Learning patterns/A playful logo builds identity and invites interaction
What problem does this solve?
Wikipedia often lacks visual character and efforts to bring people together around a project or initiative benefit from personalization and theme. Logos are an element of branding which can distinguish a space and give it a unique feel which emphasizes the best aspects of the space and how it works. Any logo should be memorable; a playful logo can go even further to encourage participation.
What is the solution?
Think of the essential attributes of the space you're building, the core activity, the key dynamics, and the intangible mood or tone it would have when functioning well.
Brainstorm and play around with different theme ideas, perhaps identifying words or images that evoke the environment and activity you envision.
Find a talented designer, either by approaching experienced editors, holding a community design drive, or contracting a design student or professional.
Logos capture the spirit of participation and engagement for that space. They set the visual tone.
When to use
The Wikipedia Library
The Wikipedia Adventure
- The Wikipedia Library: An owl on a book with a mouse signifies the intersection of old and new media in a virtual library
- The IdeaLab: A science-kitten embodies playful experimentation
- The Wikipedia Adventure: A humanoid alien guide is a universal helper on the journey of joining Wikipedia
- Teahouse: The petaled tree represents a space that feels natural, calm and pleasant to visit and ask questions
- I JethroBT
- María Cruz
- b 184.108.40.206 20:19, 6 October 2015 (UTC)
- The process of building the WikiWomen Logo for our Taipei community is very similar to this one. Please refer to our monthly field note of November 2015 (in Chinese) for further detail. Liang(WMTW) (talk) 16:34, 4 October 2016 (UTC)
- Intresting. Regards, KCVelaga (talk — mail) 16:02, 31 July 2018 (UTC)