Hablon User Group
Hablon User Group of Wikimedians in the Philippines or simply Hablon User Group (HUG) is a community of Filipino Wikimedians dedicated to promote free knowledge by improving Wikimedia projects through various activities such as, but not limited to, fora, learning sessions and edit-a-thons. It is based in Manila and Tacloban City in the Philippines.
Hablon is a Bisaya word which means either "weaver" or "something woven". Bisaya is the second among the languages in the Philippines that most Filipinos speak. Filipinos, especially indigenous Filipinos, are weavers.  As Filipino weavers use fibers and threads to illustrate the culture of the Philippines in their textiles, HUG strives to interlace small bits of information to form knowledge and to make these knowledge accessible to everyone through Wikimedia projects.
The three Wikimedians who spearhead Hablon User Group (HUG) are members of the Wikimedia Philippines (WMPH) when it was still active. As members, while the two of them have been part of the Open Web Day project of the Wikimedia Philippines and the Mozilla Philippines and the other one has been coordinating fora and edit-a-thons under an independent Wikimedia community recognized by the Wikimedia Philippines which is the Sinirangan Bisaya Wikimedia Community (SBWC), they collaborated on most of activities of SBWC particularly the 1st and 2nd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thons.
Despite the derecognition of WMPH in 2017, the three Wikimedians continue to participate and conduct fora, learning sessions and edit-a-thons either with SBWC or with other similar organizations.
Who we are
The Hablon User Group is not an affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation but is a community of volunteers for the Wikimedia movement.
To be more effective in promoting free knowledge by reaching out to other organizations and institutions to be partners, the three Wikimedians decided to form the Hablon User Group of Wikimedians in the Philippines or simply the Hablon User Group.
The purpose of Hablon User Group is to promote free knowledge by improving Wikimedia projects through activities and projects in partnership with like-minded individuals, organizations, institutions, the Wikimedia Foundation and other Wikimedia communities.
Specifically, this group aims to:
- Inform the public about the Wikimedia movement and its projects by participating and conducting meet-ups, fora, conferences and other activities;
- Encourage individuals, organizations, educational institutions and government units to contribute to Wikimedia projects by reaching out to them through meet-ups, fora, conferences, learning sessions and other activities;
- Improve Wikimedia projects by adding content and editing existing information by conducting learning sessions, edit-a-thons and other activities;
- Support the Wikimedia Foundation by promoting and participating in its projects, activities and other undertakings;
- Reach out to other Wikimedia communities by supporting, promoting and participating in their projects and activities as well as collaborating with them by exchanging ideas and good practices.
- Jojit fb – Administrator in Tagalog Wikipedia (primary contact person for the group)
- JinJian – Administrator in Waray Wikipedia
- Billie bb - (primary contact person for the group)
What we do
The activities in which these Wikimedians participated in, organized and conducted are as follows:
Type of activity Title of activity Organizations involved Year conducted Fora 2015 Waray Wikimedia Forums at Greater Tacloban PHILACI,[a] SBWC[b] 2015 Fora 5th Waray Wikimedia Forum AGIO,[c] SBWC 2017 Fora Software Freedom Day Celebration – Philippines CPU[d] 2017 Learning session Wikipedia Orientation CPU 2017 Edit-a-thon 3rd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Catbalogan City government, SBWC 2015 Edit-a-thon 4th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon JCI-Catarman Cocoking,[e] SBWC 2015 Edit-a-thon 5th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Municipal government of Guiuan, SBWC 2016 Edit-a-thon 6th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon UPVTC,[f] SBWC 2016 Edit-a-thon 7th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon PSHS–EV,[g] SBWC 2017 Edit-a-thon 2nd Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Pangasinan Pangasinan Wikipedia Community, Pangasinan Provincial Government 2017 Edit-a-thon 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary PhilWiki Community[h] 2017 Edit-a-thon 8th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon UPVTC, SBWC 2018 Edit-a-thon 9th Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon UPVTC, SBWC 2019 Paper Presentation How Philippine-language Editions of Wikipedia Can Assist in Achieving Equality in Indigenous Education International Conference on Multicultural Education, Linguistics, Counselling, and Social Sciences 2019[i] 2019
- a.^ PHILACI = Philippine Association of Court Interpreters;
- b.^ SBWC = Sinirangan Bisaya Wikimedia Community;
- c.^ AGIO = Association of Government Information Officers of Eastern Visayas Region;
- d.^ CPU = Computer Professionals' Union;
- e.^ JCI = Junior Chamber International, Philippines;
- f.^ UPVTC = University of the Philippines Visayas Tacloban College;
- g.^ PSHS-EV = Philippine Science High School Eastern Visayas Campus;
- h.^ PhilWiki Community = Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group;
- i.^ Organized by and held at the Agusan del Sur State College of Agriculture and Technology;
Likewise, they presented the experiences in improving Waray Wikipedia and the Philippines’ experiences in conducting edit-a-thons in the first ESEAP Conference in Bali, Indonesia in 2018.
Interested in joining
Please indicate below if you are interested in joining us. For questions or anything that you wish to discuss about the user group, please post it at the talk page.
- --Jojit (talk) 14:59, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- --Billie bb (talk) 15:01, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- --JinJian (talk) 15:02, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- Nepomocen, Jezza (2018-07-12). "Innovation can save hablon industry in Iloilo". Iloilo Metropolitan Times. - Meaning of hablon in Hiligaynon language.
- Binisaya.com - Meaning of hablon in Cebuano language.
- diksyonaryowaray.blogspot.com - Meaning of hablon in Waray language.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. (2013-08-30). "Many Voices, One Nation: The Philippine Languages and Dialects in Figures". Philippine Statistics Authority. Archived from the original on 2018-08-13.
- "Weaving the Philippines Local textures and fabrics". The Manila Times. 2014-07-02.
- Nazareno, Eileen (2015-08-05). "A Virtual Pool of Free Knowledge on Eastern Visayas". The Freeman. Archived from the original on 2015-08-05 – via The Philippine Star. - (A news article about the 2nd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon.)
- Nazareno-Ballesteros, Eileen (2015-12-01). "Regional assembly of court interpreters: Leyte governor, Palo mayor outline need for human resources improvement". The Freeman. Archived from the original on 2015-12-12 – via The Philippine Star. - (A news article about the regional assembly of PHILACI and the participation of Wikimedia and SBWC at their event.)