Grants talk:Project/Rapid/FLOSSK/WLM Kosovo 2016/Report
Comments from I JethroBT (WMF)
- Congratulations on a very productive event. Although your participation was not as high as you expected, the participants you did have were clearly enthusiastic and focused in their work. Not only were there many photos uploaded, but you were able to meet your goal in illustrating articles with those photos even with fewer participants. In terms of trying to bring in more participants, it looks like you've done a great deal of promotional outreach through local media. Outside of media, perhaps you could encourage participants to invite 1-2 friends to come with them to the event?
- You noted in the Learning section that one improvement that could be made for future WLM events is by having better organized photos tours. Could you elaborate on what improvements could be made? Were there aspects of the photo tours during this event did you feel were not organized?
- The website is a great hub to inform people about your events, and to document outcomes from past WLM activities. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.
- Printing out the best photos and providing smaller printed versions to the winners as prizes are both really great ways to both to showcase the work and recognize quality work. I hope you can continue to do this for future WLM events!
This report is formally accepted. As for returning the funds, I've noted your concern around bank transfer fees. I think at least some of these fees can be avoided by returning funds to a WMF account in the UK. Will that option work? If not, we'll need you to provide the following info about the next event by 6 June, which can be posted here:
- A budget outlining how the remaining funds will be used, including the total amount of remaining funds you will use for your activities.
- A brief description of the mission-aligned activities you will do with the funds and an explanation about how these activities are related to the Wikimedia mission.
- A start date and a completion date for your activities. The start date and completion date should each include a day month, and year
Please note that this acceptance will not allow you to apply for a new grant until we have received all remaining funds or approve a reallocation. Thanks, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 20:37, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hi I JethroBT (WMF), thank you for your extensive comments and happy that you like the project. I will try to respond.
- With regard to the photo tours, lead time perhaps needs to be extended and recruitment should be done by talking individually to organizers, in this regard inviting people to bring friends is a good idea. We did send mass emails but this was clearly not enough. Weather was also rainy at the time which could have been a reason. Nevertheless, our potential in this activity is not exhausted.
- With regard to fund returns, minimal fee for EUR transfers to any country if only us pays is 20 EUR. If both sides pay, it's 10 EUR. There is no difference US vs UK (see section 126.96.36.199 in pg 5 here). Provided you agree, I propose we use the remaining funds of 28.68 EUR towards a Wikivoyage editathon to be organized at our Prishtina Hackerspace. The money will be used to buy refreshments for about 10 contributors. This will be done in one of the upcoming weekends, by 13 June at the latest. Best regards! --Arianit (talk) 17:03, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hi I JethroBT (WMF), I know you are backlogged but the intended activity for the remainder of funds is potentially next weekend. Would appreciate if you could make a determination in the next few days. Thanks! --Arianit (talk) 19:01, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
- @Arianit: Hi Arianit, thanks for your patience. This reallocation has been approved for the Wikivoyage edit-a-thon. Please report back on this talk page regarding the outcomes of the event and how the remaining budget was spent. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:50, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
- @I JethroBT (WMF):, will do, thanks! --Arianit (talk) 19:29, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Report for funds remainder
Hi I JethroBT (WMF), reporting on the outcome of the approved follow-up event.
Wikivoyage editathon was held on 4 June while some participants continued to work and posted their results a few days later. 14 people in all attended, among them news editors and tourism professionals. Editing and content addition went to Kosovo, Pristina, Peja, Gjakova, Prizren and Mitrovica. Overall 63130 absolute bytes were added, with 33311 of them being addition. As you can see there was heavy editing.
A blog post and some photos can be seen here. Into the future, we are going to do another smaller editathon in Prizren about Prizren, this being a major touristic city and region in Kosovo and planning for two activity pages about hiking and skiing in Kosovo. Translation requests for other languages will follow that. Budget was spent on sandwiches. Thank you for your support.
Budgeted and realized budget
|Item||Budgeted (EUR)||Spent (EUR)|
|Vendor||Fiscal # of Vendor||Invoice #||Goods/Services||Month||Value||Type of receipt||Note|
|PanPan shpk||601674303||3/23753||Sandwiches||June||€33.50||Fiscal coupon||editathon|