Grants talk:PEG/Mohamed Ouda/Egyptian Wikimedians User Group/Wikimedia projects activities in Egypt/Report
Hi Mohamed Ouda and Ahmed Mohi El din. Thank you for this grant report. It sounds like the user group supported a lot of activity over the last year and we are hoping to understand better the scope and impact of these activities. The report is missing details about lessons learned, project metrics, and additional details. Please see our questions and comments below:
- It's great to hear that so many people were involved in the editathons and that a large number of them subsequently joined the education program! Was the focus on organizing experienced Wikimedians, training new editors, or both?
- What kind of follow-up is done after the events?
- we created a facebook page to receive there question if they has any --Mohamed Ouda (talk) 13:22, 20 August 2016 (UTC)
- Is there any specific reason why 2 events were organized instead of the proposed 4?
- because many students had exams in those times and was unable to attend the editathons --Mohamed Ouda (talk) 13:22, 20 August 2016 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Monuments
- How many photographic clubs did you partner with? Were the presentations made at these clubs successful in getting photographers interested in the contest? Did any of them join as a result of the presentations?
- How many people participated in the photo trip to Nuweiba (the invoice does not include this)? Was there a Commons category specifically for this trip? Do the organizers think this type of activity is something you would like to repeat in the future?
- It's always helpful to provide links to the contest images and winning photos.
- Your goal for number of photos integrated was 10% and 6% was achieved. In addition to the prize for most linked photos in articles, did you do anything to support more photo integration?
- How did the prize giving event go? How many people attended?
- We are especially interested in your reflections on this contest as this is the third year you have organized it. Do you think you will organize it again in the future? What would you change?
User group meetings
- How have the monthly meetings supported the group's development? How many members join these meetings? How many people are involved in planning each of the main activities? In the past, we've heard that getting people involved as volunteer project organizers has been challenging. Have these meetings supported in getting more people involved in the planning of activities?
- It sounds like the writing competition was a success! Since the contest was targeted at beginners, what type of outreach did you do and how did you support them? Did you need to do any training for them or mentorship throughout the contest?
- We make outreach by advertisement for the competition there was training workshop for the contributors , and some of them was contributing also in Education program --Mohamed Ouda (talk) 10:18, 3 August 2016 (UTC)
- It's great that the top editors in the contest are still currently editing!
Wikipedia Education Program
Please provide more details on this year's activities. How many classes, teachers, and students were involved? How much content was created/improved? What successes and challenges did you encounter this year? If you have this information already posted in other places, please post the links.
- Here there are the full statistics of WEP in Egypt the first term in 2012 till the seventh term in 2015 which include numbers of created articles, featured and good articles, featured portals and lists. For the eighth term of the program progress in Cairo University, check it please. Also, you can see this newsletter and Egyptian wikimedians celebrate the eighth conference of WEP.--لا روسا (talk) 07:30, 24 July 2016 (UTC)
We believe this section of the report is the most useful for both project organizers and WMF staff to reflect on and better understand how your experiences over the last year impacted your development as a user group and future planning. Please take some more time to think about what worked well, what didn't, and what you would do differently in the future. We look back at this section when we review future grants. Since you have an open grant request for very similar activities, this is important information for us to review.
In your proposal, you broke down the metrics by project. It would be helpful then to report on them in the same way, in addition to summing them in the Global Metrics table. You also had additional metrics for the projects, listed in this section. Please include these in your report.
- There seems to be many missing receipts, but it is hard to tell without more descriptive file names (see below)
- We need to have file names be descriptive of what the receipt is for and match the item number in the budget table. Otherwise, we cannot reconcile the expense to the budget line item. Please update the file names and resend.
- Is the invoice for the WLM trip from the travel company? How many people is this for? It would be helpful to have a more detailed breakdown of the expenses. For example, how much was the accommodation and food per person? How many rental cars were needed for local transportation?
- Why are gift cards for Wiki Loves Africa included?
- How much was spent for WLM advertising? The only relevant receipts we see are for the Facebook advertising.
We are very interested in the work that your user group is doing and would really like to see more detail in your reporting. If you have questions about how to do this best, please let us know and we are happy to provide more guidance. Thanks, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 15:16, 31 July 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Mohamed Ouda and Ahmed Mohi El din. Thank you for answering some of our questions above. Please note the report is still incomplete as some sections are still missing -- lessons learned -- as well as answers to the remainder of our questions. Please let us know when you will be able to complete the report. Thanks, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 19:43, 2 September 2016 (UTC)