|For legal and security reasons, the Wikimedia Foundation has decided that two-factor authentication is required for this role.|
In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administratoriai, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire vasario 2021):
- Ajraddatz from metawiki, wikidata
- DeltaQuad from enwiki
- Elmacenderesi from trwiki
- Emufarmers from enwiki
- Galahad from eswikivoyage
- Kelapstick from enwiki
- Taketa from nlwiki
- Teles from ptwiki
- Uzoma Ozurumba from metawiki
- Wikilover90 from puwiki
vasario 2019 — vasario 2020:
- EVinente from ptwiki
vasario 2018 — vasario 2020:
- Billinghurst from enwikisource (vasario 2018 — vasario 2019)
- Dyolf77 from commonswiki
- Jamie Tubers from enwiki
- Saileshpat from orwiki (vasario 2018 — vasario 2019)
vasario 2017 — vasario 2020:
- Góngora from cawiki, eswiki (vasario 2017 — vasario 2019)
- Krd from dewiki, commonswiki
- Lankiveil from enwiki (vasario 2017 — balandžio 2018)
- Richwales from enwiki (vasario 2017 — vasario 2018)
- Vogone from wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (vasario 2017 — vasario 2018)
vasario 2016 — vasario 2019:
- Alan from commonswiki (vasario 2016 — vasario 2018)
- NahidSultan from bnwiki, commonswiki (vasario 2016 — vasario 2017)
- Pajz from dewiki (vasario 2016 — vasario 2019)
vasario 2015 — vasario 2018:
- Alhen from eswiki (vasario 2015 — vasario 2017)
- Barras from simplewiki, metawiki (vasario 2015 — lapkričio 2016)
- PhilKnight from enwiki (vasario 2015 — vasario 2017)
- Rubin16 from ruwiki
vasario 2014 — vasario 2018:
- Avraham from enwiki (vasario 2014 — vasario 2016)
- Gnom from dewiki from itwiki (vasario 2014 — vasario 2017)
- M7 from itwiki (vasario 2014 — birželio 2014)
- Polimerek from plwiki
- Stryn from fiwiki, wikidatawiki (vasario 2014 — liepos 2014)
vasario 2013 — vasario 2017:
- Deskana from enwiki (vasario 2013 — rugsėjo 2013)
- Erzbischof from dewiki (vasario 2013 — vasario 2014)
- Huji from fawiki
- Levg from ruwiki (vasario 2013 — vasario 2015)
vasario 2011 — vasario 2016:
- Dweller from enwiki (balandžio 2011 — vasario 2013)
- FloNight from enwiki (balandžio 2011 — vasario 2014)
- Herbythyme from commonswiki (vasario 2011 — balandžio 2011)
- Mwpnl from nlwiki (vasario 2011 — vasario 2013)
- Pundit from plwiki (balandžio 2011 — vasario 2012)
- Sir48 from dawiki (vasario 2011 — vasario 2015)
- Thogo from dewiki
vasario 2010 — vasario 2011:
- Carkuni from jawiki
- DR from ruwiki
- Elian from dewiki
- Lar from enwiki, commonswiki
- Palnatoke from dawiki
sausio 2009 — vasario 2010:
- PatríciaR from commonswiki
- Sam Korn from enwiki
- Schiste from frwiki
- Shizhao from zhwiki
- Tinz from dewiki
gruodžio 2007 — sausio 2009:
liepos 2006 — gruodžio 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- in 2016: January–June, July–December.
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- Special global permissions