Growing Local Language Content on Wikipedia (Project Tiger 2.0)/Support/Vijay B. Barot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Wikipedia username
- Vijay B. Barot
- Email (optional)
Please tell us which existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions you are contributing to, and some of your best contribution towards the project and movement. Please add relevant Wiki/external link wherever applicable
- I am a Science graduate and did my post graduation in chemistry (Gujarati Medium) and right now working as a Food Scientist. I joined Wikipedia one year ago but became active in late November 2018. The chief reason behind being involved in Wikipedia was lack of content on Gujarati Wikipedia on Indian topics, especially History and Science. Knowledge sharing has been a chief motivation since then I have around 4200+ Global edits as on 25th August.
- Gujarati Wikisource: I am active in Gujarati wikisource from January 2019. I have 2400+ edits in a short period. and led 3 projects on Gujarati Wikisource. I have been participated in wikisource workshop held at Ahmedabad.
- Wikimedia Commons: I am an amateur photographer. I have uploaded/curated more than 190 images/files on Commons. 3 of my images have been selected as quality images. I have around 700+ edits on commons.
- Gujarati Wikipedia: I am active in Gujarati Wikipedia, mostly expanding the stub articles related to history and literature. Also involved in translating, correcting, cleaning up articles. I have 400+ edits there with average size of edit being 915.1 bytes. I have created more than 20 articles in Gujarati Wikipedia.
- English Wikipedia: I am contributing on English Wikipedia especially to philately related articles. Also add Images in English articles.
- Wikidata: I have more than 200+ edits on Wikidata. I am focused on Wikidata related to Gujarati Wikipedia. Indian topics have been my interest there.
- Recently I have been also involved in English Wikisource.
- Internet stipend
Why do you need this support (Internet and/or Chromebook)
- I live in a joint family and using my uncle’s desktop with limited access. Most of the time I have to wait to get my turn till late night. I wanted to buy new laptop but could not because we have purchased new home and facing financial constraints. As I will move to my new home, it will be very difficult even to use my uncle's desktop. If I receive support (Chromebook and Internet), It will help me to continue my editing. The laptop would make my editing activity easy and fast as I can contribute in office breaks and even travelling. So it will help me to contribute more in upcoming years. As I am not using smartphone personally, always dependant for hotspot of family members.
Do you have a working laptop?
- No, I am editing through my uncle’s desktop.
Had you received the support in the first iteration of Project Tiger?
How will you use this in the next six months? Here are guidelines of future activities.
- Apart from continued editing in Gujarati Wikipedia and Gujarati wikisource, I will be also focusing on other sister projects. Commons, Wikidata and English Wikipedia are the projects of my interest. So I will be seen editing there more often. I will be playing more role in Gujarati Wikisource which needs attention and editors. I am looking forward to bulk edits in Wikidata (which has also effects on several sister projects) and leveraging Gujarati Wikipedia with it. I will be expanding my areas of editing in Wikipedia such as Science, History, Arts, Culture, Political Science and Philately.
- Beside this I am a travel photographer and loves to capture architectural monuments, cultural diversity, fairs and festivals so can provide images for the articles. Especially the interior places of my state. In past I have provided the Images for articles on demand.
- As a Philatelist I can contribute on commons and Wikipedia regarding the field.
Community discussion and endorsements
Please keep the discussion friendly, and note number of endorsement may not be the only way to assess an application's merit
- Strong support : I strongly support this request. Vijay is doing great work on Gujarati Wikipedia. He writes articles on different educational topics on Gujarati Wikipedia. There are a lack of editors on Gujarati Wikipedia. SO, this laptop will certainly help him to contribute more actively. He is also highly active on Gujarati Wikisource. Let me tell you, that there are hardly 3 or 4 active editors on Gujarati Wikisource. So, this laptop will certainly make an impact on Gujarati Wikisource. --Gazal world (talk) 17:58, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: I support this request. Vijay is great contributor on Gujarati Wikisource and Wikipedia. This will be great help for him. --Harshil169 (talk) 04:10, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support : Vijay is one of the contributor who is consistence and doesn't fear asking for support when needed. He has improved a lot over year and I'm happy to support his application for laptop/internet here. --KartikMistry (talk) 04:13, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: Active and promising editor. -Nizil Shah (talk) 06:41, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: Vijay Barot is an asset to Gujarati Wikisource, in terms of not only his own work, but also as a help to other community members.--Amvaishnav (talk) 14:15, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: He is very active member of Wikisource, has managed books on Wikisource. He has been editing Gujarati Wikipedia also. He request may be accepted. --Sushant savla (talk) 15:18, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: active and punctual editor.VikramVajir (talk) 17:30, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support: Sincere and Active user, deserves the support.--DhavalTalk 10:36, 16 September 2019 (UTC)