IRC office hours/Office hours 2015-06-19

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

[18:00:24] <matej_suchanek> Lydia_WMDE: ready?
[18:00:29] <Lydia_WMDE> hey everyone :)
[18:00:33] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: always :P
[18:00:54] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: want to poke meetbot?
[18:01:01] <matej_suchanek> ok
[18:01:11] <matej_suchanek> #startmeeting
[18:01:30] <Lydia_WMDE> who's here for the office hour?
[18:01:54] <dennyvrandecic> me!
[18:02:02] <matej_suchanek> #startmeeting Wikidata Office Hour
[18:02:10] <matej_suchanek> me
[18:02:12] <Lydia_WMDE> \o/
[18:02:14] <rdhyee> I'm here for office hour.
[18:02:22] <matej_suchanek> ne response from the bot ...?
[18:02:37] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: oh well... maybe still suffering from the labs outtage
[18:02:52] <Lydia_WMDE> aaaanyway - let's start
[18:03:14] <Lydia_WMDE> i wanted to give a short overview of what happened since the last office hour and then we can go into questions/discussions
[18:03:18] <Lydia_WMDE> ok?
[18:03:32] <dennyvrandecic> sounds good
[18:03:40] <Lydia_WMDE> cool
[18:03:43] <rdhyee> sure...(I have to run in about 30 min....)
[18:03:55] <Lydia_WMDE> the last office hour was a bit less than 3 months ago
[18:03:58] <Lydia_WMDE> a lot has happened
[18:04:11] <Lydia_WMDE> i'll be quick and only look at what i think is most relevant
[18:04:39] <Lydia_WMDE> the first one is the RfC that the german language wikipedia held on usage of wikidata
[18:05:16] <TomT0m> question for after : did you figure out something about queries user interface ?
[18:05:20] <Lydia_WMDE> they have the highest requirements for wikidata among all wikimedia projects i think. but the RfC outcome is very good in my opinion
[18:05:40] <matej_suchanek> yes, I wanted to read it but didn't find time
[18:05:52] <Lydia_WMDE> usage of wikidata data is allowed if there are reliable sources and if it used through a template
[18:06:32] <Lydia_WMDE> another big thing imho is the decision of english wikipedia to deprecate their persondata template in favor of wikidata
[18:06:42] <ricordisamoa> yes
[18:06:49] <ricordisamoa> just a bit late...
[18:07:02] <Lydia_WMDE> additionally they and italian wikipedia started to add authority control templates that take data from wikidata to a lot of articles
[18:07:03] <TomT0m> I'm having trouble with using redwd in Wikipedia in french today, an admin decided he did not want links on Reasonator or Wikidata :/
[18:07:23] <Lydia_WMDE> catalan uses wikidata for taxon IDs
[18:07:30] <Lydia_WMDE> so i think we're making very good progress there
[18:07:31] <Lydia_WMDE> \o/
[18:07:44] <dennyvrandecic> TomT0m: you mean "to" reasonator or Wikidata?
[18:08:05] <matej_suchanek> Lydia_WMDE: yes, I'm currently working on bigger inclusion in cswiki
[18:08:15] <TomT0m> dennyvrandecic, yep
[18:08:17] <Lydia_WMDE> another nice one: <- the graph extension was rolled out across wikimedia projects and hungarian wikipedia started making graphs based on wikidata data
[18:08:24] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: nice
[18:08:34] <ricordisamoa> KasparBot migrated enwiki authoritycontrol to wikidata
[18:08:40] <matej_suchanek> the progress is slow not to break anything though
[18:08:49] <Lydia_WMDE> i also loved the study that was published showing how english wikipedia's medical content can be improved with the help of wikidata:
[18:09:08] <Lydia_WMDE> we had the first wikidata visualization challenge:
[18:09:20] <dennyvrandecic> the study was really nice
[18:09:25] <ricordisamoa> i made a similar request ~2 years ago, it was denied; but times have changed!
[18:09:28] <Lydia_WMDE> addshore made new maps showing progress on geocoordinate coverage:
[18:09:37] <dennyvrandecic> yay!
[18:09:51] <Lydia_WMDE> musicbrainz and others are starting to use wikidata identifiers:
[18:10:05] <Lydia_WMDE> and we won another prize \o/
[18:10:28] <TomT0m> dennyvrandecic, he created this article, which is awfully funny of absurdity because ... it does not even have the informations Wikidata as :) this is worse than reasonator
[18:10:58] <Lydia_WMDE> i'm also really excited about Tpt interning at google to help with the freebase migration through the primary sources tool. this is i think how many such collaborations should be working in the future
[18:11:03] <TomT0m> Lydia_WMDE, \o/ really cool for Wikidata the graph extension
[18:11:07] <Lydia_WMDE> :D
[18:11:13] <Lydia_WMDE> on the more technical side:
[18:11:28] <Lydia_WMDE> we've started rolling out arbitrary access to a large number of wikis and more will follow
[18:11:39] <Lydia_WMDE> i'm interested in seeing cool uses of it if you know of any already
[18:11:43] <ricordisamoa> commons?
[18:11:44] <dennyvrandecic> TomT0m: I agree, that doesn't look particularly useful
[18:11:51] <Lydia_WMDE> i know it's been one of the most requested features
[18:12:12] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: for arbitrary access? we still have to iron out some issues with the multilingual nature of commons
[18:12:32] <Lydia_WMDE> i hope we can finish that in the next weeks. then wikimania is happening. so we're looking at a deployment after wikimania
[18:12:49] <ricordisamoa> the creator template needs major cleanup ;)
[18:12:55] <Lydia_WMDE> hehe
[18:13:00] <Lydia_WMDE> magnus has built the listeria tool:
[18:13:16] <Lydia_WMDE> this is helping prototype one of the initial goals of wikidata - list article creation
[18:13:30] <TomT0m> Lydia_WMDE, I created a project for cross item interwikis management
[18:13:39] <Lydia_WMDE> we've improved suggestions for values and made language fallback work in more places
[18:13:54] <Lydia_WMDE> TomT0m: i saw - very useful. please add to weekly summary
[18:14:13] <Lydia_WMDE> additionally we've made progress on some tasks related to quality:
[18:14:38] <Lydia_WMDE> *the students team is working with us to make constraint reports work better and allow checks against 3rd party databases
[18:14:50] <Lydia_WMDE> i hope we have at least a part of that out in the next 2 weeks
[18:15:25] <Lydia_WMDE> we've also started improving the watchlist integration on the wikipedias so editors there have a better sense of what is happening that is relevant to them
[18:16:12] <Lydia_WMDE> dennyvrandecic has published a new proposal for wiktionary: i think this is in a very good state now. if you're interested please give feedback now. we're getting closer to what i'd go ahead and implement
[18:16:56] <Lydia_WMDE> and of course we've helped stas and nik from the WMF make the query service happen. a beta version is now available on labs for testing
[18:17:06] <Lydia_WMDE> so give it a try please and report issues
[18:17:29] <Lydia_WMDE> and this allowed is to finally get an answer to the question that started wikidata:
[18:17:30] <Lydia_WMDE> ;-)
[18:17:40] <Lydia_WMDE> alright. that's my long list of cool things
[18:17:42] <dennyvrandecic> yay! great work on the query service
[18:17:46] <Lydia_WMDE> now what's next?
[18:17:53] <dennyvrandecic> wow, that was very impressive
[18:18:27] <Lydia_WMDE> improving the watchlist integration for wikipedias and other sister projects, finishing the improved constraint violation checks and 3rd party checks, unit support
[18:18:33] <Lydia_WMDE> and the query service
[18:18:50] <Lydia_WMDE> we've also gotten addshore to join WMDE again \o/
[18:18:57] <Lydia_WMDE> he's helping out with wikidata and other things
[18:19:02] <Tpt> nice!
[18:19:08] <Lydia_WMDE> and on monday a new frontend developer will start working with us
[18:19:17] <Lydia_WMDE> i'm super happy about that
[18:19:17] <matej_suchanek> hm
[18:19:24] <Tpt> great!
[18:19:26] <Lydia_WMDE> things are starting to pick up speed as you might have seen
[18:19:40] <Lydia_WMDE> alright. done :P
[18:19:49] <Lydia_WMDE> time for some questions and discussions
[18:20:01] <Lydia_WMDE> who wants to go first?
[18:20:24] <ricordisamoa> OSM integration!
[18:20:25] <rdhyee> I'd like to try out an idea.
[18:20:40] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: can you elaborate?
[18:20:45] <Lydia_WMDE> rdhyee: tell :)
[18:21:07] <rdhyee> I'm interested in uploading US Census data to wikidata.
[18:21:13] <ricordisamoa> i've been playing with an extension to get data from OpenStreetMap about nodes by Wikidata item id
[18:21:18] <harej> rdhyee: Aren't we all? :)
[18:21:32] <rdhyee> Should I write a proposal to approval for a bot (
[18:21:44] <Lydia_WMDE> rdhyee: sounds like the right thing to do yes.
[18:21:53] <rdhyee> ok
[18:21:56] <harej> (No but seriously I held a Wikidata hackathon with Census people in attendance and we made... very little progress.)
[18:22:06] <harej> If you can make more progress that would be excellent.
[18:22:12] <dennyvrandecic> rdhyee: that would be quite cool. How did you do the mapping?
[18:22:19] <Lydia_WMDE> harej: can you explain why there was little progress?
[18:22:29] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: cool :)
[18:22:29] <harej> We didn't know what we were doing?
[18:22:33] <Lydia_WMDE> heh
[18:22:34] <Lydia_WMDE> ok
[18:22:39] <rdhyee> I'm not very far along....but will start to figure out mappings....
[18:22:50] <harej> Wikidata was also not very mature at the time.
[18:22:58] <Lydia_WMDE> harej: rdhyee: maybe also check if there is a wiki project? or create one if none exists?
[18:23:07] <ricordisamoa> Lydia_WMDE: but it doesn't work :(
[18:23:11] <audephone> No units yet
[18:23:12] <rdhyee> I've worked with the US Census API for a while and have access to local census experts at Berkeley
[18:23:24] <Lydia_WMDE> audephone: a good point
[18:23:36] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: what's the holdup?
[18:23:53] <rdhyee> thanks for the encouragement, everyone....
[18:24:17] <ricordisamoa> a query service is needed to obtain the node
[18:24:22] <dennyvrandecic> ppopulation won't need units
[18:24:24] <ricordisamoa> such as{{{type}}}={{{id}}}
[18:25:06] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: on the OSM side? sorry i'm not very familiar with OSM :(
[18:25:19] <ricordisamoa> me neither
[18:25:51] <rdhyee> planning to start with populations from 2010 US census and look at issue of mapping census identifiers to wikidata identifiers....maybe easy maybe not....
[18:25:56] <TomT0m> I think we already have a property for population
[18:26:04] <matej_suchanek> indeed
[18:26:11] <TomT0m> I'm sure, I did use it
[18:26:28] <rdhyee> yes...there is a property for population. This idea came from my entering by hand the 2010 population for my city.
[18:26:45] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: then maybe have a chat with audephone and andy mabbet? they're both rather familiar with OSM
[18:26:58] <audephone> Census has stuff like area also
[18:27:08] <TomT0m> Tried to find a way to compute the precision of the INSEE datas, turns out they only give a pdf on how to compute it
[18:27:09] <ricordisamoa> a WMDEv should take a look at
[18:27:26] <audephone> But start with population is good
[18:28:22] <TomT0m> Lydia_WMDE, about precision, will there be a way to see the entered raw numbers ? Currently when adding a precisions, the numbers after precision are all 0 although the origianl number was more precise
[18:28:51] <Lydia_WMDE> TomT0m: what would you like to see?
[18:29:48] <TomT0m> I don't know, it's weird at first when you entered 198234123 and that 198230000 is showed finally
[18:30:49] <dennyvrandecic> so in that case the value was 198234123 and the precision was +- 10000?
[18:32:44] <ricordisamoa> with OSM we could have accurate coordinates, boundaries, streets, etc
[18:33:18] <TomT0m> yep, that's a little weird actually, but the insee publishes its raw census numbers with a well hidden pdf on how to compute the error margin
[18:33:40] <ricordisamoa>
[18:33:51] <ricordisamoa> "Therefore I would like to suggest the forming of a
[18:33:51] <ricordisamoa> working group with core users from OpenStreetMap and from Wikidata to sit
[18:33:51] <ricordisamoa> together on this subject."
[18:34:48] <TomT0m> came on this because a friend just added the Paris population for the city to show up on the big city with a female mayor query, and he wanted to remove the +/-1 ironically
[18:35:33] <TomT0m> of course remove but not add the precision :)
[18:35:33] <dennyvrandecic> he could have set it to 0
[18:35:47] <dennyvrandecic> but yes, I agree that's a bit weird.
[18:36:07] <dennyvrandecic> Lydia_WMDE: do you have a spec on how it should look like, or do you need one?
[18:36:09] <Lydia_WMDE> yeah the +/- 1 we really need to fix -.-
[18:36:12] <dennyvrandecic> community could work on one
[18:36:19] <dennyvrandecic> as a suggestion
[18:36:27] <TomT0m> dennyvrandecic, yep, that's what he did, but I wanted to add the real precision, it's kind of globally absurd when you think about it
[18:36:31] <Lydia_WMDE> no if someone wants to write up a suggestion that'd be aprechiate
[18:36:32] <Lydia_WMDE> d
[18:36:57] <dennyvrandecic> TomT0m: let's work on a suggestion. You want to start a first draft?
[18:37:45] <dennyvrandecic> TomT0m: yeah, a bit absurd, but it sounds right. This kind of things happen all the time with scientific data
[18:39:06] <TomT0m> dennyvrandecic, ok, I'll think about it
[18:39:12] <Lydia_WMDE> cool :)
[18:39:52] <Lydia_WMDE> sooooo then a question from my side: coolest usage of arbitrary access so far you've seen?
[18:40:14] <matej_suchanek> my own taxobox
[18:40:21] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: ohhhh
[18:40:22] <Lydia_WMDE> link?
[18:40:38] <matej_suchanek> however, cswiki is getting arbacc on Monday
[18:41:00] <matej_suchanek> so it isn't live
[18:41:01] <audephone> tuesday
[18:41:19] <Lydia_WMDE> awwwww ok. do send me a link when it's live then
[18:42:51] <matej_suchanek> also icons for ratings of videogames (PEGI, USK)
[18:43:03] <Lydia_WMDE> is that live?
[18:43:20] <matej_suchanek> yes, but it uses array of images instead
[18:43:30] <Lydia_WMDE> ok
[18:43:46] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: what's your latest cool thing?
[18:44:34] <Lydia_WMDE> Tpt: do you want to give us a short update on all things primary sources tool?
[18:44:47] <Tpt> Lydia_WMDE: Yes.
[18:45:19] <matej_suchanek> then there is one use case one hold but our community would like it
[18:45:32] <ricordisamoa> Lydia_WMDE: nothing after :(
[18:45:36] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: which one?
[18:45:38] <ricordisamoa> ...but keep listening!
[18:45:47] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: that is pretty cool! :)
[18:46:01] <Tpt> I am at Google since two weeks. I have mainly focus currently on creating a conversion tool between Freebase dumps format and Wikidata statement system in order to feed the Primary Sources tool
[18:46:04] <matej_suchanek> gender inflection of labels using monolingual property which hasn't been created yet
[18:46:18] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: ah ok. noted.
[18:46:30] <matej_suchanek> useable on occupations actor - actress
[18:46:37] <Lydia_WMDE> *nod*
[18:46:44] <matej_suchanek> thus herec - herečka
[18:47:05] <Tpt> A first set of statements have already been uploaded to Primary Sources. Your feedbacks are welcome. To use the Primary Source tool please visit
[18:47:05] <ricordisamoa> looks interesting
[18:47:39] <Lydia_WMDE> Tpt: any chance you can tell us what kind of data you've worked on already and what's coming?
[18:48:21] <Tpt> The first uploaded dumps contains only simple statements (e.g. without qualifiers) between items.
[18:48:37] <Lydia_WMDE> ok
[18:48:49] <Tpt> The next one should support all Wikidata types (times, coordinates, strings...)
[18:49:22] <Tpt> and also qualifiers in order to reflect the compound data types of Freebase (that works more or less like our qualifiers)
[18:49:41] <Lydia_WMDE> great
[18:50:03] <matej_suchanek> Lydia_WMDE: in my head there are also sister cities and birthplaces/deathplaces with countries and flagicons
[18:50:53] <Lydia_WMDE> matej_suchanek: nice! looking forward to seeing it
[18:51:08] <Lydia_WMDE> alright. we have about 10 mins left. anything else you want to talk about today?
[18:51:53] <TomT0m> nope, I'm out
[18:51:57] <TomT0m> good bye
[18:51:58] <Tpt> One of the big challenge that remains is to map as many Freebase properties as possible. I have created a page with the most used properties to do so: Your help is welcome for this topic
[18:52:53] <Lydia_WMDE> Tpt: want to add it to the weekly summary as well?
[18:53:07] <Tpt> Lydia_WMDE: Yes, it would be nice
[18:54:07] <Lydia_WMDE> is always open ;-)
[18:54:55] <Tpt> Lydia_WMDE: thanks :-)
[18:55:18] <Lydia_WMDE> alright. thanks so much everyone for coming.
[18:55:23] <Lydia_WMDE> always nice hanging out with you :)
[18:55:45] <ricordisamoa> popups work on properties
[18:55:46] <Lydia_WMDE> hope to see some of you at wikimania
[18:55:50] <ricordisamoa> but it's hackish
[18:55:58] <Lydia_WMDE> ricordisamoa: yay! indeed!
[18:56:07] -*- Lydia_WMDE <3 hovercards
[18:56:18] <Tpt> Thank you very much Lydia_WMDE
[18:59:44] <dennyvrandecic> thanks