This page has been created by Joalpe to help coordinate the Latin American and Caribbean Wikimedia affiliates to set up the process of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee affiliate selectors group.
The Movement Charter defines the roles and responsibilities for all in the Wikimedia Movement. It will be a shared framework for working together toward the Wikimedia Movement Strategic Direction. The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will create a draft of this Charter. This group will have 15 members.
The committee's work extends to writing a draft. It includes research and consulting with communities, experts, and organizations. This draft will need to gain consensus by Movement-wide ratification before it becomes the Charter.
All affiliates in Latin America and the Caribbean Wikimedia will nominate 1 selector for the whole region. There are 14 affiliates in the region. This selector will join eight other selectors, coming from other regions, who will select 6 members of the committee.
Guidelines to the choose on the selector, as indicated on Drafting Committee selection process:
- Each region will appoint 1 selector in a transparent affiliate selecting process to form a 9 member Selection Committee.
- Each region decides their preferred selection method.
- The selectors need to be appointed and the committee formed by October 10, 2021
- The selection process will run in parallel to the election process and will focus on adding diverse expert profiles to the Drafting Committee based on the Diversity and Expertise matrices.
- Every selector will create their list of preferences.
- There will be a meeting to discuss the preferences and to finalize the selection across the group.
- The selection will be conducted between October 11 - 24, 2021
- The results of the selection process and the Drafting Committee members will be announced before the end of October 31, 2021.
- Appointed selectors cannot be candidates for the Drafting Committee.
- Notify the Movement Strategy and Governance team of the outcome, so we can set up and convene the group of selectors.
- These steps should be completed by October 10, 2021.
- Movement Strategy and Governance team is readily available to support or facilitate any regional discussions at any of the described steps.
Procedure for nominating the selector
- Open Nominations for selectors in the region will be open from today, October 2, until October 6 at 23:59 h. Any participating person from the region can nominate itself as a selector (staff, board member or volunteer).
- Affiliates in the region (14 votes in total) will be able to vote for a selector until October 9 at 12:00 h.
- The selector who obtains 50 plus 1 of the votes will be elected, in case of a tie, the affiliates will meet again to determine the selector of the region.
Please, include your name on the list below and add a short description about yourself.
- Osmar Valdebenito - member of the Board of Wikimedia Chile.
- Mónica Bonilla - Wikimedia Colombia represent.
Voting by selectors will be open from October 7 to 9, 2021, with one vote per affiliated group.
|Affiliate||Type of affiliate||Region||Selector|
|Wikimedia Argentina||Chapter||Latin America & Caribbean||Osmar Valdebenito|
|Wikimedia Mexico||Chapter||Latin America & Caribbean||Osmar Valdebenito|
|Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||Mónica Bonilla|
|Wikimedia Chile||Chapter||Latin America & Caribbean||Osmar Valdebenito|
|Wikimedia Venezuela||Chapter||Latin America & Caribbean||Mónica Bonilla|
|Grupo de Usuários Wiki Movimento Brasil||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||Mónica Bonilla|
|Wikimedistas de Uruguay||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||Mónica Bonilla|
|Wikimedia Colombia||Chapter||Latin America & Caribbean||Mónica Bonilla|
|Wikimedistas de Bolivia User Group||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
|Wikimedistas de Ecuador||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
|Wikimedia Community User Group Haiti||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
|Wikimedians of the Caribbean User Group||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
|Wikimedistas de Perú||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
|Wikimedistas de El Salvador||User Group||Latin America & Caribbean||N/A|
With a participation of eight affiliates, Mónica Bonilla is elected to be the selector for the Latin America & Caribbean region.
Drafting Committee Candidates
There are 73 candidates to the Movement Charter Drafting Committee.
Candidates from Latin America and the Caribbean are in alphabetical order:
Chico Venancio, User:ChicocvenancioÉrica Azzellini, user:EricaAzzellini
- Galahad, User:Galahad
- Handgod Abraham, User:Kitanago
- Ian Ramjohn, User:Guettarda
- Pepe Flores, User:Padaguan
- Rafael Laynes Hancco, User:RaftaLayns123
- Ybsen M. Lucero, User:Ybsen lucero
Our selector will not be mandated to choose a Drafting Committee candidate from our region (to be checked), so the list above is not exhaustive.
Please, correct if any mistake was made on and complete the list.