This Wikimedia Participation Support request was not funded. Reasons have been communicated with the request submitter on the Discussion page.
Like active socio-anthropologist wikipedian with an expertise about French community Wikipedia organization in particular and other organizations in general, I go to Cape Verde, between the 11th of February and the 1st of April, to meet wikimedia user and local associations to organize presentations, workshops, Wikipedia offline demonstrations and find partnerships to grow up the visibility and the use of Wikipedia in Cape Verde. After a first experience in India, my vision is also to promote user groups and make them able to organize permanent edit or activity. All Informations about this project are already accessible on the page A wikimedian explorer in Cape Verde.
For this project I've already established two contacts for collaboration with other Wikimedia Project :
- User:Kelson leader of Kiwix. We are in contact for promoting Wikimedia offline in Cabo Verde where Internet connection has bad reputation. An other micro grant is already edited to bring in Cabo Verde a Kiwix Plug and make Wikipedia offline demonstrations.
- User:AVrana_(WMF) which is responsive for wmf:Wikimedia Zero in Africa area. We are in contact and we must discus about how making lobbying to help her founding a partner for Wikipedia free access by mobile phone.
- Other contact are in instance to be established.
Goal and expected impact
As a result of my wikimedia explorer experience, I'm inspecting various things :
- Give an over view of the situation of Wikipedia in Cape Verde in term of visibility and use.
- Try to meet local peoples interested to edit on Wikipedia and learn about wikimedia.
- Promote local user group for editing relevant topic about Cabo Verde in Wikipeida and soon as possible assume basic workshop about wikipedia for local organizations.
- Promote the offline access of Wikipedia.
- Collaborate with Wikipedia Zero project to make lobying with partner to permit a free free Wikipedia access with mobile phone providers.
- Edit by my self some topic in French or English.
- Make a report which could be useful for other similar experiences.
- Cheapest Fly tickets :
- 45 € for embassy in Brussels
- 80 € for hotel reservation asked by the embassy.
- Total : 585,44 €
Advance disbursement are already not possible, but if the grant were to be accepted, it's welcome soon as possible. I'm unfortunately an unemployed very low budget volunteer ...
This is a little bit late, but I endorse Lionel's grant request. Lionel knows well Wikipedia and is used to do this kind of educational travels. He is also Wikipedia offline ambassador and used to make extremely good reports from his travels (see here for example). Cape Verde is also an amazing place where we don't have so much contacts and where it makes sense to advert our projects. For all these reasons, I think this is a promising travel which needs a little support on our side. Kelson (talk) 09:37, 9 February 2015 (UTC)