Grants:Simple/Applications/Basic template/2020 update
This page summarizes the changes made to the basic template used for Simple Annual Plan Grant applications in August 2020 as part of a pilot to simplify the application process.
The general goals of this pilot are to:
- reduce the amount of time you spend preparing your SAPG application, while focusing on the most relevant information
- better understand your needs related to your planned programs or other organizational operations.
- further build a relationship of partnership and trust
Summaries of the changes will be organized below by application section, and examples will also be provided to make clear the level of detail / granularity that is satisfactory for review.
- Annual plan should focus mainly on what is being done differently compared to last year. Any continuing programs with no or minimal changes will not require any new explanation or summary, and can be copied verbatim or linked from a previous proposal.
- 2000-word limit on annual plan documents is recommended, and can likely be done in fewer words.
- If you have an annual plan already prepared for other purposes that is over 2000 words, it is not necessary to prepare a separate one for your SAPG application. No major revisions are needed to meet this word limit, but please clearly indicate any new programs or changes from last year.
- Staffing Plan, if needed, will require only the following information:
- Name of staff roles
- Names of individuals filling those roles (if known)
- Brief description of responsibilities focusing on main responsibilities (perhaps 2-3 sentences, or a list of most important). A full job description is OK to provide if available, but is not required.
- Indication of FTE (full-time equivalent hours) and duration of employment / contract.
- Focus on newer roles only. Existing roles that are unchanged can be copied verbatim from past applications.
- Budget plan should include:
- Total budget for each program
- Overall budget for major activities in a program, but not necessary to provide budget for specific activity-level expenses (such as travel, food, equipment, swag, etc.)
- Staffing / compensation costs for each funded role
- Operational expenses with some level of detail, especially around larger expenses such as office space, accounting expenses, and supplies.
- Total budget for each program
- No changes to Strategic Plan section. This section remains optional for affiliates who are new to the SAPG program or are developing their organizational strategic plan.
Example Staffing Plan
Example Budget Plan
- Each program should contain only the following information:
- Name of program
- Brief description of overall program
- A comprehensive list of activities for a program is optional, and no extensive description of these activities is required.
- Description of SMART objectives or goals for that program
- Target metrics at the overall program level (not the activity level)
- Brief explanation (2-3 sentences) of why this program is important in relation to your organizational strategy or movement strategy.
Grant Metrics Reporting
- Please continue to set targets and report outcomes using the metrics worksheet as in past grant applications.
- We expect that there will be uncertainty around many or all targets due to the pandemic. If circumstances make it difficult to reach your targets, you may change your targets at your discretion to better fit what can be realistically achieved. Please contact your program officer at simplewikimedia.org when these changes are needed.
NEW SECTION: Needs Request
- In this section, you can make specific requests of the Community Resources Team or other Wikimedia Foundation teams related to your needs or concerns. We will provide separate categories for requests including:
- Suggestions for the the SAPG application process
- Requests for grant-related programmatic support (for example, staff guidance or expertise related to a GLAM or Education program)
- Requests for operational support (e.g. guidance or support around practices or tools for communication, staffing, finances, or other operations)
- You can contact Simple APG program officers privately at simplewikimedia.org instead of using this section in your application, and is recommended if the request is particularly sensitive (e.g. legal concerns).
- Learning Patterns and Program Story are not required, but we would still welcome any blog posts or stories extending from your organization’s work and achievements.