In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire Sıbate 2020):
- DeltaQuad ra enwiki
- Dyolf77 ra commonswiki
- Elmacenderesi ra trwiki
- Emufarmers ra enwiki
- EVinente ra ptwiki
- Galahad ra eswikivoyage
- Jamie Tubers ra enwiki
- Krd ra dewiki, commonswiki
- Teles ra ptwiki
- Wikilover90 ra puwiki
Sıbate 2018 — Sıbate 2019:
Sıbate 2017 — Nisan 2018:
- Lankiveil ra enwiki
- Richwales ra enwiki (Sıbate 2017 — Sıbate 2018)
- Vogone ra wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (Sıbate 2017 — Sıbate 2018)
Sıbate 2016 — Sıbate 2019:
- Alan ra commonswiki (Sıbate 2016 — Sıbate 2018)
- NahidSultan ra bnwiki, commonswiki (Sıbate 2016 — Sıbate 2017)
- Pajz ra dewiki (Sıbate 2016 — Sıbate 2019)
- Taketa ra nlwiki (Sıbate 2016 — Sıbate 2017)
Sıbate 2015 — Sıbate 2018:
- Alhen ra eswiki (Sıbate 2015 — Sıbate 2017)
- Barras ra simplewiki, metawiki (Sıbate 2015 — Tışrino Peyên 2016)
- PhilKnight ra enwiki (Sıbate 2015 — Sıbate 2017)
- Rubin16 ra ruwiki
Sıbate 2014 — Sıbate 2018:
- Avraham ra enwiki (Sıbate 2014 — Sıbate 2016)
- Gnom ra dewiki ra itwiki (Sıbate 2014 — Sıbate 2017)
- M7 ra itwiki (Sıbate 2014 — Heziran 2014)
- Polimerek ra plwiki
- Stryn ra fiwiki, wikidatawiki (Sıbate 2014 — Temuz 2014)
Sıbate 2013 — Sıbate 2017:
- Deskana ra enwiki (Sıbate 2013 — Keşkelun 2013)
- Erzbischof ra dewiki (Sıbate 2013 — Sıbate 2014)
- Huji ra fawiki
- Levg ra ruwiki (Sıbate 2013 — Sıbate 2015)
Sıbate 2011 — Sıbate 2016:
- Dweller ra enwiki (Nisan 2011 — Sıbate 2013)
- FloNight ra enwiki (Nisan 2011 — Sıbate 2014)
- Herbythyme ra commonswiki (Sıbate 2011 — Nisan 2011)
- Mwpnl ra nlwiki (Sıbate 2011 — Sıbate 2013)
- Pundit ra plwiki (Nisan 2011 — Sıbate 2012)
- Sir48 ra dawiki (Sıbate 2011 — Sıbate 2015)
- Thogo ra dewiki
Sıbate 2010 — Sıbate 2011:
Çele 2009 — Sıbate 2010:
Kanun 2007 — Çele 2009:
Temuz 2006 — Kanun 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- in 2016: January–June, July–December.
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- hekemê xoseri:
- Special global permissions