Learning patterns/Relicensing encyclopedic work under CC license to grow Wikisource and Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A learning pattern forcontent release partnerships
created on28 January, 2016
What problem does this solve?
Non availability of online reliable resources related to Telugu language, culture, social and political aspects in Telugu language to improve articles has been a hindrance to good quality articles in Telugu Wikipedia.
What is the solution?
- Build content release partnerships
- Get reliable resource relicensed under CC-BY-SA licenses
- Conduct thematic digitization sprints to digitize the relicensed work on Wikisource
- Wikipedia edit-a-thon to use the digitized work as source and citation to improve the articles on Wikipedia
Things to consider
- Actual encyclopedic content in the work to be relicensed
- Community consultation before content acquisition and during the entire process
- Good quality scanning and using OCR to the optimum level to reduce digitization time and effort of Wikisourcers
When to use
- When quality of articles in any particular subject area is low and has more important for readers
- When organizations/copyright holders/authors approach/show interest for using their work for Wikipedia/Wikisource when CIS-A2K contacted Telugu Jathi Foundation, publisher of the Nadustunna Charitra and the Amma Nudi magazine they have showed interest to relicense its content)
- Blog post on Relicensing Nadustunna Charitra into CC-BY-SA license.