Comments from I JethroBT (WMF)
@Jamie Tubers: Hey Sam, thanks for submitting your report on this Meetup and Workshop on Wikipedia and Wikidata. Here are my comments and questions:
- Thanks for linking the event page that describes the outcomes from the event. I really appreciate the photos taken capturing some of the work and interactions at the event.
- The continued contributions of editors beyond the meetup and workshop is very inspiring to see, so thank you for tracking it and reporting it here.
- Concerning attendance, it can sometimes be difficult to estimate attendance and related expenses for food, but it's good you were aware that not all the sign-ups would show. Sometimes for events, I allow people to put down a "maybe" or a definitely/likely/unlikely/cannot participate distinction to get a better sense of availability, and that has helped me with my past event planning and estimates.
- I noted that two articles from the event were deleted (see Sofya Polyakov, and Adesoji Akanbi) due to notability concerns and copyright infringement respectively. In my capacity as a volunteer, I have run some edit-a-thons where participants create articles that end up deleted, so I understand that this can happen sometimes. While these kinds of deletions can sometimes be unfairly done, other times they are justified. In this case, were these deletions appropriate? If so, what do you think you will do to help participants create appropriate articles or avoid this sort of outcome in the future?
- I have approved your expense documentation you've sent us, thanks for preparing and summarizing your expenses in a clear manner. I've approved the remaining ₦24,710 to be reallocated to the Grants:Project/Rapid/Jamie Tubers/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub Bi-Monthly Workshops, if this proposal is accepted. If there's another project you would these funds to put toward, let me know.
I've approved this final report, but when you're able, please respond to the above questions. Thanks so much for your work Sam, and good luck on your future workshops. :) Take care, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
- Hello @I JethroBT (WMF):
- Thanks alot for reviewing and accepting this report. I've tried to answer some of your questions/comments below:
- Thanks for your insights with the attendance estimation. In future events, I'll definitely make the registration process a bit more flexible, so we can know those whose attendance are not absolutely certain.
- Yea, the deletion of the two articles were somewhat appropriate. Sofya Polyakov is on the borderline, regarding notability. Adesoji Akanbi's article indeed had a major copyright violation. I have since reached out to the editor Haylad to solve the concerns and recreate the article, but it seems he's lost interest. However, he's gone on to create 4 more articles after this incidence, which is very impressive.
- Thank you about the reallocation of funds. However, it would've been better if the remaining funds is added to the budget of the Wikipedia Instagram Campaign; based on the expenses so far, we might be running over-budget pretty soon :(.
- I hope I have been able to answer your questions. Thank you once again for your time.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 01:55, 17 June 2018 (UTC)