- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Earth photo contest in Ukraine
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 01 May 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- 10 June 2013
- Please describe this project in 1 - 2 sentences
- The goal of the photo contest is to collect free pictures of Ukraine’s Natural Heritage sites, landscapes and ornamental gardens in order to illustrate articles on Wikipedia and other Wikiprojects (Wikivoyage, Wikinews, Wikiquote etc.).
- Currency requested (you must specify a currency)
- Amount requested in currency requested
- USD 1995.50
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- US$ 1995.50
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in USD
- UAH 799.3 per US$ 100.0 (quoted from bank.gov.ua on 10 April 2013)
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- 01 May 2013
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- EX: 4 fulltime staff and 2 part-time contractors (50% each).
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- EX: A complete list of staff and contractors is available at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors.
- Primary contact name
- Nataliya Tymkiv / Наталія Тимків
- Primary contact username or email
- antanana, attolippip at gmail dot com
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- Treasurer (Board Vice-President on Finance)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Євген Букет / Yevhen Buket
- Project lead username or email
- Jbuket, buket at wikimediaukraine dot org dot ua
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Organization Member
Goals and measures of success
- This statement describes what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- The goal of the photo contest is to collect and publish under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license pictures of Ukraine’s Natural Heritage sites, landscapes and ornamental gardens in order to illustrate articles on Wikipedia and other Wikiprojects (Wikivoyage, Wikinews, Wikiquote etc.). The idea is pretty much the same as Wiki Loves Monuments contest, but natural monuments are the main concern here. The list of the objects already has almost 8 000 sites and we continue to mark geolocations of the sites.
We have already made some steps to promote the contest:
- An initial press release was issued and published on WMF blog,
- website of the contest was established,
- during February and March media statements were made,
- presentation/round table on the 10th of April was organized
Thus we know that the project will draw attention of the photography lovers and inspire them to take part in the contest and make contributions to Wikimedia projects (mostly Wikimedia Commons, but we do believe that there will be Wikipedia and Wikivoyage articles created and improved along the way). This will help to create a unique database of free-license content of Ukraine’s Natural Heritage.
Measures of success
- Provide a list of measurable criteria will you use to determine if your project was successful. You will need to report on the success of your project according to these measures after your project is completed.
- number of participants;
- number of illustrations uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- number of publications.
- number of newly ilustrated articles about the natural heritage sites
- number of newly registered editors
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded.
- List of activities
- What will happen if this project is funded? Who will do what, and when?
- Wiki Loves Earth Awards Ceremony is to be organized. It is to take place in Kyiv on World Environment Day on June 5, 2013. The selection of the winning photographs will be held by that time by the jury that is being formed at the moment. We have already negotiated with the partners about strong media support and the main prizes.
- We (WLE contest org committee) shall:
- book a hall;
- order food & beverages to be served;
- perform event logistics (prizewinners and jury members transfers and sending prizes to those who cannot attend the ceremony in person);
- prepare special "certificates" and some Wikimedia related mementos (souvenirs) to be given to the winners and jury members;
- publish contest winners' pictures as a set of postcards or wall calendars. Recycled paper will be used for this.
Provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here
Note that grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Main Prizes||TBD (to be determined) ||Per (main) nomination / per place||4.00||300.00||1200.00||USD||A half of this budget line will be provided by partners|
|2||Hall Rent||Hall Rent for the Awards Ceremony||Per hour||3.00||50.00||150.00||USD|
|3||Food & Beverages||Stand-up party||Per person||40.00||7.50||300.00||USD||We are going to buy snacks (products) ourselves (it will be cheaper this way, as most firms charge for serving additionally)|
|4||Travel and post expenses||Two way train/bus tickets or post expenses||Per person||10.00||20.00||200.00||USD||This money will be used to compensate prizewinners and jury members travel expenses (or post expenses)|
|5||Additional Prizes & Awards||Souvenirs (cactus, cups etc.), the finishing touches are to be put to the contest logo||Per person||25.00||10.00||250.00||USD||We shall hand them out as "green certificates"|
|6||Publishing||Postcards and Wall calendars with the best pictures from the contest||Per postcard set (10 pictures each) /
per wall calendar (with 12 pages) /
per wall calendar (a poster)
|USD||We are going to print them out on the recycled paper|
|7||Bank fees and exchange gain/loss||Exchange fees, Bank Account fees and exchange gain/loss||Per project||1.00||37.50||37.50||USD|
|8||http://wle.org.ua website support||Domain name registration and website hosting||Per year||5.00||20.00||100.00||USD||The current year was funded by volunteers|
|9||Technical support||List conversion computer program and uploading tools development||Per hour||40.00||5.00||200.00||USD||It was done on a volunteer basis by Ilya|
- Total project budget
- USD 2815.50
- Total amount requested
- USD 1995.50
- Are there additional sources of revenue that will fund any part of this project? List them here.
- Charitable donations by partners (Vadym Stolar, KPMG-Ukraine, Prosvita, Fashion House Rito and others)
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. You should inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any such requirements now.
- We shall request use of Wikimedia's marks on our banners and mementos.
- We may want to publish a blog post on our project on Wikimedia Foundation's blog. We will need help reaching out to the communications team at WMF to coordinate this.
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
Consider including the following information:
- List of team members (names or usernames):
- a skype chat was also started and a google group for better communication
- Onwiki evidence of community support (such as a project about this discussion):
- WLE contest discussion page (in Ukrainian)
- Endorsements from community members or movement groups:
- Wiki project was organized (in Ukrainian)
- Special skills or qualifications this grantee or the project lead brings to this project:
- We have a skilled Scala programmer that has developed a computer program for rendering the text lists (the ones that were given to us by the state authorities) into wiki text lists. This program will be useful for WLM 2013
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- We have conducted a very successful WLM 2012. While preparing for this contest we have taken into consideration the mistakes that were made during the WLM 2012, and there are three WLE org committee members (Jbuket, A1 and Perohanych) that were a part of WLM 2012 org committee. Thus the experience gained was not wasted.
This section will describe how the proposed project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities. It will also provide information about other benefits to Wikimedia communities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of,
- increasing reach (more people being able to access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more useful content or higher quality existing content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move your chapter or the Wikimedia community as a whole forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help your chapter achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- This project will:
- increasing reach and participation (as more people will contribute to Wikimedia Commons directly (the registration is required to take part) and to the other Wikiprojects via pictures uploaded),
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with),
- credibility (more trust in our projects, f. ex., Wikipedia and Wikivoyage),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (we shall be more prepared for WLM 2013 contest, other chapters may join in),
- financial sustainability (we are going to establish new business contacts that may be useful for us in general, and for future WLM 2013 in particular)
- If your project will benefit a specific online community, please list that here. For example, English Wiktionary.
- Ukrainian Wikipedia and Ukrainian Wikivoyage directly. And all the other Wiki projects via Wikimedia Commons pictures
- Provide a brief statement (about 1 paragraph) about how your project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. Does your project fit into a work area such as GLAM, Education, Organization Development, Editor Retention, or Outreach?
- This project falls into Outreach program area since it will be aimed at recruiting and supporting new Wikimedians and building strong relationships with cultural and educational institutions.
- If successful, does your project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1 - 2 sentences.
- This project has a high potential to be replicated by other chapters. For one thing, we shall create a database that is unique for our state (there is no joint natural heritage sites database at all).
- Please list any other benefits that this project will produce.
- The positive press coverage generated by the launch event should increase the presence of free knowledge groups in our country. And raise awareness of the problems with our natural heritage sites (as there is no joint database and almost no control from community, some state authorities are actually selling pieces of preserved lands)
- The contest itself starts on April 15, 2013. But we shall not need the money requested at once
- The Awards Ceremony will be held on June 5, 2013. A few days are needed to make the final payments
- There are users that 'hate' having pictures not used in any articles, and the newcomers may want to try 'how will it look if...?'
- It will consist of scientists (ecologists and regional ethnographists), wikipedians and professional photographers. We have also invited Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, but are not sure about their readiness to participate
- There is an idea to present them with a green "certificate" (a plant), f. ex. a cactus, as we are conducting an eco-friendly event
- We believe that it will be a photo camera, tablet PC, books (Prosvita is providing), vyshyvanka from Fashion House Rito etc.
- Pretty much the same as WLM ones: 1) the authors of the best pictures (top 10); 2) the authors that took pictures of the largest number of different objects (10 as well); 3) the authors of the best pictures of the region (27 at the most); 4) the users that uploaded the most pictures. It[the number of nominations] will greatly depend on quantity and quality of the works submitted. And on the prizes the partners will donate.
- The logo used was just a trial one and done on a volunteer basis, but as there was no other drawn, we have decided to keep it for the time being, but it needs to be redrawn if we are to use it for printing.
- The average net salary of a junior software engineer in Kyiv was USD 800.00 (December 2012). Thus we have approximately USD 5 per hour. There are also taxes to be calculated, but it shall complicate estimating greatly, as if this junior software engineer is a private entrepreneur, 5% are only to be added, and if s(he) is not - approximately USD 85.00 are to be paid as taxes additionally.