Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Hadassahlove/WikiForHumanRights on LGBT in Nigeria
Comments from I JethroBT (WMF)
Hello Hadassahlove, and thanks for your proposal supporting #WikiForHumanRights in Nigeria, focused on LGBT communities. Here are my comments and questions about your proposal:
- Can you describe in more detail what role you will take in the project as the event organizer?
- Thank you for working to get support for these activities with the Bisi Alimi Foundation. Are you affiliated with this organization, and are they providing any other support in addition to the communications work you described in the proposal?
- Is the modem in the budget being purchased? At this time, we're not able to support equipment purchases through Rapid Grants due to limitations on funding for the program, and can only support equipment rentals.
Thank you I JethroBT (WMF) for taking time out to review this and the questions that follows... Below are my responses:
- My role basically is to serve as project manager of the project. I will be serving as an intermediate between wikipedia and LGBT in Nigeria; my experience in the last few years has allowed me to work with various LGBT organizations in Nigeria thereby creating a relationship and networks with the LGBT community so will be using my wealth of experience to bring Wikipedia on board to LGBT persons so they can further bridge the knowledge gap around LGBT topics on Wikipedia. So my role is more or less connecting Wikipedia to LGBT community in Nigeria; if you are not part of the queer community in Nigeria, there is no way this can be possible so I serve as that bridge.
- I am a fellow of the Bisi Alimi Foundation and have also volunteered in various LGBT projects in Nigeria with them only. Bisi Alimi Foundation as a partner will be responsible for providing the space to use and providing LGBT participants from the pool of their network while also serving as a link to other concerned LGBT organization.. The major role they play remains providing safe and good condition space.
- As for the modern, the price here is for purchase and this was intentionally put so it can serve a good purpose(re-use) for future program around this theme and since the cost of rent is almost similar to the cost of purchase mentioned here as the modern is an advance once that can power many systems all together without break.But if you insists, I can change it to reflect the cost of purchase instead.
- @Hadassahlove: Thanks for your responses here. I am willing to grant an exception on the the equipment-- I understand that renting such equipment at times is not possible or only marginally less expensive. The main reason we do not support equipment purchases as a general rule is to avoid cases where individuals purchase equipment for a project, only for the equipment to not get reused for movement purposes, which we have no practical way of meaningfully enforcing or monitoring. For this reason, would it be possible to donate the equipment either to your organization (Bisi Alimi Foundation) or to a Wikimedia affiliate in Nigeria so that it is available to volunteers for future use for Wikimedia movement events? Kaizenify and other volunteers you are working with will be able to provide some recommendations. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 21:11, 19 April 2021 (UTC)