New England Wikimedians
|Keep in touch!|
New England Wikimedians is a Wikimedian User Group, with the goal of representing all Wikimedians in New England. The user group was approved on December 30, 2013.
We're taking an example from our pioneering neighbors in New York City with Wikimedia New York City, and hope to cooperate with them and other US chapters in future through a Wikimedia United States Chapters Council.
Anyone interested in participating should also watch the pages listed below:
- 1 You can join!
- 2 Upcoming events!
- 3 Yearly events
- 4 Ongoing projects
- 5 Legal standing
- 6 Organization
- 7 Contact Us
You can join!
If you do not live in New England, you can still participate in this chapter's projects and meetings online. If you do live in Boston, you are welcome to join this chapter's projects and meetings in person. Feel free to ask questions on the talk page then join the mailing list to start receiving news about events and to participate in discussions.
- May 3: Native American & Chinese Art edit-a-thon @ Peabody Essex Museum
- June 14: Cape Cod Wiknic and Photography Blitz
- June 25: How to Run an Edit-a-thon/Adrianne Wadewitz Memorial Edit-a-thon
- July 19: 3rd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting
Women's History Edit-a-thon(s) (March)
Wikimedians in New England organize and participate in edit-a-thons during the month of March in conjunction with WikiWomen's History Month.
Wikimedians in New England organize a yearly picnic, the Wiknic, usually around the 4th of July.
Wikimedians in New England participate in the Wikimania conference.
Wiki Loves Monuments (September)
Wikimedians in New England participate in Wiki Loves Monuments, which is a photo tour. The members take pictures of local monuments and upload those into Commons as part of the project's contest.
Ada Lovelace Day Edit-a-thon (October)
On Ada Lovelace Day (mid-October), Wikimedians in New England organize an annual edit-a-thon with two main goals: Encouraging women in particular to learn how to edit Wikipedia, and improving and adding articles on women in science, technology, engineering and math.
Wikipedia Loves Libraries (October)
Wikipedia Loves Libraries is the name of an ongoing effort to promote collaboration between the Wikipedia community and libraries, and during Open Access Week in the last full week of October this chapter participates in that project by having a meetup in a library.
In addition, Open Access to Mass History is planned series of edit-a-thons during Open Access Week, broadly themed around Massachusetts history. See our schedule for more info -- there should be several Massachusetts sites and subjects to choose from!
Education and outreach
Wikimedians in New England send campus ambassadors to schools to do Wikipedia outreach. Wikimedians in New England also support Wikipedians in Residence at local organizations.
We still need to finalize our minimal bylaws, though we don't plan on getting legally incorporated anytime soon.
Budget and financial history are at our finances page.
Right now, we're working on working with the other chapters in order to collaborate on different projects through the Wikimedia United States Chapters Council.
For around ten years, beginning in 2004, the New England meetups were held on a roughly bimonthly schedule. Since the beginning of 2014, we are holding less meetups in order to consolidate interest, and hope to resume more frequent meetups in the coming months.
Currently, there is no official board for the user group, but we have various persons who help organize things who fall in line with a Board of Directors:
- Co-organizers: Kevin Rutherford and Maia Weinstock
- Treasurer: Benjamin Lees
- Secretary: John Sanzi
- Clerk: Jennifer Baek
Wikimedians in New England will not have any membership restrictions based on geographical location. However, it will be difficult for people who live far away to participate in the Chapter. If you are interested in joining, or would just like to be kept up-to-date about the process, post your name here:
- Kevin Rutherford (talk) 22:49, 19 July 2011 (UTC)
- – GorillaWarfare talk 04:23, 22 December 2011 (UTC)
- want to be kept up-to-date and probably join, though I'm not in Boston! Aude 00:41, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- Dominic 03:43, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 02:31, 7 April 2012 (UTC) - not necessarily able to join due to being in the Midwest - but support and interested in its development
- daniel renfro — a developer looking for a local community
- C. Scott Ananian — a mediawiki developer looking for a local community
- Girona7 (talk) 13:08, 24 July 2013 (UTC)
- VictorZzzzz (VictorZzzzz (talk) 02:21, 1 September 2013 (UTC)) - Allow me to get started on stuff quickly :)
- --Another Believer (talk) 15:28, 25 September 2013 (UTC) (I live on the opposite coast but support this group's efforts and wish to remain informed about its activities.)
- Rachel99 — Former OPW intern with Wikimedia QA group looking for a local community
- Pharos (talk) 17:46, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Antony–22 (talk⁄contribs) 21:51, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Faolin42 (talk) 17:07, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
- Sven Manguard Wha? 03:48, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:22, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- Reify-tech (talk) 22:21, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 08:58, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- Pi.1415926535 (talk) 01:04, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- 184.108.40.206 (talk) 21:42, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
- User:Sphilbrick SPhilbrick(Talk) 01:10, 20 July 2013 (UTC)
- Magic Sands (talk) 02:57, 20 July 2013 (UTC) — perhaps best known as an editor of Wikimedia New England's by-laws, as of 2013
- LibraryMatt (talk)
- P64 (talk) 20:55, 9 July 2013 (UTC)
- Achowat (talk) 13:56, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
- Madcoverboy (talk) 02:39, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
- --Malerooster (talk) 16:41, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- Protonk (talk) 18:21, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- --mikeu talk 15:09, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 18:33, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
- -Esietukeme (talk) 21:14, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
- Grumpycraig (talk) 19:41, 19 January 2014 (UTC)
- AmandaRR123 (talk) 17:45, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- weelilbit (talk) 18:41, 3 April 2014 (UTC)
Where Wikimedians in New England track its activities.
Meeting minutes are here.
- April 2012
- July 2013 (Event page)
- October 2013
- January 2014 (Event page)
- April 2014 (Event page)
- July 2014 (Event page)
We are very interested in contacts with outside individuals and other organizations in the local community.
If you have a project you want to work on with us, this is a great opportunity to get acquainted. If you want someone to give a talk or teach a class with an inside view of Wikipedia, meet your volunteers. And if you just have any questions, we'd be glad to try to answer them.