Grants talk:Simple/Applications/Amical Wikimedia/2021
APG approved in the amount of 67,800 EUR
Congratulations! Your grant is approved in the amount of 67,800 EUR, with a grant term starting 1 January 2021 and ending 31 December 2021.
Amical Wikimedia’s achievements in the past year included efforts in community engagement, supporting educational initiatives, GLAM efforts, and general outreach. For example, the chapter established important connections with educational institutions at the university and secondary school level to introduce Wikimedia projects. They also collaborated with libraries, archives, and universities to reduce the gender gap in coverage of encyclopedic content by improving content related to women. Finally, the chapter also continued to communicate broadly about its programming and work, thorough preparation of blog posts, the establishment of a new newsletter, and leveraging its social media presence effectively. While progress toward goals was unavoidably limited by the pandemic, the chapter has made good efforts to make its programming more remote accessible.
The organization has undergone significant leadership changes in 2020. and is currently supported by a transition board that has endeavored for the past several months to facilitate discussions with the membership on the organization’s priorities and programs in the next year. Wikimedia Amical has also reached out to AffCom and the Community Resources team for support around its governance practices around revising its bylaws, the prospect of preparing a Code of Conduct and resolving the conflict between members. These factors have contributed to instability in the organization, which can present some risks in planning and implementing effective programs.
In the coming year, Amical Wikimedia plans to tentatively maintain its program structure, but will also be voting on an entirely new board. We are prepared to work with the new board and are willing to support some changes to the proposed program structure should the organization wish to shift its programmatic focuses and strategy. However, it will be critical for Amical Wikimedia to establish stability in its leadership and operations in 2021 after multiple, subsequent periods of transition, which also affected the chapter in the previous year.
Based on these factors, we will be awarding the requested funding with the following arrangements and expectations:
- Half of the requested funding will be provided at the start of the grant period,
- The remaining funding will be provided after the completion of a midpoint report and where the following additional conditions have been met:
- commitment from the new board to work with AffCom to support revisions to chapter bylaws and to develop an organizational code of conduct in 2021,
- a schedule and milestones are prepared around addressing these governance needs, and
- confirmation that appropriate milestones towards these governance needs have been met at the midpoint.
We appreciate the work of the transition board this past year to encourage consensus-building and shared understanding of the membership’s interests and goals, and look forward to meeting and working with the next board of Amical Wikimedia in 2021.
- Thank you, @Islahaddow for the amount of work and attention you've put into reviewing our Grant proposal. From your message we can see that you are aware of the situation we are undergoing in Amical and I can only appreciate your positive words. Unfortunately, it has been a period in which we had to face some internal disruptions whose effects are not over yet. At the Transition Board we have communicated your message and request to the entire organization through the mailing list. We are currently in a period of elections and the candidates are aware of it. In the transition board we consider essential to tackle these gaps in our governance (e.g. Code of Conduct/Change in the bylaws to enable it) to ensure that some past episodes/disruptions are not repeated and that everyone feels safer in the organization. At the same time, we admit that we are limited and that this decision does not lie entirely on us. If you have any question or further comment, please, do not hesitate to post it. Best. --Marcmiquel (talk) 10:18, 22 December 2020 (UTC)
Request for an extension
Hello, Sorry about the fact that we had asked for the extension at the discussion page of the grant. Thanks in advance. Best regards. I copy the original text here: We unfortunately request another extension up to September 15th. Many thanks in advance. Claudi Balaguer/Amical Wikimedia's treasurer. Capsot (talk) 21:48, 12 September 2021 (UTC)
Hello Capsot, Thank you for your request for an extension on your grant report. Please find this request approved. We look forward to reviewing the report on 15th September. --VThamaini (WMF) (talk) 18:23, 13 September 2021 (UTC)