Grants talk:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia Eesti/2017
Hello, Wikimedia Eesti colleagues:
Thank you for submitting your eligibility form on 24 October 2017. We've determined that you are eligible to apply for a Simple Annual Plan Grant based on your eligibility evaluation for your most recent grant application that reviews your past work, as well as the midpoint report for your current grant.
Some of this year's achievements at the midpoint include,
- Wikimedia Eesti has made significant progress in the area of restructuring, and has included a detailed report in this area at the midpoint (see achievements below).
- Wikimedia Eesti is on track to exceed its targets in the area of Competitions and Expeditions, including 477 articles created or improved.
- Launch of the e-course on schedule, with most of the objectives for the education program still on track to be met in the second half of the year.
WMEE has recently submitted all requested grant reports to WMF, and is now in compliance with their agreements with WMF; therefore they are eligible to submit a grant application for 2017.
This failure to comply with reporting requirements for previous grants has been a barrier to receiving funds for their activities and for paying staff in the current year, and has prevented WMEE from receiving funds for new projects like Freedom of Panorama in a timely way. While this has been a significant setback during the current grant period, WMEE has made good progress in their efforts to redefine board roles and responsibilities across four key areas, implementing good financial systems, and focusing on improving the ways the board and staff can work together for the benefit of the organization. Despite this good measures, given WMEE’s failure to pay their employees for several months due to cashflow issues, we have serious concerns about this organization’s ability to continue to effectively manage staff. At the same time, reducing funding for staff may prevent the organization from making progress in its current restructuring efforts (e.g. the ongoing transition from a working board to a governance board would be interrupted). With its current application, WMEE is also preparing for the departure of its current Executive Director. This is likely to create a period of more instability while the new Executive Director is being hired and brought on board.
WMEE is proposing to replace its departing Executive Director in order to maintain its staff in 2017, and to continue to focus on restructuring during the upcoming year. They are planning to keep their budget at a similar level to last year's grant. WMEE has a large staff relative to the size of its volunteer community. They will continue to emphasize volunteer recruitment and their ability to contribute to the international movement in the upcoming year in order to bring impact that is at scale with the funding requested. To this end they have restructured their program plan for the upcoming year, to emphasize these areas.
We look forward to reviewing WMEE's application for 2017!
Questions from the Simple APG committee
Thanks for your application. It is nice to see your plans evolving and getting more balanced and also to fosus on "the right" things. I wonder if you could elebarate a bit more on your personell situation. If I udnerstodd it corrects your ED is leaving, what is your plan to get a new on board. Also your have had som turmolis last two years in your operations, is these resolved now?Anders Wennersten (talk) 06:20, 4 November 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Anders,
- Unfortunately, we are indeed facing a change of ED, as Kaarel will be going on parental leave. We have a hiring plan in place; we will be engaging an outside HR consultant for the hiring process and if all goes well, we will have a candidate in place by the end of December, which would give Kaarel a few months for handing things over before his parental leave begins.
- The past few years have indeed been rocky. We should be out of the rough seas, though, which I think is reflected quite well by the healthy state of our agenda: while it's not the longest planning document we have produced, it is definitely the one with the clearest vision to date. Which makes it even sadder to see Kaarel leave, even if he keeps up some of his efforts in an unofficial position. -Daniel Charms (talk) 12:09, 4 November 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for your application. I have no questions. I only want to comment that Estonian has one of the highest participation rates in the world - 85 people per million speakers write on Estonian Wikipedia. This is impressive. You are doing well. --Nikola (talk) 15:47, 11 November 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you for your kind words. I can only wish that we could chalk this number up to our own activity -- I fear it has more to do with the small number of living Estonian speakers. At the same time, I do believe there is still room for improvement and the activities we have planned for the upcoming year should improve the number of active users on Wikipedia as well as other projects. -Daniel Charms (talk) 19:40, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Committee assessment and decision
The committee recommends the amount requested, or 62,251 Euro.
|Strengths identified by the committee:
|Concerns identified by the committee:
|Decision from WMF|
Thank you, WMEE, for your application and for your work during the application process.
WMF will fund this grant as recommended, in the amount of 62,251 Euro for twelve months; however, one minor budget adjustment will be needed. WMF cannot fund FKAGEU expenses through a restricted APG; therefore, you will need to draw on another funding source if you plan to make a contribution to FKAGEU in the coming year. We are supportive of your participation in FKAGEU in principle, so if you wish to draw money from another funding source to cover this expense and apply 1,000 EUR of your WMF grant money to another approved expense this arrangement would be acceptable. Without any additional funding sources, however, I am afraid a FKAGEU contribution cannot be arranged. We are available to discuss the reasons for this with you in more detail, but it is due to the restrictions on funding that we may spend for political and legislative activities, which you already have some experience with through your Freedom of Panorama work.
Apologies for posting this formal approval a bit late, since I was on holiday. I know Janice has been in touch with you in the mean time to arrange the details of your grant.