In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire Pébruari 2020):
- DeltaQuad ti enwiki
- Dyolf77 ti commonswiki
- Elmacenderesi ti trwiki
- Emufarmers ti enwiki
- EVinente ti ptwiki
- Galahad ti eswikivoyage
- Jamie Tubers ti enwiki
- Krd ti dewiki, commonswiki
- Teles ti ptwiki
- Wikilover90 ti puwiki
Pébruari 2018 — Pébruari 2019:
Pébruari 2017 — April 2018:
- Lankiveil ti enwiki
- Richwales ti enwiki (Pébruari 2017 — Pébruari 2018)
- Vogone ti wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (Pébruari 2017 — Pébruari 2018)
Pébruari 2016 — Pébruari 2019:
- Alan ti commonswiki (Pébruari 2016 — Pébruari 2018)
- NahidSultan ti bnwiki, commonswiki (Pébruari 2016 — Pébruari 2017)
- Pajz ti dewiki (Pébruari 2016 — Pébruari 2019)
- Taketa ti nlwiki (Pébruari 2016 — Pébruari 2017)
Pébruari 2015 — Pébruari 2018:
- Alhen ti eswiki (Pébruari 2015 — Pébruari 2017)
- Barras ti simplewiki, metawiki (Pébruari 2015 — Nopémber 2016)
- PhilKnight ti enwiki (Pébruari 2015 — Pébruari 2017)
- Rubin16 ti ruwiki
Pébruari 2014 — Pébruari 2018:
- Avraham ti enwiki (Pébruari 2014 — Pébruari 2016)
- Gnom ti dewiki ti itwiki (Pébruari 2014 — Pébruari 2017)
- M7 ti itwiki (Pébruari 2014 — Juni 2014)
- Polimerek ti plwiki
- Stryn ti fiwiki, wikidatawiki (Pébruari 2014 — Juli 2014)
Pébruari 2013 — Pébruari 2017:
- Deskana ti enwiki (Pébruari 2013 — Séptémber 2013)
- Erzbischof ti dewiki (Pébruari 2013 — Pébruari 2014)
- Huji ti fawiki
- Levg ti ruwiki (Pébruari 2013 — Pébruari 2015)
Pébruari 2011 — Pébruari 2016:
- Dweller ti enwiki (April 2011 — Pébruari 2013)
- FloNight ti enwiki (April 2011 — Pébruari 2014)
- Herbythyme ti commonswiki (Pébruari 2011 — April 2011)
- Mwpnl ti nlwiki (Pébruari 2011 — Pébruari 2013)
- Pundit ti plwiki (April 2011 — Pébruari 2012)
- Sir48 ti dawiki (Pébruari 2011 — Pébruari 2015)
- Thogo ti dewiki
Pébruari 2010 — Pébruari 2011:
Januari 2009 — Pébruari 2010:
Désémber 2007 — Januari 2009:
Juli 2006 — Désémber 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- in 2016: January–June, July–December.
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- Special global permissions