- Application or grant stage: grant in progress
- Applicant or grantee: Wikimedia Community of Republika Srpska
- Amount requested: 16.070,00 EUR (~$US17,903.69)
- Amount granted: 13,400 EUR ($15,000)
- Funding period: 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020
- Application created: April 30 2019
- Recommended application date: 1 May 2019
- Midpoint report due: 15 January 2020
- Final report due: 30 July 2020
Please use the templates provided to add information about each program you are planning for the upcoming funding period.
Editing workshop at the Law Faculty of the University of East Sarajevo.
Edit-a-thon in high school, in Višegrad.
The activities to be carried by the community in the designated period and which are part of the educational program are related to the expansion of cooperation with educational institutions. Expansion of cooperation involves the inclusion of new institutions in partnerships and maintaining relationships with partners with which we have already established cooperation.
Previous experience has shown the necessity of involving professors and teachers in cooperation. In order to ensure further sustainability of the education program, the Community will educate teachers of targeted institutions (faculties, secondary schools) for working on Wikimedia projects.
During the indicated period, the community will be focused on the improvement of educational program through the increasing a number of professors (represents of new educational institutions and institutions with which cooperation has already been established) involved in cooperation.
The accent will be on the training of professors to work on Wikimedia projects through a one-day seminar for teachers.
In addition to working on the creation of free content, the community will work on the education of the public on topics related to the Wikimedia movement and free knowledge. The main objective of these activities is to motivate and encourage participants to join the community and through their engagement contribute to the Wikimedia movement.
- partner relations establishment with new educational institutions;
- further improving relations with institutions with which community already had cooperation;
- inclusion of professors with work on Wikimedia projects;
- the increasing number of content on Wikimedia projects (especially Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons);
- increase in the number of newly registered users originating from educational institutions;
- inclusion of professors and teachers in cooperation and work on Wikimedia projects;
- creating a network for cooperation with teachers and professors from educational institutions.
Measures of success:
- number of institutions we will work with: 10;
- number of planned activities: 1;
- number of participants-professors: 20;
- the teacher from 4 regions of Republic of Srpska will be gathered
- at least 20 professors will be included in cooperation on educational activities;
- number of new or edited articles: 20;
- the number of pictures placed on Wikimedia Commons: 100.
Regarding GLAM activities, Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska will focus on expansion and advancement of the current GLAM program through series of activities within projects Trace of Soul and Wiki Ambassador.
Wiki Loves Republika Srpska - Trace of Soul photo-contests
Trace of Soul 2018 - Natural Heritage.
Trace of Soul 2018 - Prize-giving ceremony.
Trace of Soul is a photo competition which is organized for the fifth time in the Republic of Srpska aimed at collecting photos of natural and cultural assets of the Republic of Srpska. After successful completion of last year's competition, within which 2.160 photographs of natural and cultural-historical monuments from the Republic of Srpska, we wish, now traditionally, to organize the competition for the fifth time and to continue good practices towards the achievement of our goal. The project, in addition to the competition, includes supporting activities - an edit-a-thon and three photo-tours on the territory of three different geographical areas of Republic of Srpska where there have been no similar activities.
Like every year, the community will be focused on collecting photographs of monuments that are not represented through promotional activities in targeted areas.
From 1 July to 31 October 2019
- increase the number free photos related to these monuments on Wikimedia Commons;
- increase the number of articles related to these monuments on Wikipedia;
- popularisation of Wikimedia’s mission and vision in Republica of Srpska;
- expand the free knowledge idea;
- attract new volunteers and community members.
Measures of succes:
- 2000 photos;
- 80 participants;
- <10% photos will be used in Wikipedia in first 7 weeks after the competition;
- 20 media coverage;
- community will be stronger than now;
- 30 new articles will be written or Improved.
Wiki ambassador at the Museum of Old Herzegovina (Foča) - creating QR codes.
Wiki ambassador in Republic Center for research of war, war crimes and search for missing persons.
Wiki ambassador at the Museum of Old Herzegovina (Foča).
Wiki ambassador 2017 - Višegrad.
The Wiki ambassador in the Republic of Srpska is a project that implies the implementation of the Vikimedians and the Wikipedians in educational, GLAM or similar institutions in order to collect relevant data that is difficult to come by due to lack of literature on the Internet.
It was started in 2016. Thanks to this project the community realized cooperation with 4 GLAM institutions of state importance and on that occasion 260 new referenced articles in Wikipedia were created in Serbian, more than 200 photos were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. Also within the framework of this project 4 permanent sets of one museum were marked with QR codes.
In particular, it is planned to cooperate with two GLAM institutions through this project. A total of three delegates from the Wikimedia community of Republic of Srpska will be delegated for this job.
In one GLAM institution - National and university library of Republic of Srpska, that is in Banja Luka, the most important city in Republika Srpska the ambassador will stay 4 work days during which, in cooperation with the employees of the library will work on digitalization of exhibition material and catalogs of national importance that will be placed on the project Wikisource. In addition, the delegated Wiki ambassador will educate and inform the employees with all of the Wikimedia projects. Also, for that occasion, the articles related to free content will be created and edited on Serbian Wikipedia.
The second part of activities would be realized in Višegrad in cooperation with Touristic organization of Višegrad, through 5 working visits. Besides training of employees, the ambassador would hold a thematically focused editing workshop. For that occasion would be realized one editing workshop, during which would be created new articles and updated old articles with quality sources and photographs. Also, the content would be translated into English and placed on English Wikipedia. After the completion of the above-mentioned works, through the QRpedia system, the resulting contents would be linked to QR codes that would be placed on the most important monuments in Višegrad.
The project will enrich Wikimedia projects - Wikipedia, Wiki Commons and Wikisource with relevant content related to cultural and natural heritage, tourism and history of Republic of Srpska. Also, it will positively affect the promotion of Wikipedia thanks to scanning QR codes in a city that annually visits about 250,000 tourists. Cooperation with mentioned institutions will ensure the relevance and reliability of data and references.
From 1 November 2019 to 1 March 2020
- expansions and improvement of GLAM programs in Republic of Srpska;
- working with serious and very important partners as a positive reference for future activities and attracting new partners;
- implementation of Wikimedia projects within GLAM institutions;
- idea exchange and creation of common ground for future cooperation;
- enriching Wikipedia with new content;
- QR codes implementation.
Measures of success:
- 9 working visits;
- 2 new very important GLAM institutions involved in cooperation;
- 1 editing workshop;
- 3 free books on the Wikisource project (~ 300 pages);
- 5 important cultural and historical monuments marked with QR codes;
- 40 new or updated articles;
- 20 new users;
- geographical coverage - the inclusion of 2 cities and the realization of activities;
- 10 media announcements;
- 20 participants;
- 150 photographs;
- 50 new followers on social networks.
The community is the foundation and starting point for the implementation of the Wikimedia projects locally, hence it is essential that it works harmoniously and remains vigorous. In the coming period, the community will take into account the motivation of members and the maintenance of positive communication in order to ensure the functionality of the community as a basic initiator. This will be an important prerequisite for the success of projects.
Wikimedia Start Republic of Srpska 2019 - Local Conference.
Local Conference - workshop.
Wikimedia Start Republic of Srpska 2019 - photo tour.
Wikimedia Start Republic of Srpska 2019 - exposing participants.
During a specified period, a two-day local conference will be held that will include a minimum of 30 participants. The conference will bring together the Wikimedians and the Wikipedians who are part of the Wikimedia community of Republika Srpska and those who are not, but have taken part in some activities and supported the work of the community.
The purpose of the conference is to motivate participants to work more actively and to give them a sense of belonging to the community. In addition, the idea is to create a quality program in which to make advanced lectures, in addition to getting familiar with Wikimedia projects, so that everyone can find the right sphere of interest and acquire relevant knowledge and skills that they later use to the community. It is of utmost importance to the community that as many of its members are adequately trained to work in the community, because, as the community is expanding, the scope of work becomes bigger and it is very difficult to achieve good results while several people do everything. (from macro and micro planning, through implementation to submission of reports). Also, on the margins of the conference, meetings would be organized with participants to discuss future projects and future engagement of the participants.
From 1 February to 30 April 2020
- at least 1 local conference will be held in the designated period with at least 30 participants;
- promote Wikipedia and emphasize its importance;
- promote Wikimedia;
- encourage new volunteers for participation in Wikimedia mission promotion;
- Wikimedia and its projects promotion through conference participants’ introduction with guiding principles and most important achievements;
- popularization of Wikipedia and its opportunities by highlighting its multidisciplinary nature for the target audience;
- recruitment of new Wikipedia users and editors through the introduction to Wikipedia environment and article management;
- Wikimedia Commons popularization through group introduction to the project, its possibilities, and importance;
- target audience familiarization with CC licenses with the accent on their importance;
- Wikimedia community in Republic of Srpska capacity building through exchange of new ideas and shared activities on improvement and implementation of already planned project ideas in the Republic of Srpska;
- improvement of already existing Wikimedia community from Republic of Srpska members cooperation;
- improvement of already attained capacities of Wikimedia community of Republic of Srpska through a positive influence on the enthusiasm of current members;
- positive influence on the general public in the Republic of Srpska with the aim to create a healthy foundation for future projects in our region where Wikimedia and its projects will be recognized as positive and meaningful.
Measures of success:
- 30 participants;
- 20 media announcements;
- >5 new community members;
- 50-100 Facebook followers/page likes;
- at least 4 new collaborations between volunteers;
- Stronger community;
- >6 new users will become active members in next 3 months (active member is a member who will be active on some offline activities, who will leading online projects or will be an active editor on a Wiki project;
- 2 agreements on new projects.
Competitions - Meet Srpska
Meet Srpska 2018 - edit-a-thon.
Meet Srpska 2018 - photo-tour.
In order to strengthen the link within the community and to establish a viable connection with the users and editors of the Wikimedia projects, as well as to establish cooperation with potential new partners, a competition will be organized in which the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons will be focused.
Project Meet Srpska involves editing workshop and competition in writing articles and a photo tour which would focus on collecting photographs of the Republic of Srpska. The project goal is increasing the number of articles on Wikipedia, and the increasing number of photos on Wikimedia Commons.
Meet Srpska is a project for the fourth time organized in the Republic of Srpska. The project has so far justified and exceeded our expectations and goals. During the last year’s competition international partners cooperated, so one part of articles have been translated into other languages - Greek and Arabic. The project Meet Srpska has been recognized as significant both by the local community and the Wikipedia community which always gladly participates.
From 1 October 2019 to 31 January 2020
- increasing quality content on Wikipedia regarding different topics related with Republic of Srpska;
- increasing number of photos from Republic of Srpska;
- promotion of Wikimedia and its projects;
- gaining new users;
- gaining and inclusion of new community members;
- promotion of our community on the local level.
Measures of success:
- 10 new users;
- 3 new community members;
- 2 partners involved in activities (organizations or institutions);
- 200 articles will be written or improved;
- 200 photos;
- 15 media releases;
- 50 new followers on social networks;
- <40 participants.
Gender gap - Wiki Women
Wiki Women Republic of Srpska logo.
Wiki Women from Republic of Srpska.
Wiki Women Republic of Srpska - group photo.
Following the successful launch of the first Gender Gap program in the Republic of Srpska, in order to further contribute to overcoming the gender gap within the Wikimedia projects and in general, within the community at the local level, the community will continue to expand and upgrade the Gender Gap program in Republika Srpska. In particular, the existing activities will be improved in terms of involving new editors in terms of covering a wider geographic area.
In the already established program, we will include editors from one more city - a regional center. The community will work on acquiring and establishing cooperation with local women's organizations. It will also help to create conditions for achieving a longer-term goal - forming the Wiki Women group within the Wikimedia Community of Republika Srpska.
From 1 March to 1 May 2020
- formation of the third group of women editors in the Republic of Srpska;
- upgrade of Gender gap program in the Republic of Srpska;
- gaining new partners;
- enriching Wikipedia with content which is poorly represented on it;
- bridging the gender gap;
- expanding community - the inclusion of new female members in work;
- motivating of women to edit and work on Wikimedia projects;
- establishing cooperation with women organizations.
Measures of success:
- one project will contain 2 workshops;
- 1 one edit-a-thon;
- 1 photo-tour;
- at least 15 participants;
- 15 new female participants;
- 60 new articles;
- 200 photographs uploaded on Wikimedia Commons;
- 8 media announcements;
- at least 2 partner women organizations.
Cooperation with media representatives.
The Community will work to spread the vision of an open knowledge through participation in various events, public lectures and participation in seminars in the function of the lecturer. In addition, as before, the community will continue the good practice and maintain regular communication with the media through the organization of press conferences, sending press releases and participation in radio and TV shows. This will contribute to attracting new partners and potential members of the community and promote Wikimedia goals and projects in general.
1 Jul 2019 to 1 May 2020
- at least 2 public event;
- regular cooperation with media regular cooperation with media;
- promotion of open knowledge and mission and vision of Wikimedia;
- promotion of Wikimedia and its projects;
- gaining new partners;
- attracting new users.
Measures of success:
- 2 new partnerships;
- 100 media announcements.
Please use the templates below to add information about each staff or contractor position you are planning during the upcoming funding period.
Budget and resource plan