Grants:TPS/Ben Moore/22nd Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology/Report
< Grants:TPS | Ben Moore/22nd Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular BiologyJump to navigation Jump to search
|This Wikimedia Participation Support report has been accepted by the Wikimedia Participation Support Committee.To see the original request, please visit Grants:TPS/Ben Moore/22nd Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology.|
Event name: WikiProject Computational Biology Tutorial at ISMB 2014
Outcome: (choose one from below)
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome of the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to new articles, tools, or collaborations that happened).
- Due to our tutorial (see also Daniel's report), we were invited to present at the ISCB (International Society for Computational Biology) education committee meeting to advance a Wikimedia perspective on developing and implementing a computational biology curriculum (see the presentation embedded here). This has led to an exciting collaboration with the ISCB education committee, which will start by the publication of a perspective piece we will write (in collaboration with WikiProject Computational Biology members) on how various Wikimedia items relate to bioinformatics education; for example, we are communicating with core contributors of the Next Generation Sequencing Wikibook about the potential of restarting an open bioinformatics textbook in earnest. Other ideas are to define core article lists (primarily for en-wiki, via the WikiProject) for the computational biology community to focus on, as well as matching curriculum stages with en-wiki articles and commons media. This should be published before the end of the year and I'll update this report with a link once this happens.
- Flights were booked through Wikimedia travel manager directly, no funds were dispersed to me. Total cost of return flight: 1,438.20 USD
Amount left over (please specify currency):
Anything else you want to share?
- Our attendance at ISMB helped maintain and strengthen the collaborations between Wikimedia projects and the computational biology community. During the conference, a meeting of the board of directors of the ISCB confirmed that the Wikipedia article competition will continue, and we understand it was awarded additional prize funds.