Grants:Project/Wikipedian Effectiveness Training
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Explain the problem that you are trying to solve with this project. What is the issue you want to address? You can update and add to this later.
Community health is an issue. As the projects grow, the number of communication hurdles among Wikipedians multiply. Training Wikipedians in concrete skills will increase their effectiveness.
What is your solution?
Have selected Wikipedians follow an Effectiveness Training during Learning Days prior to Wikimania. Training will be by a certified trainer with a license.
This will build on Community_Capacity_Development/Conflict_management experiences and ideas. The proposed training will focus on effective communication on the Wikipedia projects between editors, which will be broader in scope than conflict management. This training can or will be part of leadership development for participants in the training.
Explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant.
- One Wikipedian wil obtain a certification and license to provide Effectiveness Trainings;
- At least one group of (say ten) Wikipedians will be training in concrete communication skill and become more effective.
The first training will be a pilot. Subsequent trainings will be adapted on feedback received. After participation in a Wikipedian Effectiveness Training, it is expected that the participating Wikipedians will have learned how to:
- Determine who “owns the problem” in a given situation.
- Identify the 12 Roadblocks to communication.
- Distinguish between Roadblocks and Active Listening.
- Avoid the Roadblocks that cause most helping attempts to fail.
- Recognize when fellow Wikipedians need your help as a skilled listener.
- Use silence, acknowledgments and door-openers to help another person with a problem.
- Active Listen to hear another’s feelings.
- Active Listen to clarify information.
- Distinguish between Acceptable and Unacceptable Behavior.
- Determine what to do when another's behavior is interfering with you meeting your needs.
- Develop a three-part Confrontative I-Message.
- Confront another’s unacceptable behavior with an I-Message.
- Shift gears between I-Messages and Active Listening when appropriate.
- Acknowledge others’ efforts with Appreciative I-Messages.
- Prevent problems and conflicts using Preventive I-Messages.
- Recognize conflict situations.
- Distinguish between Conflicts-of-Needs and Values Collisions.
- Avoid the use of Method I.
- Avoid the use of Method II.
- Set the stage for Method III Conflict Resolution.
- Use Method III to resolve a conflict you have with another person.
- Use Method III to mediate a conflict between others.
- Handle Values Collisions.
- Use the Principle of Participation when there’s an issue or problem involving team members.
- I will follow three modules to become a certified trainer. I have already started with the first module in September 2016. Expected completion of the first module will be January 2017. The second and third module might be followed in the first half of 2017.
- I will develop (a pilot) Wikipedian Effectiveness Training based on the Leader Effectiveness Training by GTI. The training will be tailored to the communication environment of Wikipedians, where most communication is online. Use will be made of available experience with for example conflict management training given in Ukraine.
- I will deliver a training to (say ten) Wikipedians during Learning Days prior to Wikimania.
- Cost of training a trainer modules 2 and 3 : € 3,500 (This is a training consisting of three modules. I have already started module 1, which costed € 2,250, which was paid for by my employer)
- Cost of attending Wikimanias 2017 and 2018: € 3,000
- The pilot training during Learning Days prior to Wikimania will be evaluated.
- The training can be replicated.
Measures of success
- As Effectiviness of Wikipedian increase, community health will improve, for example by measuring 'sense of community'. That type of measurement is not included in this project.
Ad Huikeshoven, former board member Wikimedia Nederland, twenty plus year professional experience as financial adviser
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- First notification
- Post in Wikipedia Weekly
- Post in Village pump at English Wikipedia
- This grant proposal was linked from The Signpost
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Erik Zachte (talk) 17:50, 8 October 2016 (UTC)
- another interesting way to adress the important issue of communication on the projects --Kritzolina (talk) 20:09, 9 October 2016 (UTC)
- I believe the goals of the training are clearly stated. It's a good idea to focus on communities and their related problems in a systematic way by someone professional. being a successful trial, it can be conducted within the regional conferences. Good luck. Mervat Salman (talk) 20:10, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
- Jon Harald Søby (talk) 10:19, 11 October 2016 (UTC)
- MADe (talk) 16:30, 13 October 2016 (UTC) super idea. I trust Ad with this.