North Carolina Wikipedians/Monthly-Meeting

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2019[edit]

February[edit]

Date[edit]

February 27th from 6 - 7pm

Location[edit]

OptSus Marketing 800 Park Offices Dr, Research Triangle Park, NC Innovate conference room on the 3rd floor

Remote Participation[edit]

https://meet.google.com/mav-cryf-mua

+1 929-324-1391‬ PIN: ‪668 364 443‬#

Agenda[edit]

  • schedule March meeting
  • discuss leadership team selection
  • March 26th event in Winston Salem college.

RSVP[edit]

Frankcjones (talk) 17:05, 19 February 2019 (UTC) Kayz911 (talk) 16:15, 20 February 2019 (UTC)

Jodi Wert - Attending

Regrets[edit]

Eyoungstrom (talk)

March[edit]

Date[edit]

March 25th from 7 - 8pm

Location[edit]

OptSus Marketing 800 Park Offices Dr, Research Triangle Park, NC Dive conference room on the 3rd floor

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet

meet.google.com/eik-ybwm-otx

Phone Number

+1 385-404-5230‬

PIN: ‪640 849 663#‬

Agenda[edit]

  • Schedule April - June meetings
  • Select leadership team
  • March 26th event in Winston Salem
  • Delegating a strategy liaison (see below)

Strategy liaison[edit]

From an email sent by Wikimedia Deutschland on 24 February 2019:

You are receiving this message because you have been a point of contact in for the strategy team in phase 1. We are now on the search for representatives from the organized part of our movement who can act as liaisons between their group and the current phase of the Movement Strategy Process. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20

The core goal of the Movement Strategy Process is to develop and implement recommendations for a structural reform of the Wikimedia Movement to advance in the Strategic Direction. Central to doing this effectively will be establishing a continuous dialogue with Individual Contributors as well as Organized Groups to ensure they remain up to date about the ongoing conversations and are enabled to provide input from their perspective.

With this email, we invite you to sign up as a Strategy Liaison for your Affiliate, group, collaboration or committee. As the interface between the overall process and organizations, Strategy Liaisons for Organized Groups will assist the flow of information so that Organized Groups can take part in global conversations and surface what matters most in their context.

Strategy Liaisons for Organized Groups will:

  • Act as the bridge between Organized Groups and the overall Movement Strategy Process;
  • Proactively update their organization about the ongoing work and how it can participate in it effectively;
  • Coordinate and facilitate discussions within the organization and highlight the most important organizational feedback points to the Working Groups.

We’d like Strategy Liaisons to commit to the role from March to December, 2019. In some weeks, such as during the community conversations in March-April as well as August-September, Liaisons will ideally be able to commit approximately 5-8 hours per week to monitor global conversations and facilitate organizational discussions. Outside of the active periods, you would ideally be able to commit 1-2 hours per week to stay up to date and engage with important questions or issues related to your organization.

If this has sparked your interest, you can

[Note: These have all passed, but supposedly there will be more]

In the coming weeks, we will also work with 9 Community Language Liaisons and call for volunteer Liaisons for Community Conversations to engage with the individual contributor communities.

RSVP[edit]

Regrets[edit]

None

Minutes[edit]

In attendance: 6 members

SCHEDULE APRIL - JUNE MEETINGS

  • Meetings are scheduled for the third Monday of the month, 7pm - 8pm, at Research Triangle Park in NC. As NC membership grows, we will consider hosting meetings at different locations.

SELECT LEADERSHIP TEAM

  • We selected people for the following roles:
  • Chair;
  • Co Chair / Secretary;
  • Co Chair / Treasurer for Triangle Area, NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill);
  • Liaison / Treasurer for Western NC

All members are in charge of communication & promotion of WMF's mission to help everyone share in the sum of all knowledge. Current goal: Increase active membership to achieve many hands, light work.

ACCOUNTABILITIES AT THE FOREFRONT OF OUR MINDS (continuing discussion):

  • Keep membership and meetings moving / growing;
  • Attendance @ WALRUS;
  • Mailing lists - which are most relevant to our group at this time?;
  • Annual report;
  • Process for selecting delegate to attend WMF Berlin;
  • Find more events / ways to engage (ongoing edu & outreach);
  • Advocacy

MARCH 26TH EVENT IN WINSTON SALEM

  • 2 members will attend this event.
  • Attending members, do you want to add a summary report here?
  • Ask from our membership: Let the folks in Winston-Salem know that our membership is growing, and we have women on our team. Our apologies that no women could make this event, and thanks to the men who are representing!

DELEGATE A STRATEGY LIAISON

  • A member is interested and discerning this role. Outcome TBA.

END OF MINUTES FROM MARCH 25, 2019 MEETING

April[edit]

Date[edit]

April 15, 2019, 7 - 8pm

Location[edit]

OptSus Marketing 800 Park Offices Dr, Research Triangle Park, NC

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet

meet.google.com/eik-ybwm-otx

Phone Number

+1 385-404-5230‬

PIN: ‪640 849 663#‬

Agenda[edit]

  • Share contact info among members
  • List events that qualify as Educational Outreach.
  • Outline A-Z protocol on hosting an event.
  • A member wants to discuss the best event for a particular group.
  • What else? Add on!

Minutes[edit]

In attendance: 3 members (2 in person, 1 call-in)

NAME CHANGE

  • It's official! We changed from North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians to NORTH CAROLINA WIKIPEDIANS. We'll need to fix some links and pages to be fully integrated.

GRANT APPLICATION FOR HOSTING EVENTS (for next 6 months)

  • Due Date: May 1st
  • Name: Wikipedia Rapid Grant
  • To Do: Bulleted list outlining the event
      • What you want to do
      • How you want to do it
      • Where you want to do it
      • With whom
      • $$ amount needed (≥ $2,000), and how funds will be budgeted (easier if individual is receiving funds vs. an institution)
  • Post-event: send in report & receipts
      • Resources to Learn More About Grant Applications
            1. 1 - a member in our group (ask if you don't know)
            2. 2 - a member in our group (ask if you don't know)
            3. 3 - Google search

MEETING LOGISTICS

  • Time & Place: Keep at set time (7-8pm) and place (RTI) so folks can set a habit.
  • Remote Participation: If joining remotely, please call in on Google Hangouts. Instructions are on our user group page under the meeting date.

WIKI CONFERENCE NORTH AMERICA:

  • In Boston
  • September or October
  • Watch for details
  • On user group page, we need to share deadlines & application

THE REST IS (MOSTLY) TO ORIENT NEWBIES

  • GUIDING PRINCIPLES: Just in Time Learning (learn what's needed just in time to do a task) & Do What You Can
  • SHARE CONTACT INFO AMONG MEMBERS: Chair, Co Chairs, and a Wise Man have each other's info. That seems sufficient for now.
  • LIST EVENTS THAT QUALIFY AS EDU OUTREACH & OUTLINE A-Z PROTOCOL ON HOSTING AN EVENT: This is happening over email. See Wiki Edu as well.
  • WALRUS MEETINGS: If someone in the group is able to attend quarterly, it's a win for us!
  • OUTLINE OF ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This convo may unfold more, but for now, our Co Chair / Treasurer is in charge of money matters / grant applications for the group, and our Co Chair / Secretary is in charge of monthly agenda, minutes, and documentation for the group. If someone hosts an event, they will likely help out with grants and documentation related to their event.
  • GO-TO SOURCE FOR WIKIPEDIA
  • People! Have a question? Tap the network!
  • Internet! Figure out the key words, and, hopefully, the search engine will drop you in the appropriate rabbit hole.

END OF MINUTES FOR APRIL 15, 2019 MEETING

May[edit]

Date[edit]

May 20, 2019, 7 - 8pm

Location[edit]

This is a call-in meeting. Please see below for remote participation instructions.

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet https://meet.google.com/yjq-weit-dno?hs=122

Join by phone +1 260-232-3941‬ PIN: ‪847 523 422‬#

Agenda[edit]

  • Details on Wiki Conference North America
  • What else? Add on!

Minutes[edit]

Present: 4 members, all call-in

WIKI CONFERENCE NORTH AMERICA

  • Location: definitely Boston, MA
  • Date / Timing to be determined (when funding is secure)
  • A member will post more information as it's available.
  • Last year's conference information can be found at https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2018/Main_Page

GRANT APPLICATION STATUS

  • Our Co-Chair / Treasurer is in final stages of submitting the application. Thank you to all who helped!
  • There's a section in the grant to ask for members' usernames in support of the grant. When grant is submitted, our Co-Chair / Treasurer will email a call to action: 1 sentence + a link to the grant.

EMAIL LISTSERV

  • A member will email the listserv to the rest of the group.

WIKI NORTH AMERICA WALRUS CALLS

  • The next call is Monday, June 10th, 9pm EST
  • Our Co-Chair / Secretary will join the call.
  • June call details will be posted soon (facilitators, agenda, etc.)
  • For reference, here's a link to the May 2019 meeting details: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WALRUS/May_2019

LOCATION TRANSITIONS

  • 2 members are moving away from the Triangle area this summer.
  • We will miss them, and cheer their WMF work in their new homes. Together we are one body, many parts!
  • One of the relocating members currently hosts our meetings at his workplace.
  • During our June and July meetings, we will brainstorm best options for a new meeting location.
  • Idea: survey the current participating membership (Chair, Co-Chair / Treasurer, Co-Chair / Secretary) for meeting locations that make sense for their home and work geographies, as well as ease of navigating, parking, and distance for potential members.

June[edit]

Date[edit]

Monday, June 17, 2019, 7 - 8pm

Location[edit]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/OptSus+Marketing/@35.8961659,-78.8724993,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89acef5c466eedf7:0x876eb6c64278740e!8m2!3d35.8961659!4d-78.8703106 OptSus Marketing 800 Park Offices Dr, Research Triangle Park, NC

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet

meet.google.com/yjq-weit-dno

Phone Number

+1 260-232-3941

PIN: ‪847 523 422‬#

Agenda[edit]

  • Begin discussion: our new meeting location starting in August / September. Continue this discussion at July meeting. Idea: survey the current participating membership (Chair, Co-Chair / Treasurer, Co-Chair / Secretary) for meeting locations that make sense for their home and work geographies, as well as ease of navigating, parking, and distance for potential members.
  • What else? Add on!

Minutes[edit]

Our Co-Chair / Secretary will not attend this meeting. Is another member willing to take / post minutes?

July[edit]

Date[edit]

Monday, July 15, 2019, 7 - 8pm

Location[edit]

This is a call meeting - please join Hangouts or by phone (below).

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet meet.google.com/yjq-weit-dno

Join by phone ‪+1 260-232-3941‬ PIN: ‪847 523 422‬#

Agenda[edit]

  • Plans for Fall
  • Operations
  • Next Meeting

Minutes[edit]

PLANS FOR FALL

  • Continue planning big events and edit-a-thons, and share plans / feedback with our NC Wikipedia group so we can support and celebrate.
  • As a group, choose dates (1, 2, 3?) for coffee socials to recruit new NC Wikipedia members. An idea: host one in each big city of the Triangle Area: Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh.

OPERATIONS

  • Monthly meetings will be CALL MEETINGS, and will remain on the 3rd Monday of the month @ 7pm.
  • Our Treasurer will check grant status.
  • Our new Co-chairs are committed to learning more about how Wikipedia works so we can spread the word with consistency.
  • A near-term goal: join WALRUS calls.
  • A far-term goal: create a social media page for NC Wikipedia. Do we need to discuss as a larger group?

NEXT MEETING

  • Monday, August 26, 2019 (this is an exception to our normal 3rd Monday)
  • 7pm call

August[edit]

Date[edit]

Monday, August 26, 2019, 7 - 8pm (this is an exception to our normal 3rd Monday)

Location[edit]

This is a call meeting - please join Hangouts or by phone (below).

Remote Participation[edit]

Join Hangouts Meet meet.google.com/yjq-weit-dno

Join by phone ‪+1 260-232-3941‬ PIN: ‪847 523 422‬#

Agenda[edit]

  • Plans for Fall
  • Future Edit-a-thons dates
  • New Rapid Grants procedures
  • New Rapid Grants proposals (if you have an idea, please be ready to submit one in September)
  • Membership drive ideas
  • Wikimedia+Education Conference: A member wants to learn more, and possibly attend next year. Here's a link to the 2019 Conference
  • More agenda items? Add on!

Minutes[edit]

NEXT MEETING

  • Monday, September 16, 2019

2020[edit]

January 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a call meeting - please join via Web Ex, information will be in your email, please pass on to any interested friends.

Agenda[edit]

  • Plans for Spring
    • HGAPS is doing edit-a-thons at UNC Chapel Hill on Thursday nights, March 19 and April 2
  • Future Edit-a-thons
  • Membership drive ideas
  • In person chapter meetings
  • Email listserv and who will monitor?
  • More agenda items? Please feel free to add them below.

Notes at https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/nc-triangle-wikipedians-2020jan14

Notes[edit]

Notes:

  • Plans for spring / future edit-a-thons:
    • 1Lib1Ref starts tomorrow! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Lib1Ref
    • Target for UNC-Chapel Hill Libraries: 400 citations!
    • Annual Women in Science edit-a-thon happening at UNC Library (Kenan Science Library in Venable Hall, https://marine.unc.edu/about-us/contact/driving-directions/) in April
    • Journalism Library at UNC-Chapel Hill may also have another edit-a-thon in the spring
    • Black Mountain College Museum in Asheville wants to do Art + Feminism edit-a-thon in March. Kasey submitting grant proposal.
      • Alice Whiteside at UNC-Chapel Hill has run numerous Art + Feminism edit-a-thons and can provide guidance if needed.
      • HGAPS (https://hgaps.org) is doing edit-a-thons at UNC Chapel Hill (usually Howell Hall, next to the arboretum) (https://maps.unc.edu/history/unc-museum/howell-hall/ ) on Thursday nights, March 19 and April 2
        • We can pay for parking for people interested in either event, and there will be food! (Pizza, or Moe's, or similar) 5-7pm
        • March 19 is focused on clinical psychology and assessment, with lots of graduate students and some professors and clinicians
    • April 2 is focused on using Wikipedia in teaching (show and tell around Wiki Edu, and small groups working on projects)
    • Danielle planning to do an edit-a-thon at NCCU this semester
    • Gaurav interested in doing something for Wikipedia Day... but time is tight.
    • Durham Public Library is a draw, because it's either open/will open, so people might show up just to look at it
  • Membership drive ideas/in-person chapter meetings
  • Email listserv and who will monitor?
  • Next meeting day
    • Tuesday, Feb 4, 2020
    • Tuesday, Mar 3, 2020
    • First Tuesday of the month!
    • Tentative: *Tuesday, April 14, 2020 (not first Tuesday due to Wikimedia Summit)

Action items:

  • Kasey: Report on grant application submission process on https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Wikipedians, as well as recent edit-a-thon outcomes.
  • Kasey: If you want to follow up with Alice Whiteside re: running an Art + Feminism edit-a-thon, get in touch with Therese or Emily.
  • Gaurav: look into organizing a last-minute Wikipedia Day thing.
  • Everyone: scout locations for social (non-edit-a-thon) gatherings
  • Danielle: set up mailing list, add Gaurav as secondary administrator

February 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, February 4, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a conference call meeting, please pass on to any interested friends. Dial-in Number for Conference call: 612-421-0950 Conference Code: 945070 Time: 7:30 pm EST

Agenda[edit]

  • Follow up on tasks from last meeting
  • Mailing list complication
  • Wikipedia Day event follow up
  • 1Lib1Ref Follow up
  • March: Social Meeting

Notes[edit]

  • Grant was sent in but due to complicated process it was not fully submitted
  • Ideas for next year, plan ahead for for Wikipedia Day across NC (have events across the state)
  • Frank will contact someone about the mailing list

Events:

  • Women in Science at ECU (hope to do this in the future)
  • Wikipedia Hip Hop Edit-a-thon in Charolotte, NC, February 7, hosted with MIT and Afrocrowd
  • Art Library at UNC hosting Art and Feminism March 2
  • Black Mountain College Edit-at-thon March 28
  • March in person social, meet at the Transfer Company Food Hall in Raleigh, a Doodle Poll will be send out for possible dates.

March 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a conference call meeting, please pass on to any interested friends. Dial-in Number for Conference call: 612-421-0950 Conference Code: 945070 Time: 7:30 pm EST

Agenda[edit]

April 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, Arpil 28, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Webex meeting, please pass on to any interested friends. Meeting information in email. Time: 7:30 pm EST

Agenda[edit]

  • Social Meeting
  • Please add agenda

June 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a conference call meeting, please pass on to any interested friends. Dial-in Number for Conference call: (701) 802-5077 Conference Code: 175062 Time: 7:30 pm EST

Agenda[edit]

August 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Zoom meeting, please pass on information shared in email to to any interested friends. Time: 7:30 pm EST

Agenda[edit]

October 2020[edit]

Date[edit]

Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Google Meet meeting, please pass on information shared in email to to any interested friends. Contact User No misunderstanding (talk) if you have any questions about meeting details.

Agenda[edit]

2021[edit]

February 2021[edit]

Date[edit]

Thursday, February 18, 2021, 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Google Meet meeting, please pass on information shared in email to to any interested friends. Contact User No misunderstanding (talk) if you have any questions about meeting details.

Agenda[edit]

  • WCNA 2021 Planning is underway, please give your feedback: Survey link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeXUnVDD-Z3aO9DAoyDDBtdSEE6fv7ltZG6yGK_PuUI3xuvzQ/viewform

  • WCNA 2020
  • Future Plans
  • Questions/Comments/Ideas
  • Please add to the agenda

October 2021[edit]

Date[edit]

Thursday, October 7, 2021, 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Zoom meeting, please pass on information shared in email to to any interested friends. Contact User Sodapopinski7 (talk) if you have any questions about meeting details.

Agenda[edit]


December 2021[edit]

Date[edit]

Thursday, December 2, 2021, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Location[edit]

This is a Zoom meeting, please pass on information shared in email to to any interested friends. Contact User Sodapopinski7 (talk) if you have any questions about meeting details.

Agenda[edit]

  • Big Wiki* updates -- Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Charter, etc.
  • Spring planning
  • Questions/Comments/Ideas
  • Discuss possible joint activities with HGAPS User Group -- User:Eyoungstrom as liaison
    • Edit-a-thons
    • Working on specific pages
    • Train the trainer workshops
    • Assisting with execution of rapid grants?
      • Prizes?
      • Direct support for your time? (fiscal or credit -- letter of commendation/thanks? Barnstar?)
  • [Add your agenda item here]

Notes[edit]

  • We're being asked whether we, as a user group, think there should be a formal ratification process for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines. During the meeting, nobody had strong feelings either way.
  • Spring planning
    • A remote New Year gathering? And/or something for Wikipedia Day?
    • We talked about a possible outdoor gathering, perhaps a botanical photo walk or something monument-themed in Hillsborough (a Revolutionary War town).