Grants talk:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia Indonesia/2017/March-June 2018
Questions from SAPG members
From Kai/ Siarus1074
Hey now WMIID,
First, I am very impressed with your GLAM and Wiki WikiLatih work.
A few questions (more logistical):
- I tried to look at their strategic plan and realized it was not in English. Is it possible to include one in English or point me in the direction of one I may have missed?
- The midreport looks great. You can see the wonderful progress they are making. Is the budget int he slides in USD? Or another currency?
- In the budget, for WikiLatih, I see they budget for consumption. What does that mean? Food?
- I have a fairly ignorant question. After looking at the budget, I see internet and phone are very high $200 and $900 for only 4 months. Is that a local thing? Is internet and phone high in India?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Siarus1074 (talk) 19:15, 5 March 2018 (UTC)
- We haven't translated yet into English, we're planning to translate it by the end of March, as this month we focus on the annual report and SAPG report too. Could you please wait until March? We want it ready before we applied for the APG grant.
- The budget is in IDR but you can see currency conversion to in USD.
- Yes, that's for food and drinks for the participants and also for the trainers.
- Could you point out which budget line? In our bugdet, we plan to spend USD 303,82 (line budget D3) as we'll accommodate the volunteers' trainers for communication expense (or around 3,7 per event per trainers). I've converted the budget into USD, so you can take a look. Fyi, we're in Indonesia. :)
--Beeyan (talk) 03:18, 6 March 2018 (UTC)
Hello Team, It is nice to see such enthusiasm from this group in terms of activities. I for one love the archiving effort under the GLAM programs. I have a few initial questions regarding the proposed activities.
- Considering the grant is for less than 6 months I see a huge number of activities undertaken by this groups. I wanted to know if you have made an work estimate. Can you tell us what is it according to your estimates.
- How much of this work is through paid staff and how much of this would be through volunteers
--Chinmayisk (talk) 13:03, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Dear @Chinmayisk:, yes, you can see in our staffing plan. We've had a lot of works during this 4 months period especially for making sure next program (July 2018-June 2019) will be planned well. For example, WikiLatih program, we already had the previous discussion with Wikimedia communities and also with several institutions, including Museum MACAN, Sweden Embassy, Naval Army, and several other organisations, to do a yearly program. We've also got some potential partnerts for GLAM projects that need to check and recheck wether the project is feasible or not, especially in copyright and usually it need more than 2 months discussion for new partners. We've also contacted Wikimedian community to plan the activities for the next program (for this 4 months, we've contacted them two months before). Altough, we had a lot of works, but we already plan and know it well before to do it.
- WikiLatih program administration, such as project report, funding report and program support will be done by our staff, but for the event mainly doing by our volunteers, as we'll estimate 25 events in 4 months period. GLAM project will be done by staff (as for initial program, before continue with the help from volunteers) and will continue previous projects (with the help from our volunteers) and also taking another opportunity with new partners, including with Bandung Geological Museum (picture donations and WikiLatih), Indonesian Naval Army (picture donations and WikiLatih), and other partners. We've had initial discussion but we need to make sure everything can goes smoothly, especially in terms of copyright.
--Beeyan (talk) 17:01, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
From Philip Kopetzky
Hi dear WMIID!
Thanks for your continued work in Indonesia, I really appreciate your commitment! Good luck with the APG process in June/July, don't hesiate to contact other APG chapters if you feel unsure about certain aspects of your application or have any questions regarding the process! :-)
I have a few question on this proposal:
- Wiki Loves Earth will probably take place in May and June 2018 again - is there a reason (or several of them) for you not wanting to continue participating in this project?
- Which estimates are the Wiki Latih metrics based on? Based on your previous experience, organising 25 events in four months seems like this type of event is becoming more and more popular?
- It's also not quite clear how staff and volunteers are working together on these two projects, but Chinmayisk already asked that question :-)
Philip Kopetzky (talk) 18:26, 22 February 2018 (UTC)
- Dear @Philip Kopetzky:, after a long discussion with our community and volunteer from previous WLE, we've decided to make Wiki Loves version of Indonesian culture for next APG program, as we lack of picture about our culture, we'll skip the WLE project as we have a lot of material similar with WLE pictures.
- It's actually from the community itself, in this two months, before we applied the proposal, we've contacted, Minangkabau, Cirebon, Javanese, Sundanese and Indonesian Wikimedian community about how many WikiLatih they want to do only for this 4 months. We also have secured several partners, including Museum MACAN and Swedish Embassy to do WikiLatih with partners or organisation.
- You can read our answer in Chinmayisk, if you have another question feel free to confirm to us again. Thanks --Beeyan (talk) 17:08, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for the clarifications! :-) Philip Kopetzky (talk) 09:12, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
- You're welcome, Philip!--Beeyan (talk) 06:06, 28 February 2018 (UTC)
From Ido / Alleycat80
Dear WMID, I just wanted to say I was impressed by the breadth of your work and your success. I have nothing to comment about your proposal, but only writing to wish you good luck with your FDC application. Alleycat80 (talk) 20:58, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
- Dear @Alleycat80:, thank you for your kind words. We hope that our projects will be more effective and beneficial for our community. --Beeyan (talk) 13:52, 25 February 2018 (UTC)
Simple Annual Plan Grant Committee Recommendation
We recommend that this application is fully funded in the amount of IDR 397,250,000 for 4 ½ months.
|Strengths identified by the committee:
The committee has agreed that this bridge grant is in line with WMID's previous grant and that it is a straightforward bridge grant before WMID enters the FDC -APG process. It has noted that WMID has taken sound decisions about pursuing some of its activities, such as Wiki Loves Earth in order to focus on activities that work and have more impact. The committee wishes WMID success with their FDC-APG application.
|Concerns identified by the committee:
The committee has noted that there are lots of activities listed for a short grant, and wants to warn WMID about workload for staff.
Kind regards, Alleycat80 (talk) 10:51, 26 March 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you, Ido! Yes, we're aware about a lots of activities, but the number came out, as we discussed with community too and we'll make sure it can be achieved. Thanks again. - Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 19:52, 2 April 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia Foundation decision
|Decision from WMF|
Thanks to the Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee for this review and to WMID for their application.
This grant is approved in the recommended amount of IDR 397,250,000 for 4 ½ months. As noted by the committee, this is a grant destined to bridge a gap in funding before WMID's application to the FDC-APG process and as such is quite straightforward in its ask and application. We are looking forward to working with WMID in the FDC-APG process. Thank you!Delphine (WMF) (talk) 14:21, 29 March 2018 (UTC)
- Merci beaucoup, Delphine. - Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 19:52, 2 April 2018 (UTC)