Help talk:Namespace manager
According to the help page, the namespace manager is meant to ship with MediaWiki 1.7. All Wikimedia sites are currently running 1.7alpha, but Special:Namespaces seems not yet to exist. When will this feature be enabled? Also, will it include the Go-button namespace property described in bug 4738? If not, when will that property be available? At the English Wikisource we're eager to use these features to connect authors (currently in an Author: pseudo-namespace) to the Go button, but if they won't be available soon, we may take a different approach. Tim Smith 13:53, 27 April 2006 (UTC)
- The code was accepted by Brion. As far as I understand it, he started to update the code to the next release of PHP so that it could benefit from the new functionality that PHP-5 provides. More precise details I do not know. GerardM 20:31, 27 April 2006 (UTC)
'nsBootstrap.inc' missing from SVN
I checked out the namespace-manager branch yesterday but during setup, it references the non-existing file 'nsBootstrap.inc'. Is there any work still going on here? Thanks
--Liphos 14:53, 25 June 2006 (UTC)
- The only copy I could find in SVN...
- But don't bother with it, I tried slip-streaming it into the branch and the installer broke out with a missing method/function "::setup" error (or similar, - was quite frustrated already :P). The file seems to be very very old. --184.108.40.206 16:42, 18 July 2006 (UTC)
- I followed that link, copied that file from SVN to /maintenance, and then edited updaters.inc to call NamespaceBootstrap::install(); instead of NamespaceBootstrap::setup();. This got it to install. However, the namespace manager tool doesn't work. (Fatal error: SpecialPage::require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'SpecialNamespaces.php' (include_path='phase3:phase3/includes:phase3/languages') in phase3/includes/SpecialPage.php on line 411. Will further investigate and post results. -Joe Travaglini 16:46, 19 July 2006 (UTC)
- Update: This file has mysteriously vanished from SVN...
Is this feature still being released in 1.7x?
- I've downloaded and installed 1.7.1 and the namespace feature isn't included. I'd really like to use this feature in the wiki I maintain, as it has several pseudo-nampespaces, but I am hesitant in using a development branch.
- Does anyone know what the release plans are for this feature? Are there any known issues with the dev branch, or is it safe to use? Does the dev branch feature all the same things as 1.7.1?
- If not, what files need to be copied over if I were to merge the development branch with the stable build (i.e. what are the file dependencies for the namespace feature)?
- Ditto, what is up with this feature not being in 1.7.1 and when will we have it?Rlevse 18:35, 2 August 2006 (UTC)
- Double-ditto. The content page needs to be corrected; Near the top it states that Special:Namespaces is available in version 1.7.1, though near the bottom it implies that it might not be available, and in fact it is not. - jpl
- I'm adding my vote to those above asking for this extension or for an inclusion in the next release. This would be very helpful in our wiki. BartCW 15:43, 18 March 2008 (UTC)
Protected Namespaces to be addressed?
I think it's going to be great to have a namespace manager added to mediawiki, but will it also address the needs for assigning read/write groups to the namespaces when creating?
I know it's somewhat anti-wiki to want to close down parts to open editing, but when we have a group project that only the group wants to be able to read/write to, it would be nice to be able to do it through this interface instead of in the localsettings
JD 220.127.116.11 15:39, 2 December 2006 (UTC)
Is this branch still alive?
Seems like some time since this page was active, just wondering... The code did not seem to make it into 1.10 18.104.22.168 05:38, 5 July 2007 (UTC)