Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Maffeth Opiana/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines
Hello Maffeth Opiana thank you for submitting Wiki Loves Earth 2018 proposal. I have a few questions before proceeding with this grant request:
- I see in your impact section that you plan to use 20% of your uploaded photos in articles. That's a high percentage of photos to be utilized in articles. Can you tell us how you hope to accomplish this? Do you plan to organize editathons around using the photos?
- For your outreach activities can you explain further who the travel and accommodation expenses are for? Can you give a better break down of how you estimated the $866 USD?
- For the award ceremony who are you providing travel and accommodation for?
- Lastly, under contingency costs you have listed meetings and logistics. If you have estimates for this can you separate them out and list them elsewhere in the budget? I think you can estimate for these items but maybe I'm not understanding why you're putting them under contingency costs.
- 1) Looking at the current number of uploaded photographs, there are over 500 entries already although around 200 of which are of the same subjects taken by one participant. Accounting the said figure, 20% utilization of photos would indeed be too high to achieve. We intend post in village pumps in local Wikipedias and in different Philippine-related project talk pages the link to these photographs so users could start utilizing them. Using varying photographs of similar subjects taken by different participants to showcase everyone's works can increase the percentage of utilization of these photos.
- During our first outreach activity at Catanduanes island-province, two future collaborations were discussed among the audience. The provincial government, student publication of Catanduanes State University and a local writer's organization proposed to hold a workshop to be attended by the same participants at the same workshop which gave us an opportunity to talk about Wikipedia and Wiki Loves Earth. Another opportunity to have a workshop came up when a participant who happens to be connected at Holy Rosary Minor Seminary in Naga City showed interest in the project.
- 2) We intend to have at least 3 community outreach activities during the contest period to engage past and new volunteers. We are done with our first activity at Catanduanes and the team has scheduled the other activities: Sorsogon province (May 24-25), Cavite province (June 1-2), Marikina City (June 8-9) and Camarines Norte (dates to be determined).
- Travel and accommodation for the team is needed as the team is based in Naga City. Prior to visiting the locations, there have been and logistical planning done to ensure the success of the activities.
- Locations and budget: 1) Catanduanes (PHP10,000/USD192.57): the 3-man team travelled 8 hours from Naga City using public transportation by land and sea. We needed to stay for 2 nights to maximize the schedule of activities which included a courtesy call at the office of the provincial governor, gave a lecture at a seminar-workshop on poetry writing which we also participated in, and did photography walks; 2) Sorsogon (PHP7,600/USD144.43): the team will be joining the annual Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement organization planning to be held in the same province (approximately 6 hours travel by land). NCHM was a partner at Wiki Takes Rinconada few years ago and we want to continue our partnership with them thru a collaboration with another project particularly Wiki Loves Monuments. We will promote Wiki Loves Earth among its members through photography walks; Please note that the team members attending this activity are also members of NCHM and there are members of the said heritage organization who are also Wikimedians; 3) Cavite (PHP7,500/USD144.43): 8 hours away from our base, there will be a talk on Wikimedia Movement in general, promotion of Wiki Loves Earth, editing tutorial and proposal presentation on Wiki Loves Arts. We intend to conduct the project in February 2019 in collaboration with Artletics Inc. which they will be hosting. The 2-day activity which will be participated by artists from Camarines Sur, Cavite, Isabela and Laguna provinces includes talks on event planning, event organizing and grant writing proposal. A big event is being planned by the the group for next year in the said four locations; 4) Marikina City (PHP10,000/USD192.57): 9 hours away from Naga City, we will conduct photography walks with local photographers to cover Marikina river and watershed. This is also an opportunity to reconnect with past Wikimedians in Metro Manila through a Meetup for further promotion of the contest; 5) Camarines Norte and Quezon provinces (PHP10,000/USD192.57): a team member is a part of a motorbike club which has a chapter there. Currently, there are discussions on a possibility of conducting photography hunt covering the provinces known for the Bicol National Park and protected areas. The club is one of the biggest in the region in terms of membership and members who are also into photography are invited to participate. Budget for gasoline and meals could be provided for this activity.
- 3) Venue of the awarding ceremony will be decided once the awardees are determined. It will be done where majority of the awardees are based from or where it is practical to hold the event. The team or the awardees will have to travel to the venue's location and will be given travel and accommodation allowance. If necessary, the prizes will be sent via courier to the winners who cannot attend. Additional prizes can be given to the top 4-10 (worth PHP7,000.00 (USD134.80) to recognize their contributions.
- 4) Logistics and Meetings, and Unexpected Expenses can be split into two: PHP8,400.00 (USD16176) each.
- Thanks a lot Woubzena Jifar. All the best!
Changes in the Approved Grant Proposal via Email sent last June 23, 2018
We would like to make some changes in the approved grant proposal:
1. Completion date of the project should be August 5th instead of June 30th, which is the final day of accepting entries in the local contest. There are still activities to be accomplished beyond June 30th, such as an outreach activity on July 1st, planning and preparations for the awarding and the awarding event, among others. 2. Increase budget for the trophy to 6,000 from 3,000 which is insufficient for 3 customized trophies. 3. An additional cash prize of 3,000 for People's Choice Award via Facebook official page to increase reach in audience and to give another chance of entries which did not qualify for the International contest due to lack of coordinates and/or not meeting the required minimum size.
Best regards, Maffeth