Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Black Lunch Table/Report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Comments by I JethroBT (WMF)
Hi Heather, and apologies for the delay in reviewing your report. Our staff was somewhat limited during May and caused some backlogs in reviewing reports generally. Here are my comments on the report:
- Thanks for providing additional metrics beyond the number of articles created. Is there a list of articles available that were worked on, either on-wiki or through the Programs & Events Dashboard? If so, can you link this in your report under the Outcomes section?
- I think it's amazing you can provide 1:1 time with your participants, this can be tough to do while also running the event! I know that can go a long way in terms of first impressions for new editors, and that bears out as you've found new editors have expressed interest in continuing to edit after your events. Also, speaking as someone who coordinates events here in Chicago as a volunteer, I've encountered a lot of difficulties with new editors starting new articles if it's their first time contributing. Directing them to identify ways they can enhance existing articles allows them to be more productive and get more satisfaction out of their time at the event. And ultimately, I think helping new editors reach their goals can be just as valuable as getting new articles created, so thanks for your attention in producing those outcomes.
- I'm glad you were able to partner with Art+Feminism for some of your work. I am sure they have encountered some of the same challenges you faced in this project, so feel free to reach out to them for guidance on outreach to institutions, budgeting, and timing for future events (and you may have done so already!)
- Of the participants in your events who did not become new editors, did you get a sense of what motivated them to come to the event, or what they got out of it? Were they interested in learning how Wikipedia works, how editing works generally, maybe something else?
- @Heathart: Ah, one other thing about the remaining $1,234.73. As this is a large amount of funds, in order to approve a reallocation of these funds, we will need to see a new Rapid Grant request detailing how these funds will be used. In general, the activities you've listed under the Finances section appear to be within our guidelines. One thing we'll need to know more about for the laptop is a plan for how the equipment will be shared (i.e. who will be hosting the equipment, how will it be lent out / borrowed and tracked). Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 7 June 2017 (UTC)
- @JethroBT: Thanks! I am working on that this week with my collaborator and hope to have it up and ready for you early next week. Best,Heathart (talk) 04:32, 23 June 2017 (UTC)