|The following page is a translation of global policy into Azerbaijani language. |
Please note that in the event of any differences in meaning or interpretation between the original English version of this document and a translation, the original English version takes precedence.
This page has been developed and approved by the community and its compliance is mandatory for all projects. It must not be modified without prior community approval.
Oversight or suppression refers to hiding revisions, edit summaries, usernames, or log entries from the public. This access is available to oversighters, stewards and users in the staff global user group. Suppressed data can only be viewed and restored by users in these groups, with the exception of Ombuds who may view suppressed data (but not restore it).
Oversight and suppression are often used interchangeably. Oversight is derived from the deprecated MediaWiki extension Oversight, which has been replaced by a MediaWiki core feature known as RevisionDelete.
Initially, a MediaWiki extension called Oversight was used for hiding data from the public (including administrators); only users with
'oversight' right were able to view content which was oversighted. As it required database access to undo actions, a new system known as RevisionDelete was introduced as part of MediaWiki core in version 1.16 to replace Oversight.
RevisionDelete allowed suppressed edits and log entries to be restored without querying the database directly. In addition, it clearly identified in the page history what edits had been suppressed. In 2015, after converting the old oversighted actions to suppressed actions, the Oversight extension was removed from all Wikimedia wikis.
With MediaWiki's RevisionDelete feature, revision texts, edit summaries, and editor's username/IP address can be suppressed from page histories. On log entries, it is possible to suppress the target and parameters, edit summary, and the performer's username. Additionally, with
'hideuser' right, oversighters are able to suppress a username from all page edits and log entries when blocking a user.
Suppressions are logged privately and this log is only visible to the users in the aforementioned groups through Special:Log/suppress.
On Wikimedia wikis, users in oversight group have the following rights by default. Some wikis may have different configuration.
'deleterevision'— səhifənin konkret versiyasının silinməsi və bərpası
'deletelogentry'— Delete and undelete specific log entries
'hideuser'— İstifadəçi adına qadağa qoy və adın görünməsinin qarşısını al
'suppressrevision'— Səhifələrin gizli versiyalarına bax, gizlə və göstər
'suppressionlog'— Şəxsi qeydlərə bax
'abusefilter-hide-log'— Dəyişiklik süzgəci jurnalındakı qeydləri gizlət
'abusefilter-hidden-log'— Dəyişiklik süzgəci jurnalındakı gizli qeydlərə bax
This feature is approved for use in four cases:
- Removal of non-public personal information such as phone numbers, home addresses, workplaces or identities of pseudonymous or anonymous individuals who have not made their identity public, or of public individuals who have not made that personal information public.
- Removal of potentially libelous information either:
- on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel or
- when the case is clear, and there is no editorial reason to keep the revision.
- Removal of copyright violations on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel.
- Hiding of blatant attack names on automated lists and logs, where this does not disrupt edit histories. A blatant attack is one obviously intended to denigrate, threaten, libel, insult, or harass someone.
Local oversighters should generally handle local oversighting, when they're available. Stewards may perform local oversighting in emergencies, during crosswiki issues, or if there are no local oversighters available (see contact details).
Stewards can see oversighted revisions on all wikis and can grant themselves active oversight rights in emergency cases or on wikis without local oversighters when there’s a valid request. On any wiki, there must be at least two local oversighters, or none at all. This is so that they can mutually control and confirm their actions. If only one oversighter is left on a wiki (usually when the other retires or is removed), the community must appoint a new oversighter immediately or remove the remaining oversighter.
On wikis without an Arbitration Committee, the community must approve oversighters by consensus. The candidates must request it within the local community and advertise this request to the local community properly (community discussion page, mailing list, etc). After gaining consensus (at least 70–80% in pro/con voting or the highest number of votes in multiple choice elections) in their local community, and with at least 25–30 members' approval, the user should request access on Steward requests/Permissions with a link to the community's decision.
On wikis with an Arbitration Committee elected with 25–30 members' approval, users may also be appointed by the Arbitration Committee, unless the local community prefers independent elections. After agreement, a member of the local Arbitration Committee should place a request on Steward requests/Permissions.
Local administrators may also delete the specific revision or log entries containing the oversightable data, but it will continue to be visible to administrators until it is suppressed.
Removal of access
Oversight access is revoked by stewards, using rules adopted from the CheckUser policy. This section just describes steward practice.
Any user account with Oversight access that is inactive for more than a year will have their Oversight access removed.
In case of abusive use of the tool, the steward or the oversighter will have their access removed immediately. This will in particular happen if actions are done routinely without a serious motive to do so (links and proofs of bad behavior should be provided).
|This is not the place to request suppression. If you would like to request for hiding data, please note that private details should not be posted in public. See this page for details about how to contact an oversighter.|
For urgent cross wiki requests, find a steward in the #wikimedia-stewardsqoşul IRC channel and contact a steward privately.
Please do not post your request publicly.
All Wikimedia wikis
- Stewards can grant themselves temporary oversight access on individual wikis when needed.
- Please check if the wiki has their own local oversighters before approaching a steward; the list is below.
- Please do not put your request on the wiki or broadcast it on the public IRC channel. All requests should be made privately.
- Ombuds have the technical ability to view suppressed revisions.
- Users can contact stewards in the IRC channel #wikimedia-stewardsqoşul. Please ask for a steward in the channel, then make your request in a private message to that steward. Do not broadcast the request in the public channel. In emergencies, type
!stewardin the channel to get the attention of stewards.
- Send an email to the stewards' VRT private queue at stewards-oversightwikimediaorg (direct wiki interface), or
- send an email to any steward privately using Special:EmailUser.
Appointed by Arbcom
- AmandaNP (e-məktub)
- Amorymeltzer (e-məktub)
- Anarchyte (e-məktub)
- BDD (e-məktub)
- Barkeep49 (e-məktub)
- Beeblebrox (e-məktub)
- Bradv (e-məktub)
- Cabayi (e-məktub)
- CaptainEek (e-məktub)
- Donald Albury (e-məktub)
- Doug Weller (e-məktub)
- Dreamy Jazz (e-məktub)
- Drmies (e-məktub)
- Dweller (e-məktub)
- Enterprisey (e-məktub)
- GB fan (e-məktub)
- GorillaWarfare (e-məktub)
- HJ Mitchell (e-məktub)
- Izno (e-məktub)
- Jimbo Wales (e-məktub)
- KrakatoaKatie (e-məktub)
- Ks0stm (e-məktub)
- L235 (e-məktub)
- Lofty abyss (e-məktub)
- LuK3 (e-məktub)
- Mailer diablo (e-məktub)
- Maxim (e-məktub)
- Mz7 (e-məktub)
- Opabinia regalis (e-məktub)
- Oshwah (e-məktub)
- PhilKnight (e-məktub)
- Ponyo (e-məktub)
- Primefac (e-məktub)
- Richwales (e-məktub)
- Risker (e-məktub)
- Salvio giuliano (e-məktub)
- Stwalkerster (e-məktub)
- The Blade of the Northern Lights (e-məktub)
- Thryduulf (e-məktub)
- TonyBallioni (e-məktub)
- Vanamonde93 (e-məktub)
- Worm That Turned (e-məktub)
- Wugapodes (e-məktub)
- Xaosflux (e-məktub)
- Arcyon37 (e-məktub)
- Bédévore (e-məktub)
- JohnNewton8 (e-məktub)
- Jules* (e-məktub)
- Kropotkine 113 (e-məktub)
- Lomita (e-məktub)
- Alexei Kopylov (e-məktub)
- DR (e-məktub)
- Levg (e-məktub)
- Q-bit array (e-məktub)
- Tatewaki (e-məktub)
- Ле Лой (e-məktub)
Simple English Wikipedia
- Eldarion (e-məktub)
- Elmacenderesi (e-məktub)
- Taysin (e-məktub)
- Vikipolimer (e-məktub)
- Vito Genovese (e-məktub)
- Stewards are explicitly allowed to act in non-emergencies and the requests can go to them too