In addition to official investigation, they will mediate between the complainant and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, oversighter, Bureaucrat, Administrator, or arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman will assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the board in handling the case.
An ombudsman's investigation should be conducted in a manner determined by the ombudsman to ensure fairness and impartiality. As a general guideline, it is best that ombudsmen avoid conflicts of interest as much as possible, particularly by avoiding routine use of CheckUser or oversight access and not processing complaints on the projects on which they are very active editors. However, matters that come before the commission are not clearcut, and the language and culture of various projects may pose barriers to outsiders. As such, how the commission investigates complaints is left to the discretion of its appointed members.
Ombudsman requests may be made to the following email address (preferably in a language spoken by one of the members):
Members of the ombudsman commission are selected by Wikimedia Foundation officials from the Wikimedia community. A call for volunteers is issued each year in early December on the Wikimedia-L mailing list and on the talk page of this policy, as well as other project forums as appropriate. They are appointed (assuming they agree) for a period of approximately one year. An ombudsman's real identity must be disclosed to the Foundation legal counsel. A non-voting alternate member may be appointed to serve for one year, with an expectation for a seat as a full member the following year.
- Search deleted pages (browsearchive)
- Check users' IP addresses and other information (checkuser)
- View the checkuser log (checkuser-log)
- View deleted history entries, without their associated text (deletedhistory)
- View deleted text and changes between deleted revisions (deletedtext)
- View private logs (suppressionlog)
- View revisions hidden from any user (viewsuppressed)
See also automatically generated list (terms expire 2月 2020):
- DeltaQuad from enwiki
- Dyolf77 from commonswiki
- Elmacenderesi from trwiki
- Emufarmers from enwiki
- EVinente from ptwiki
- Galahad from eswikivoyage
- Jamie Tubers from enwiki
- Krd from dewiki, commonswiki
- Teles from ptwiki
- Wikilover90 from puwiki
2月 2018 — 2月 2019:
2月 2017 — 4月 2018:
- Lankiveil from enwiki
- Richwales from enwiki (2月 2017 — 2月 2018)
- Vogone from wikidata, dewiki, metawiki (2月 2017 — 2月 2018)
2月 2016 — 2月 2019:
- Alan from commonswiki (2月 2016 — 2月 2018)
- NahidSultan from bnwiki, commonswiki (2月 2016 — 2月 2017)
- Pajz from dewiki (2月 2016 — 2月 2019)
- Taketa from nlwiki (2月 2016 — 2月 2017)
2月 2015 — 2月 2018:
- Alhen from eswiki (2月 2015 — 2月 2017)
- Barras from simplewiki, metawiki (2月 2015 — 11月 2016)
- PhilKnight from enwiki (2月 2015 — 2月 2017)
- Rubin16 from ruwiki
2月 2014 — 2月 2018:
- Avraham from enwiki (2月 2014 — 2月 2016)
- Gnom from dewiki from itwiki (2月 2014 — 2月 2017)
- M7 from itwiki (2月 2014 — 6月 2014)
- Polimerek from plwiki
- Stryn from fiwiki, wikidatawiki (2月 2014 — 7月 2014)
2月 2013 — 2月 2017:
- Deskana from enwiki (2月 2013 — 9月 2013)
- Erzbischof from dewiki (2月 2013 — 2月 2014)
- Huji from fawiki
- Levg from ruwiki (2月 2013 — 2月 2015)
2月 2011 — 2月 2016:
- Dweller from enwiki (4月 2011 — 2月 2013)
- FloNight from enwiki (4月 2011 — 2月 2014)
- Herbythyme from commonswiki (2月 2011 — 4月 2011)
- Mwpnl from nlwiki (2月 2011 — 2月 2013)
- Pundit from plwiki (4月 2011 — 2月 2012)
- Sir48 from dawiki (2月 2011 — 2月 2015)
- Thogo from dewiki
2月 2010 — 2月 2011:
- Carkuni from jawiki
- DR from ruwiki
- Elian from dewiki
- Lar from enwiki, commonswiki
- Palnatoke from dawiki
1月 2009 — 2月 2010:
- PatríciaR from commonswiki
- Sam Korn from enwiki
- Schiste from frwiki
- Shizhao from zhwiki
- Tinz from dewiki
12月 2007 — 1月 2009:
7月 2006 — 12月 2007:
Please follow these guidelines when submitting an inquiry to the commission:
- Be concise. Lengthy emails with unnecessary information make it harder for the commission to process the case in a timely manner.
- Be objective. Avoid making inquiries based on speculations or subjective judgements.
- Provide evidence. Please provide us with diff links and/or permanent links when possible.
- Be specific. Specify what part of which policy has been violated.
- Please inform us if your wiki has an Arbitration Committee (or a similar committee) and if you have reached them (or used other dispute resolution procedure customary to your community) before reaching the Ombudsman Commission. Provide a link to the relevant case page if appropriate.
Cases brought to our attention will be processed the following way:
- Confirmation of the request: we will send a notice of confirmation to the requester, and if necessary ask for further information.
- Scope: if the request is within the scope of the ombudsman commission, we will do the investigation, if not we will decline the request and try to direct the complainor to a better place to get help for his/her individual problem.
- Investigation: We do whatever is necessary to find out whether or not there was a breach of the policies or a non-compliance or conflict of local policies with the global ones.
Reports of the commission
- in 2013: February–June, July–December.
- in 2014: January–June, July–December.
- in 2015: January–June, July–December.
- 喺2016: 一月至六月。七月至十二月。
- in 2017: January–June, July–December.
- in 2018: January–June, July–December.
- in 2019: January–June
- Board resolutions: Ombudsperson Checkuser (July 2006) — Wikimedia Committees (minutes of presentation on Ombudsman Commission; January 2009) — Amending the Scope of the Ombudsman Commission (November 2015)
- Requests for comment: Scope of Ombudsman Commission (May—December 2013)
- Announcement Ombudsman commission wider scope (January 2016)
- New commission announcements: 2007 — 2009 — 2011 — 2012 — 2013 — 2014 — 2015 — 2016 — 2017 — 2018
- Information on the ombudsman global user group: