Grants:TPS/Ckoerner/SMWCon Fall 2015
This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I would like to bring more participation from third-party MediaWiki users into the Wikimedia movement. There are thousands of wikis around the world being used in various industries. The community and the MediaWiki users miss out when we don't share and work together - to improve the software that enables us all to share so much information.
SMWCon is one of the - if not THE - largest gatherings of third-party MediaWiki users every year. My work with the MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group has been to better understand the landscape of MediaWiki users and their needs and then act upon those to improve both the community and software for all users. I believe that attendance at SMWCon will be a boon for furthering the conversation and gathering more input, participation, and knowledge around how people are using MediaWiki.
Goal and expected impact
I would like to present on this work and ask the SMW community how they envision the future of MediaWiki. I believe their feedback and participation are necessary to further develop MediaWiki and the greater Wikimedia community.
- Travel (round trip airfare from St. Louis, MO USA (STL) to Barcelonia: USD 1,400
- Accommodation; USD 278 (Air BnB - $57 x 4 nights (plus fees))
- I have worked closely with Chris in the MediaWiki Stakeholder's group since meeting him at SMWCon in Montreal last year. He successfully organized this Spring's SMWCon in St Louis and help #MwStake produce a survey of MediaWiki users. Chris' ability to clearly communicate our goals makes him a great asset.
- I expect that, with his presence at the Fall SMWCon, the results for the larger MediaWiki community will be obvious and indisputable. ☠MarkAHershberger☢(talk)☣ 20:27, 30 July 2015 (UTC)
- Being involved with both the MediaWiki Stakeholder's group and SMW, it'd be great to have the perspective of Chris Koerner be present at SMWCon. Jeroen De Dauw (talk) 20:52, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
- Chris should definitely go there. Besides his very active involvement in SMW and last years's SWMCon in Montreal, he also researches MediaWiki use for the MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group. So he is a very engaged member of the MediaWiki community and bridge builder between SMW and MediaWiki world. --Mglaser (talk) 19:57, 10 August 2015 (UTC)