Before you can apply, you will need to show these four things.
- Your group or organization is closely aligned with the Wikimedia Foundation's mission. Most applicants to APG programs are Wikimedia Affiliates, or organizations devoted solely to Wikimedia work.
- Your group is able to legally receive grant funds from WMF, and has a bank account. In rare cases, a fiscal sponsorship may be permitted.
- You can demonstrate a history of consistent program success and learning, that matches your request.
- You can demonstrate a history of organizational effectiveness and resource management, that matches your request, including good practices in decision making, volunteer engagement, HR, and finance, as well as a commitment to respecting friendly space expectations.
What you need to know about Simple Annual Plan Grants before you apply.
- What do annual plan grants fund? All the operating and program expenses you need funding for during your grant period.
- You will not be able to receive additional Project or Rapid grants during the grant period (exception for organizing international conferences).
- These are restricted grants, which means you need to follow your spending plan and receive advance permission to make changes to your budget.
- Limitations. Grants should be between 6 months and 12 months. Please contact simplewikimedia.org to inquire about funding limits, which depend on several factors.
- Applicants requesting large grants or grants including staff or contractors will be held to high standards in organizational and program effectiveness.
- There may be limits placed on your specific application, for budget or staffing, during the eligibility process.
- New applicants are not eligible to request paid staff until they have demonstrated several years experience with annual planning, or unless they already have paid staff in place. Applicants wishing to grow beyond 1.0 FTE must have 1-2 years experience managing paid staff.
- When to contact WMF. You should request your application as soon as you think you may apply, so you have an idea of what you are eligible to request in advance.
- After you submit your application using the button below, WMF staff will contact you to arrange a meeting.
- WMF will work with you to assess whether you are eligible to apply, and to inform you of any limits for budget and staffing in advance of your application.
- If you are eligible, WMF will set up your application form and post a formal notice of eligibility including rationale before you submit your application.