In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
Ombudsmen have the following rights globally:
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
Current ombudsman users
See also automatically generated list (terms expire ఫిబ్రవరి 2020):
- DeltaQuad from enwiki
- Dyolf77 from commonswiki
- Elmacenderesi from trwiki
- Emufarmers from enwiki
- EVinente from ptwiki
- Galahad from eswikivoyage
- Jamie Tubers from enwiki
- Krd from dewiki, commonswiki
- Teles from ptwiki
- Wikilover90 from puwiki
ఫిబ్రవరి 2018 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2019:
ఫిబ్రవరి 2017 — ఏప్రిల్ 2018:
- Lankiveil from enwiki
- Richwales from enwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2017 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2018)
- Vogone from wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2017 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2018)
ఫిబ్రవరి 2016 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2019:
- Alan from commonswiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2016 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2018)
- NahidSultan from bnwiki, commonswiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2016 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017)
- Pajz from dewiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2016 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2019)
- Taketa from nlwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2016 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017)
ఫిబ్రవరి 2015 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2018:
- Alhen from eswiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2015 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017)
- Barras from simplewiki, metawiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2015 — నవంబరు 2016)
- PhilKnight from enwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2015 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017)
- Rubin16 from ruwiki
ఫిబ్రవరి 2014 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2018:
- Avraham from enwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2014 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2016)
- Gnom from dewiki from itwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2014 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017)
- M7 from itwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2014 — జూన్ 2014)
- Polimerek from plwiki
- Stryn from fiwiki, wikidatawiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2014 — జూలై 2014)
ఫిబ్రవరి 2013 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2017:
- Deskana from enwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2013 — సెప్టెంబరు 2013)
- Erzbischof from dewiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2013 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2014)
- Huji from fawiki
- Levg from ruwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2013 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2015)
ఫిబ్రవరి 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2016:
- Dweller from enwiki (ఏప్రిల్ 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2013)
- FloNight from enwiki (ఏప్రిల్ 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2014)
- Herbythyme from commonswiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2011 — ఏప్రిల్ 2011)
- Mwpnl from nlwiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2013)
- Pundit from plwiki (ఏప్రిల్ 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2012)
- Sir48 from dawiki (ఫిబ్రవరి 2011 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2015)
- Thogo from dewiki
ఫిబ్రవరి 2010 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2011:
- Carkuni from jawiki
- DR from ruwiki
- Elian from dewiki
- Lar from enwiki, commonswiki
- Palnatoke from dawiki
జనవరి 2009 — ఫిబ్రవరి 2010:
- PatríciaR from commonswiki
- Sam Korn from enwiki
- Schiste from frwiki
- Shizhao from zhwiki
- Tinz from dewiki
డిసెంబరు 2007 — జనవరి 2009:
జూలై 2006 — డిసెంబరు 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
ఇవి కూడా చూడండి
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- in 2016: January–June, July–December.
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group:
- Special global permissions