- The following discussion is preserved as an archive of a closed Meta-Wiki request. Please do not modify it.
Hi Bureaucrats, I'm a sysop in Nepali Wikipedia and long time localization/Translation contributor in Meta-Wiki, Translatewiki.net where I localize MediaWiki and OSM, Manage Ubuntu Localization for Nepali in Launchpad, Mozilla Community, The Document Foundation and Transifex.
I'd like to be able to import offline translations using Special:ImportTranslations. सरोज कुमार ढकाल (talk) 16:18, 4 February 2017 (UTC)
- Unless I'm mistaken, using the offline translation importer can seriously mess the translations page if not correctly formatted. Which experience do you have with that tool? Besides, while we certainly appreciate your translations I'd like to see more experience here before granting this permission, as I don't see a need right now to grant the full translationadmin package. —MarcoAurelio 11:27, 7 February 2017 (UTC)
- @MarcoAurelio : I use OmegaT CAT tool and Poedit. I verify the GNU gettext syntaxes in translations using translate toolkit. I already stated I maintain many projects above and I do offline most of the time because I utilize my offline time to contribute besides working.If community entrusts me I'd be thankful.सरोज कुमार ढकाल (talk) 01:59, 9 February 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for your reply. Waiting to hear from others such as @Nemo bis, Base, and Kaganer or others interested before making a decision. Regards, —MarcoAurelio 10:29, 17 February 2017 (UTC)
I have to admit that I know nothing about translations import, so I can provide zero useful input on this part, though generally the request looks valid for me. But सरोज कुमार ढकाल, could you please read the documentation to the more highly used part of the extension (mw:Special:MyLanguage/Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example & mw:Special:MyLanguage/Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example) and confirm here doing so. I think there is a high chance that sooner or later you will face need to mark a page for translation, so I will feel more comfortable if you knew what you will be doing. --Base (talk) 12:03, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- @Base, I'd like to export messages from here, translate it offline, validate it and then import here and I've been using similar system in translatewiki.net for years.सरोज कुमार ढकाल (talk) 15:58, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- Yes, I understand, I generally have no objections on this part, but with my own lack of experience using it I do not if there are any pitfalls one should watch for. Since you have the experience using this tool, I feel reassured. But still since unlike Translatewiki here you can easily change the original English text, and I would say sometimes it is very tempting to do so, as there might be a typo if not something worse, I'd like you to know at least the basics of the use of the other part of the flag. I suggest you at least read the first page of the ones I linked, it gives the basics in an easy form, the second page you would need if you ever actually turn to doing it yourself. Well, I do not insist though, so if it is too much of a bother for you, since the request is valid as it is, I am okay with granting the flag already, just trying to be as sure as I could be :) --Base (talk) 16:21, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- Done - Given that the only way to allow offline translating and import is by this permission. Please be careful and in case of doubt seek assistance at Meta:Babylon. Thank you for willing to help in translations. Best regards, —MarcoAurelio 09:31, 20 February 2017 (UTC)
- The above request page is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Comments about this page should be made in Meta:Babel or Meta:Requests for help from a sysop or bureaucrat.