In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaukrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire februar 2020):
- DeltaQuad fra enwiki
- Dyolf77 fra commonswiki
- Elmacenderesi fra trwiki
- Emufarmers fra enwiki
- EVinente fra ptwiki
- Galahad fra eswikivoyage
- Jamie Tubers fra enwiki
- Krd fra dewiki, commonswiki
- Teles fra ptwiki
- Wikilover90 fra puwiki
februar 2018 — februar 2019:
februar 2017 — april 2018:
- Lankiveil fra enwiki
- Richwales fra enwiki (februar 2017 — februar 2018)
- Vogone fra wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (februar 2017 — februar 2018)
februar 2016 — februar 2019:
- Alan fra commonswiki (februar 2016 — februar 2018)
- NahidSultan fra bnwiki, commonswiki (februar 2016 — februar 2017)
- Pajz fra dewiki (februar 2016 — februar 2019)
- Taketa fra nlwiki (februar 2016 — februar 2017)
februar 2015 — februar 2018:
- Alhen fra eswiki (februar 2015 — februar 2017)
- Barras fra simplewiki, metawiki (februar 2015 — november 2016)
- PhilKnight fra enwiki (februar 2015 — februar 2017)
- Rubin16 fra ruwiki
februar 2014 — februar 2018:
- Avraham fra enwiki (februar 2014 — februar 2016)
- Gnom fra dewiki fra itwiki (februar 2014 — februar 2017)
- M7 fra itwiki (februar 2014 — juni 2014)
- Polimerek fra plwiki
- Stryn fra fiwiki, wikidatawiki (februar 2014 — juli 2014)
februar 2013 — februar 2017:
- Deskana fra enwiki (februar 2013 — september 2013)
- Erzbischof fra dewiki (februar 2013 — februar 2014)
- Huji fra fawiki
- Levg fra ruwiki (februar 2013 — februar 2015)
februar 2011 — februar 2016:
- Dweller fra enwiki (april 2011 — februar 2013)
- FloNight fra enwiki (april 2011 — februar 2014)
- Herbythyme fra commonswiki (februar 2011 — april 2011)
- Mwpnl fra nlwiki (februar 2011 — februar 2013)
- Pundit fra plwiki (april 2011 — februar 2012)
- Sir48 fra dawiki (februar 2011 — februar 2015)
- Thogo fra dewiki
februar 2010 — februar 2011:
januar 2009 — februar 2010:
december 2007 — januar 2009:
juli 2006 — december 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- i 2013: februar–juni, juli–december.
- i 2014: februar–juni, juli–december.
- i 2015: februar–juni, juli–december.
- i 2016: februar–juni, juli–december.
- i 2017: januar–juni, juli–december.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- Special global permissions