Hardware donation program/Venca24
Your contact information
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
Explain your plan
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you. Until now I was mainly contributing into Czech and Esperanto Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata by both my own works and by free works from other creators. I've also participated in some other Wikimedia projects in the past (Wikinews, Wikibooks, asf.). I'm also in touch with the Czech community of Wikimedians, Wikimedia Czech Republic, Wikimedia Slovakia User Group and WUG Esperanto kaj Libera Scio. Since 2014 I'm organizing Wikipedia courses during several international youth conventions as well as participating local events in the Czech Republic (Wikiconference 2014, Wikitown Litovel, Wikimeetings in Brno).
As the age of my current laptop (4 years) is starting to manifest itself and as I currently foresee extra expenses linked to looking for my first job and first independent accommodation, the laptop would help me to continue my contributions about current events on Czech Wikipedia, adding new free documents on Czech and Esperanto Wikisource and traveling to events to organize Wikimedia courses.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- Czech Wikipedia
- Czech and Esperanto Wikisource
Work you're proud of
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
- adding of free works of different kind into Czech Wikisource to illustrate the content of the Czech Wikipedia (including help with digitalization of Otto's encyclopedia - the biggest Czech encyclopedia besides Wikipedia)
- some of my pictures of current events in the Czech Republic (some of them reused by journalists)
- help with digitalization of the list of earliest Esperanto adopters published at the turn of the 19th and the 20th century
- w:eo:Historio de Pitkarna Insularo (61 kB large article about the History of Pitcairn Islands translated from Czech Wikipedia as part of translation contest in 2015, achieving status of Good Article)
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING THIS ON BEHALF OF A WIKIMEDIA AFFILIATE (i.e. to be owned by a Wikimedia affiliate rather than an individual), please type your affiliate name below, and add a link to your affiliate's public equipment tracking page.
- Affiliate name
- Public equipment tracking page
- Support I have been working together with Venca24 on Wikimedia projects for five years now, often serving as his mentor because he is six years my junior, studies in my city, attends our local Wikimedia meetups and is interested in similar topics like me. He is passionate about free content and constantly looking for new sources thereof, importing released media to Commons or publishing his own works. He is also one of the few people who are always at hand and ready to help when I need some practical help as community organizer. I also confirm that it is mostly his economic situation what has so far prevented him from broader activity in movement organizations and international events (travel costs, membership fees etc.). Last summer, upon learning about the opportunity at a meetup, he demonstrated his loyalty to WMF when he signed up as participant recruiter in the Czech Republic for the Foundation's New Editor Experiences research, when all other active Czech Wikimedians were already busy doing their staff. This has been a welcomed source of both experience and income for him. I am sure that a donated laptop would help him continue and further develop his activities. --Blahma (talk) 13:33, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Martin Kotačka (talk) 14:03, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support I know Venca24 for years now, both as a friend and as a wiki colleague. We was collabourating on several projects, including in-person Wikipedia trainings (using the scheme elaborated by WMPL), one of them actually planed for the international youth meeting next month. He is initiative and responsible guy, deeply involved in libre culture and movement but he sometimes lacks hard resources. I am sure that with small reasonable hardware support he will provide more profit for the Wikimedia mission. --KuboF Hromoslav (talk) 17:45, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.