International Museum Day 2021
CALL TO IMPROVE THE PRESENCE OF MUSEUMS ON WIKIPEDIA
AND WIKIDATA CONTEST
3 TO 18 MAY 2021
With this call, Wikimedia Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy want to give an impulse to support this initiative, despite the actual circumstances, where culture knows no borders and lives on virtually. Many museums have adapted their operations to support virtual formats, released high resolution images and information under a free license and organize virtual collection tours.International Museum Day 2021 "The Future of Museums: Recover and Reimagine".
The objective of International Museum Day (IMD) is to raise awareness of the fact that, “Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.”
In keeping with Museum Day and this year's focus, we invite you to help us in completing and improving the presence of museums on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
Thank you for participating!
An initiative by Wikimedia Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France and Italy
"The Future of Museums: Recover and Reimagine"
- Museums have the potential to embrace and lead the change in this pivotal moment for our society. The time is now to rethink the museum's relationship with the communities they serve, to experiment with new and hybrid models of cultural fruition and to strongly reaffirm the essential value of museums for the construction of a just and sustainable future. Museums must advocate for the creative potential of culture as a driver for recovery and innovation in the post COVID era.
- With the theme "The Future of Museums: Recover and Reimagine", International Museum Day 2021 invites museums, their professionals and communities to create, imagine and share new practices of (co-)creation of value, new business models for cultural institutions and innovative solutions for the social, economic and environmental challenges of the present.
- As representative of the global museum community, the vision of ICOM is a world where the importance of natural and cultural heritage is universally valued. Today, more than ever, museums face unique challenges related to social, economic, and ecological issues. While serving as witness of the past and guardians of humanity's treasures for future generations, museums play a key role in development through education and democratisation.
Consult the geographic museums map for linked Wikimedia content
If you are a Wikidata expert, participate in our Wikidata contest and help us improve and inject meta data into Wikidata to complete the geographical visualization on museums in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France and Italy.
- Black symbols: no Wikipedia article
- Red symbols: one Wikipedia article
- Orange symbols: at least two Wikipedia articles
- Green symbols: four Wikipedia articles
How to participate & contribute
We have set up an outreach dashboard for all other activities aside from the Wikidata contest. If you want to enroll and assign the articles or categories you are working on for IMD2021 please click here. The registration on the dashboard is optional.
- 50Y Women's Suffrage in Switzerland
- Sum of all paintings and the list of shared collections
- Austria regional project RegiowikiAT
- Art collections at Europeana Link
- UNESCO Digital Library – Open access material for research Link
- Museums Online Switzerland Link
- Images Archives ETH-Library Link
- Online Collection Swiss National Museum Link
- Images Archives Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Volkskunde Link
- Portail Joconde, liste officielle des musées de France Link
- Projet Wikidata Musées de France Link
- Collections Paris Musées Link
- Des collections en partage Musée de Bretagne Link
- Sculptures de la villa romaine de Chiragan du musée Saint-Raymond-Toulouse(éléments Wikidata déjà existants, ensemble des images à uploader au bas de cette page) Link
- Collections des musées de Normandie Link
GLAM Program & Partnership Manager, Wikimedia Switzerland
(Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums)
Find the list of contact persons by Wikimedia chapter in the table below:
|WM chapter||For voluntary community||For cultural institutions||For communication and press|