Welcome back from Wikimania 2015!
Hindustanilanguage (Syed Muzammiluddin)
Wikimedia Commons - although my main activity is now focused on Urdu and Hindi Wikipedia.
This is my first Wikimania
- Hackathon event during the conference helped in addressing some of the nagging bugs of the Urdu Wikipedia.
- It was also instrumental in suggestion for activating a categorising bot for Hindi Wikipedia similar to the ones in Urdu.
- Sometime back I suggested the idea of Shahmukhi-Gurmukhi Punjabi Wikipedia integration in a WMF blog. I am glad to find that two of the interviewees - Satdeep Gill and Khalid Mahmood actually met each other and discussed further avenues of cooperation.
- I am glad to meet one of the Esperanto Wikipedians. I had earlier blogged for Esperanto Wikipedia on WMF blog.
- I met Ozkan from Turkish Wikipedia whom I had interviewed (User:Rapsar) sometime back. I asked help from his side to interview other Turkish Wikipedians for a possible WMF blog coverage. I am glad that a discussion on this issue has started on Turkish Wikipedia for this purpose. Some of the responses from Turkish Wikipedians have already been recorded.
- A great idea evolved during Wikimania was to form "Wikimedia SAARC" during Indic Languages Meetup, to include other SAARC nations and languages.
- Also discussed during during Wikimania is the idea of a Pan-India Wiki Conference, similar to 2011, which I had attended then.
- I strongly argued for a Pan-Urdu Wikipedia Meet involving participants from both India and Pakistan during the Indic Languages Meetup.
- During the Indic Indic Languages Meetup, I asserted the need for holding Hindi Wiki Sammelan and listed the developments in this direction from the group meeting held earlier this year.
- I was glad to meet Biplab Anand and Wikimedians from Nepal. I had interviewed him for a WMF blog on Maithili Wikipedia and also worked to jointly take Maithili Wikipedia out of incubator.
- Nepali Wikipedians also discussed with me about the possibility of getting Awadhi Wikipedia out of incubator as well as opportunities of showcasing developments of Nepali Wikimedians on WMF blog.
- I was also able to discuss the prospect of holding a comparative study of user perceptions of Wikivoyage and Wikitravel. This perceived project was hamstrung because of two issues:
- Unlike classified statistics of Wikivoyage which can reached on Wikistats, there is no easy avenue for analyzing Wikitravel statistics.
- Unlike Wikimedia projects where users enjoy lots of freedom on talk pages (user talk/ article talk), Wiki-mail, etc, Wikitravel seems to impose many restrictions as can be seen in these exchange of communication.
- I discussed with Lane Raspberry some of the issues confronting Indian Wikipedians on English Wikipedia.
- Other important observations during Wikimania were the different editing cultures of Wiki communities, e.g. the degree of interpersonal interaction on-Wiki v/s off-Wiki (social media/email,etc) among the users, projects, bots, etc.
- I also discussed several important points about WMF blogs with Joe Sutherland.
* It was also a great learning experience and I attended a number of sessions in this Wikimania.
During this Wikimania, I was able to interact with a number of personalities. While it is difficult to list all names, I am listing a few of them:
- Ellie Young
- Asaf Bartov
- Rosemary Rein
- Victor Grigas
- Katherine Maher
- Joe Sutherland
- Walter Gomez
- James Heilman
- Patricio Lorente
- Naureen Nayyar
- Phoebe Ayers
- All Indian Wikimania attendees.
- Stall/booth operators of Wikimedia User Groups/Chapters from Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland, South Africa, China, Ukraine, Algeria,Egypt and Nepal.
- Individual connections with several individuals, including Lane Rasberry, Josh Lim, Ozkan, Mardetanha and several other individuals who participated in this Wikimania.
- Interaction with people working on diverse project such as Dr Ziko van Djik and Sara Mörtsell
- First time awareness and interaction with Nahwat language, people and Wikipedians