Movement roles project/Initial Questions
This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete.
Related to now concluded Wikimedia movement roles project.
The movement roles working group is collecting a broad range of views from Wikimedians who already have some knowledge of how the movement is working. We want to hear your answers to the following questions about the roles of various Wikimedia organizations.
To respond, copy the questions below to a subpage named with your username (e.g. /Example User) and add it to the list on the responses page. If you would prefer that your answers not be public, or have anything to add to your public response, feel free to e-mail Austin (adhair AT gmail DOT com) and/or Jon (jon DOT huggett AT gmail DOT com).
Please do not edit the questions here—in order to get consistent results, it's important that the format stay the same. If you have any suggestions for additional discussion points, drop a note on the talk page.
- 1 Initial Questions
- 2 See also
Vision and Mission
- Are you familiar and comfortable with the vision and mission of the Wikimedia Foundation?
- Do you and your organization share this vision and mission?
The strategic planning project framed the following goals for the movement:
- Secure the infrastructure
- Increase global participation
- Improve quality
- Expand reach
- Support innovation
With that in mind:
- How applicable do you think these goals are to your role in the movement?
- How can the Wikimedia movement best meet these goals?
- Should the movement spend its resources on goals/activities of groups that are not wholly aligned with the strategic goals?
Roles in the Wikimedia movement
- What role do you see for you and your organization in achieving the vision, mission and strategic goals?
- What role should other groups play in achieving our movement priorities?
- What do these groups need to fulfill this role?
- What do they need from others to fulfill this role?
- What do they need to provide others to fulfill their roles?
- Which interactions with other groups in this movement are critical for each group to play their part?
Entities in the Wikimedia movement
- What should be the core tasks and roles of the Wikimedia Foundation in the movement?
- What do you think should be the core tasks and roles of a chapter in the movement?
- How should the role of a sub-national chapter differ from a national chapter?
- What do you see the core tasks and roles of the chapters committee to be?
- Are there core movement tasks or roles that are not now adequately served, or that might need to be served in the future?
- What should other and new Wikimedia entities (groups that don’t fall within the current definition of a 'chapter', but share many attributes and goals) do?
Relationships among entities within the Wikimedia movement
- What should be the minimum standards of transparency among Wikimedia entities – the Wikimedia Foundation, chapters, etc.?
- What safeguards should be in place between entities to protect the integrity and reputation of the movement?
- To whom are the Wikimedia entities accountable? (e.g. their members, other entities in the movement, etc.)
- What is the right way to include various movement groups in the overall governance of the Wikimedia movement?
Resources for entities within the Wikimedia movement
- How should resources be secured to support the growth of the Wikimedia movement and fulfilling of the mission?
- How best to ensure that each Wikimedia entity has the funds it needs to a) survive and b) fulfill its mission?
- How best to ensure that money is distributed to ensure that the Wikimedia movement achieves its goals in the best way?
- To support the growth and sustainability of the Wikimedia movement, what is the one, most important change we need to make?
- What change could most help you now in your role in the Wikimedia movement?
- How would you describe your affiliation with Wikimedia?
- Would you consider yourself to be affiliated with:
- The Wikimedia Foundation?
- A chapter? (If so, which one?)
- A project? (If so, which one?)
- Another group? (If so, which one?)
- None at all? (If so, feel free to elaborate.)
- Is there anybody else you would specifically recommend we ask for their views?