Vietnamese Wikipedia (w:vi:)
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- I've been incorporating my experiences into various discussions both on-wiki and off during the past month. Spurred on by this report, I've summarized my experiences for the whole Vietnamese Wikipedia community to read. This summary is currently linked from our village pump and shared in the public Vietnamese Wikipedia Facebook group. I also wrote a detailed description of the event for colleagues at the startup I work for, since they have a lot to gain from increased collaboration with the Wikimedia movement.
I have amassed a heap of business cards. Everyone and their sockpuppet has a fancy business card! This is just the tip of the iceberg:
- Worked with Halfak and A Certain White Cat to set up a revision scoring model for Vietnamese (fingers crossed).
- Consulted with Thiemo Kreuz and Katie Filbert in integrating Wikidata into OpenStreetMap's iD editor (ongoing).
- Traded stories from the sysop trenches with AddisWang, Taweetham, Meursault2004, Sky Harbor, ZZhou, and several others, and worked out some possible Asian interwiki collaborations in the months ahead.
- Discussed with Econterms some possible future GLAM collaborations that would benefit the Vietnamese Wikisource.
- Roan Kattouw and DannyH have approached me about using the Vietnamese Wikipedia as a testbed for exciting new technologies like Flow.
- Discussed future directions for the multilingual project portals with Deskana.
- Chatted with The Interior about censorship and what it would take to begin a Wikipedia Library in Vietnamese. (Shortly after, an enterprising Wikipedian began doing just that.)
- Johan Gyllenspetz and I turn out to be big fans of each others' map startups.
- Last but not least, my awesome roommate, Mohamed Ouda.
This was an incredible whirlwind of a conference, equal parts productive and inspiring, and I look forward to attending future Wikimanias.