Grants talk:PEG/UG TH/WLM 2014/Report
Thank you for submitting your report and congratulations on a successful project! The photos are beautiful!
- We really appreciate your section on lessons learned. They are valuable and I hope we can share them more broadly. As mentioned in your current proposal, there seems to always be a decline in the number of participants year-on-year. This is in part because the competition isn't as "new" and the easiest to get to and most popular monuments are already covered. It's good to think of new ways to engage participants -- either in photo competitions or otherwise, and we recognize that this is what you are doing for 2015. In terms of getting photos of the same monuments, perhaps for 2015 you can have a list of well-covered monuments and let folks know that part of the judging criteria will be more points for monuments that have not yet been photographed.
- Will you need to revise the monument list in 2015? The list seems to have required a lot of work the past two years!
- Regarding your notes on "neglecting wiki cultures", it's definitely important for the Thai community and user group to identify what your priorities are. Participating in the international competition may not be worth it and your focus may be on quality and engaging new contributors, not quantity.
- Using the Glamrous tool you can see how many of the photos uploaded during the competition (category: Images form Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Thailand) have been used in Wikimedia projects. 190 images have been added to articles so far (178 distinct images), which is 4.15% of all images in the category. You can add this number (190) to the global metric "# of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects". I would recommend adding a similar proposed measure of success to the 2015 proposal.
- Did you do any follow-up communication encouraging people to continue to contribute to Commons or check out other ways they can contribute? If not, sending a follow-up thank you with a couple of really simple ways they can keep editing is great!
- The "budgeted total" column is a bit confusing. It should add up to the total grant request of THB 35,000.
- The reallocation request is fine. We will check back in December 2015 and will expect a report on the activities/spending within 60 days of reaching the 100,000 goal.
Thank you for your comments, Alex. I provide my responses below.
- I don't think it is saturated but I feel that we may (1) put inappropriate incentive on inappropriate audience or (2) having too much text on an info page and have a more difficult process. (Eligible monuments are in a subset of the official list.) For WLM2015, we will try to employ different strategies e.g. putting up WLM advertisement materials on monument ground (mail it to an admin office of the monument itself), involving schools/other potential partners and simplifying upload process.
- I try not to revise it. However, this is an external threat. The international team requires that we have the list with ID. The ID is issued by the government. We can't control this but we can elect to stick with the old version for now. The revision in our second year is because the government change the ID for all monuments.
- I agree with this. However, we need support from various people including WMF. We are part of the Thai community and and the international movement too. Sometimes, we need to balance all the factors to make impact for the best interest of the Thai audience. The international participation and other requirements are the price we need to pay. We are ready to abandon it if we have a better alternative.
- This is new tool for me. The number is added. It is a very powerful tool. I will use it from now on.
- We plan to do that at the same time as the launch of WLE2015/WLM2105. We had a survey in 2013 on google form. We can just use the same survey again so that we can compare the two years.
- Since the proposal has only 4 categories but I have listed all items. The same budgeted amount has to be repeated more than once. Please advise what you wish to see/feel free to edit.
- We appreciate the reallocation. We would also like to get more T-shirts asap. We ran out of stock since last month.
Thanks so much for your quick reply. We appreciate your comments. In terms of the budget, it's fine as is but in future you can just have sub-totals for each of the 4 categories. Thanks! Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 04:52, 26 January 2015 (UTC)
- Lists of cohort members for WLMTH2013 (181 members) 
Kittipong khunnen, Poco a poco, Sarawut VRW, Thammanoon chamnansin, Andromeda Oscar, Battery2029, Naumax, Archy36, Hdamm, Kornpoj, Pluak pluak, Damdramatic, Jutawiki, Jobrestful, Roopyai Art, Thanya1, Krukhwan, Deeprom, Weerayas, Panyawat boontanom, Wachararwish, Pitchayawat, Yakuzakorat, นายพิชิต คำบุรี, วีณา รักชุมชน, Construc.kjn, Tkom22567, Wangwenhui, Agnes chong, Ongarts, Wayoo, Narongchaiv, Panupong Chonswat, Chit130512, Davidryo, Fonsumalee, Jaynie Sasikul, Toei ac, Wasanamak, Wattana, Jakrapan, Kasiditparty, Manoonp, Masterpoy, Pnopparat01, IPhi044, Jayavarman, Kokunut555, Kongnawa, PanoramaMAN, Plengsak, Yuttharut, Леонид Каратасков, Anusorn sanaphanthu, GoldenBoy84, LightEyes48, Miviajepersonal, Natthanich nile, Newzaarocketeer, Nipon kumphan, Nipskung, Prasong suriyakanont, Tunyakamon, Wachira tasee, Wantana, Yodpakdee, Ammaratet, Gwynsff, Maxgadeth, Pee2009, Saratsocialist, Somsak Mungthanya, Udomsinhanmathe, Amata Niyomsataya, Chalermrat J, Grossbildjaeger, Monoblast, Mr.Winniwat Traitongsat, Nimnuan, Noomink, Piyapong, Pongsak, Tada Ratchagit, Trai pooapirom, ยุทธพล ดุลยไพรี, เกริกชัย อินทร์ปอ, Ggsaru, Gipgallery, Jirapong Phassawee, Kanyanat Phattanaudomsinkha, Kevinsmithnyc, Kritmongkholrat Arunsuriya, Nattanan726, Nongluk Chalernpronwattanakun, Pompuai, Suttipong Kehawan, Barfield100, Defehowk, Dhammakhos, Ferns banna, KAMUI29, Kittichai, Kumpon Rochanavibhata, LifeisaNimaGination, Mixrinho, Muisamart, Night29002, Nutthagode, Oilinki, Pik turbo, Pimwadee Eomthurapote, Piyamis, Pongsathat, Potae major, Siripem, Thanongsuk harakunno, Trakan, Tsutomu Rikimi, Veerasak t1, WORAVUDH, Warin, จามิกร ศรีคำ, อนุสาตร, แพรวา แจ่มแจ้ง, 88bomb88, AUAU1979, Abibam, Aof0072, Awittaya, Bigger skyline, Chalita165, Chowwart, Chusak50, Cityartpat, Coffeebar, Faforfun, Hadear, Janta, Joephotostudio, K.N. Moon, Kenta akutsu, Longlivethekingofthailand, Lorprajaksiri, Mathuwan, Mayo.phos, Mufaddal.hussain, Mutantcolors, N.sriwanit, Nadnarin Maneedang, Nattawit08, Net ohhayo, Nicham, Nick wichai, NipoonTJ, Nissareenmanya, North1432, Noterpool Ritthibetis, Phanom08, Pianthiya, Pongsri Pirmpanbun, Pracha, Saimadma, SauLeM, SausageStudio, Siriphan.jaa, Songphon, Sscien, Sujitraporn Pochai, Supinda, Suwisa somsee, Takdanai, Teephong, Thanes Piamnamai, Thigan, Tualex, Twatchait, UHTtoyou, Utitpasukpag, บุญรักษา เทวดาคุ้มครอง, เอ็ดมัน, ไอลดา กลิ่นคำหอม
- Results (raw results)
- default project: commonswiki
<quote> pages created (all namespaces) user_id user_name project submetric 2013-01-01 00:00:00 2013-02-01 00:00:00 2013-03-01 00:00:00 2013-04-01 00:00:00 2013-05-01 00:00:00 2013-06-01 00:00:00 2013-07-01 00:00:00 2013-08-01 00:00:00 2013-09-01 00:00:00 2013-10-01 00:00:00 2013-11-01 00:00:00 2013-12-01 00:00:00 2014-01-01 00:00:00 2014-02-01 00:00:00 2014-03-01 00:00:00 2014-04-01 00:00:00 2014-05-01 00:00:00 2014-06-01 00:00:00 2014-07-01 00:00:00 2014-08-01 00:00:00 2014-09-01 00:00:00 2014-10-01 00:00:00 2014-11-01 00:00:00 2014-12-01 00:00:00 2015-01-01 00:00:00 2015-02-01 00:00:00 Sum pages_created 403 306 157 223 270 172 98 271 2532 396 266 1085 877 219 160 247 403 708 205 355 1219 363 316 640 68 24 </quote>
- default project: thwiki => 64 invalid users
<quote> Edits (all namespaces) user_id user_name project submetric 2013-01-11 00:00:00 2013-02-01 00:00:00 2013-03-01 00:00:00 2013-04-01 00:00:00 2013-05-01 00:00:00 2013-06-01 00:00:00 2013-07-01 00:00:00 2013-08-01 00:00:00 2013-09-01 00:00:00 2013-10-01 00:00:00 2013-11-01 00:00:00 2013-12-01 00:00:00 2014-01-01 00:00:00 2014-02-01 00:00:00 2014-03-01 00:00:00 2014-04-01 00:00:00 2014-05-01 00:00:00 2014-06-01 00:00:00 2014-07-01 00:00:00 2014-08-01 00:00:00 2014-09-01 00:00:00 2014-10-01 00:00:00 2014-11-01 00:00:00 2014-12-01 00:00:00 2015-01-01 00:00:00 2015-02-01 00:00:00 Sum edits 166 269 522 706 2063 742 618 755 789 264 335 732 431 420 309 139 144 185 97 36 21 145 99 139 325 141 </quote>
- Lists of cohort members for WLMTH2014 (121 members)
กสิณธร ราชโอรส, Teerayut, CKasa, KengCH, Yakuzakorat, Jidapa Tansutat, Warawut Srisopark, K.Phothiwijit, Ktatpong, Jane3030, Suwannee.payne, Roopyai Art, Grassroot, Ritthichai Siangdee, Thien Jira, Uthen Smantai, Anutara, Boshit, Manoonp, Pholtograph, SethwatTi, Aonbigbazooka, Nickdhapana, Punsak p, Sutprattana, Tosaporn Sitsuksai, Trahcus, At938064, Gabrielthai, IPhi044, Nayika555, Senda89, Teerayutt, Akarapon123456, Namphung123456789or, Patibutkan, Sukalaya, Vichitsilp, WORAVUDH, Ice444555, Seamus Onthebeach, VenusKypris, Wildwind8854, Jarunee.K, Krit3655, Pattana1952, Pongwit, Supotmails, ศิตวิทย์ บวรสิน, Angvong, Konlawat, L3oomlnw, Meepoohfoto, Naparat45109, PlaySquare, Pooklookclub, Praiya Songpukdee, Samapon, Som potter, Uboatclub, Wittayasan Chakansin, ตง, Ariya 95, Catitunk, Domdo96, Jackrit, Komson Putngamkum, Narongchaiv, Nickkzz theerapat, Permpon, Pootawanfoto, Ronny Gonsales, Srisak pikunkaew, Tipawan, Toey55531, Toticebiods, Violettabel, Worapot, Anurak buaplang, Arthit2515, Baibeerzaza, Bankkkkk, Benzpoosomya, Boombie38, Chabaprai jainoi, Faforfun, Immwwi, James29542, Jikgoe, Juniorner, Kasama seng, KenThanakrit, Kittichai janjed, Kittyinthai, Kritiya yommana, Maneewanm, Meehurt, Mirage Strike, Mju304, Mosahii, Muauan, Nicskydrum, Padagot, Peeratchai, Petromar, Ploy wantakan, Prasong suriyakanont, Preecha328, Pukky Pk K., Saengrawee saojai, Somjetn, Surabutr, Sutida dasri, Thaithae, Thanat, Tungmayyyyyyyyyyy, Veerin boonkam, Wannueng, Wattanasak, เฉลิม อัชชมานะ, ไร้รัก
- Results (raw results)
- default project: commonswiki
<quote> pages created (all namespaces) user_id user_name project submetric 2013-01-01 00:00:00 2013-02-01 00:00:00 2013-03-01 00:00:00 2013-04-01 00:00:00 2013-05-01 00:00:00 2013-06-01 00:00:00 2013-07-01 00:00:00 2013-08-01 00:00:00 2013-09-01 00:00:00 2013-10-01 00:00:00 2013-11-01 00:00:00 2013-12-01 00:00:00 2014-01-01 00:00:00 2014-02-01 00:00:00 2014-03-01 00:00:00 2014-04-01 00:00:00 2014-05-01 00:00:00 2014-06-01 00:00:00 2014-07-01 00:00:00 2014-08-01 00:00:00 2014-09-01 00:00:00 2014-10-01 00:00:00 2014-11-01 00:00:00 2014-12-01 00:00:00 2015-01-01 00:00:00 2015-02-01 00:00:00 Sum pages_created 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 81 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4544 97 1 0 0 0 </quote>
- default project: thwiki => 12 invalid users
<quote> Edits (all namespaces) user_id user_name project submetric 2013-01-01 00:00:00 2013-02-01 00:00:00 2013-03-01 00:00:00 2013-04-01 00:00:00 2013-05-01 00:00:00 2013-06-01 00:00:00 2013-07-01 00:00:00 2013-08-01 00:00:00 2013-09-01 00:00:00 2013-10-01 00:00:00 2013-11-01 00:00:00 2013-12-01 00:00:00 2014-01-01 00:00:00 2014-02-01 00:00:00 2014-03-01 00:00:00 2014-04-01 00:00:00 2014-05-01 00:00:00 2014-06-01 00:00:00 2014-07-01 00:00:00 2014-08-01 00:00:00 2014-09-01 00:00:00 2014-10-01 00:00:00 2014-11-01 00:00:00 2014-12-01 00:00:00 2015-01-01 00:00:00 2015-02-01 00:00:00 Sum edits 15 0 1 9 4 0 6 2 2 0 0 49 89 0 1 2 14 1 6 25 86 12 29 13 8 1 </quote>
- Number of uploaders of WLMTH2014 has reduced from previous year due to lack of non-Thai paticipants. For 2014, we intentionally put our focus on Thai participants so that we may get new contributors to Thai Wipedia and sister projects. The competition page of 2014 is only in Thai while 2013 the competition page was written in English first and translated to Thai later. A brief look on participants and lists of winners confirm this finding.
- Number of edits on THWIKI before and after WLMTH2013/WLMTH2014 are insignificant. Some WLMTH2013 participants had contributed to THWIKI before the contest and continue to do so. For WLMTH2014, most of then do not edit THWIKI both before and after the contest.
- Hi Taweethaも, please fill out the report template below, or let us know where you have posted your report on the work you did using reallocated funds. Thank you, --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 02:08, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
- Did you complete the activities described in your approved request for reallocation?
- The Thai Wikipedia reached 100K articles at 16:39 (UTC+7) January 30, 2016. We have requested an update to the Wikipedia landing page .
- The last batch of souvenirs will be sent off to Wikipedians on February 15th. The postage bill was paid by Grants:PEG/UG TH/Wiki Loves X in Thailand 2015.
- Did you use any of these reallocated funds?
Details in Thai are available at w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:โครงการวิกิแสนบทความกับวิกิพีเดียภาษาไทย. For reporting purpose, please see the summary below:
- We have generated special monthly contribution statistics on Thai Wikipedia.
- List of new users (account<=90d) by non-minor edits (>500 bytes) on main namespace in the month
- List of users sorted by number of articles created in the month
- We have produced Wikipedia T-shirts and sent them to the three Winners (most edits, most articles and one random prize for article creation). Some t-shirts and souvenirs were shared with WLM/WLE/WLX participants from these grant proposals Grants:PEG/UG TH/WLM 2014 and Grants:PEG/UG TH/WLM 2014.
Outcomes and impact
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/UG TH/WLM 2014 to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Please describe how you achieved the goals outlined in your request for reallocation. Include your performance against any measures of success listed in your request for reallocation here.
- The target is 100,000 articles on the Thai Wikipedia.
- Briefly describe how your activities contributed to WMF's mission and strategic goals (increase participation, improve quality, increase reach).
- Increase participation: more people writing more articles on the Thai Wikipedia.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the use of reallocated funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with reallocated grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- YES Sun, 31 Jan 2016 00:26:10 -0800 (PST)
- Please list all expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the guidelines here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
Please accept a simple list of only two categories. Details and receipts were sent by email to WMF.
- Postage/packaging Requested budget was THB2,400.
- Actual postage/envelope/bus/fee for the year 2015 was THB1,025.
- Prizes Requested budget was THB3,200 for trophies and THB3,000 for Wikimedia merchandise.
- We realised that it is cheaper to produced t-shirt locally rather than requesting them from WMF and pay custom duty. We ordered in 121 t-shirts for THB13,404. (We need a minimum order of 100 to get a wholesale price. The rest of the t-shirts are used for WLM2015 and the amount exceeding this grant is carried over to Grants:PEG/UG TH/Wiki Loves X in Thailand 2015. As of 1st Feb 2016, we have 28 shirts left - S6, M2, L16, XL4).
- Total budget (from your approved reallocation request)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved reallocation request, this total will be the same as the total budget if the WMF reallocation is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on these activities so far (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on these activities so far (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the WMF reallocation is your only funding source)
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of these activities? List them here.
- THB14,429.00-THB8,705.15 = THB5,723.85 from Grants:PEG/UG TH/Wiki Loves X in Thailand 2015
- Are there any reallocated funds still remaining?
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your approved activities.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
We report the differences from October 2014 to the 30th of January 2016 on local mediawiki stat page. For more information, please refer to w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:โครงการวิกิแสนบทความกับวิกิพีเดียภาษาไทย.
- # of editors involved: = 254,496-213,113 = 41,383 new registered accounts on Thai Wikipedia during the period.
- # of active editors involved: = 945-947 = -2 Yes, the number of active editors decreased slightly.
- There were, however, many volunteers involved in the programmes. About 5 were part of the organiser and about 5-20 actively participated in the contests every month. We gave awards continuously for 3+12+2=17 months
- # of articles created: = 100,000-89,911 = 10,089 new articles on Thai Wikipedia during the period
Reallocation report approved
Hi Taweethaも. Congrats to the Thai community for reaching 100K articles! It's a big milestone and it's great that you were able to engage editors through this project. Thank you for the detailed reallocation report. It is approved. Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 16:28, 15 February 2016 (UTC)