Grants talk:IEG/Editing Maithili Wikipedia
Eligibility confirmed, round 2 2015
This Individual Engagement Grant proposal is under review!
We've confirmed your proposal is eligible for round 2 2015 review. Please feel free to ask questions and make changes to this proposal as discussions continue during this community comments period.
The committee's formal review for round 2 2015 begins on 20 October 2015, and grants will be announced in December. See the schedule for more details.
You may be interested in adding the WOW! Editing Group to your watchlist. This current IEG project also supports mentorships between college and high school age students! Marti (WMF) (talk) 01:21, 4 October 2015 (UTC)
comments from Thepwnco
@बिप्लब आनन्द: hello and congrats on your grant proposal being confirmed as eligible for review! I have a few questions for you - and generally would like to see more details about your project activities before the formal review period begins (I am part of the IEG committee).
- Like Marti, I was going to suggest you have a look at the WOW! Editing Group project as there are quite a lot of similarities. I know from the project lead of the WOW! grant that one challenge was recruiting students and contacting schools. Do you have any ideas as to how you will recruit students or if it will be relatively easy or difficult to get in touch with schools?
- Your goal of a total of 45 classes over a 6 month period is ambitious, but I might suggest focusing on a smaller number of institutions for this project until you work out what works and what doesn't. If your proposal was funded you could always apply for a renewal later and expand to more schools at that time.
- Do you or others on the project team have any experience with teaching or running edit-a-thons?
- With regards to the section on "Sustainability" - generally in this section we like to see prospective grantees indicate how their activities and efforts outlined in their proposal will continue after the project is over. For example, you mention that you will create "a guide that can be dispersed, edited and shared with other institutions and community groups." This is just one way that your work could continue to live on after the 6 months of your project; you may know of others.
- @Thepwnco: first thanks for the concerned you shows about the project. we have got little bit of experience regarding the activities involved in such kind of project like we did during Maithili wiki creation and we have got some ideas from the WOW! Editing Group project about activities. We have already started our initiatives about the project to some of the schools in our Saptari distrcit and they gave positive response. we have a team Bijay Chaurasia, Tulsi Bhagat, Nilam Karn and Soni Chaurasia that have quite good experience regarding edit-a-thons and outreach activities. We are currently running edit-a-thons in mai wiki. It seems our project is ambitious as far as number of institutions is concerned but institutions in our area do not have sufficient number of students and among those very few have interests in such kind of projects so we decided to incorporate more institutions. Thanks --Biplab Anand (Talk to me) 07:44, 17 October 2015 (UTC)
- A guide on how to do the project could help other underappreciated wikis. Geraldshields11 (talk) 19:59, 16 October 2015 (UTC)
Aggregated feedback from the committee for Editing Maithili Wikipedia
Round 2 2015 decision
Congratulations! Your proposal has been selected for an Individual Engagement Grant.
The committee has recommended this proposal and WMF has approved funding for the full amount of your request, $1,550
Comments regarding this decision:
We appreciate this team’s commitment to inspiring the next generation of editors on Maithili Wikipedia--and we love that the team includes recent student alumni from the project lead’s school-based trainings! We’re looking forward to seeing you tackle 15 new schools, sharing your contagious enthusiasm for free knowledge.
- You will be contacted to sign a grant agreement and setup a monthly check-in schedule.
- Review the information for grantees.
- Use the new buttons on your original proposal to create your project pages.
- Start work on your project!