PhilWiki Community/Reports/2021 Report
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Report of activities: 2021
This page is the Annual Report of PhilWiki Community for the year 2021. It includes the activities of the organization from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
The Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group or PhilWiki Community was formed on 1 June 2015 to served as an organization of unaffiliated Wikipedians in the Philippines.
- January 1 - Wikipedia Philippine Month is launched starting with the Month of the Visayans for the whole month of January. Wikipedia PH Month promotes the creation or improvement of the Wikipedia content about a particular group or groups of people in the Philippines and the region they represent.
- January 6 - Organizational-Board Meeting was held in Naga City attended by Irvin Sto. Tomas (chair), Marvin Molin (secretary), Maffeth Opiana (treasurer), Leah Banastao, Ian Kenneth Orasa, Froy Berana, Maricon Opiana, and Marife Altabano. The agenda included: 2021 targets and activities, partnership with Kintab Artist Group, mayor's permit, BIR, etc., and other matters.
- January 13 - Wikipedia 20 Stickering Challenge was conducted as part of the upcoming 20th birthday of Wikipedia. Participants encouraged random people to get their cellphones stickered with Wikipedia logo.
- January 14 - The Wiki Loves Folklore PH Facebook page was launched for the promotion of the international photo competition in the Philippines. The competition runs for the whole month of February.
- January 15 - Filipino Wikipedians in Camarines Sur joined the world in celebrating Wikipedia's 20th birthday. The Philippine community based in Naga City has initiated and organized various activities despite the pandemic including WikiGap Challenge, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wikipedia Asian Month among others. Advocacy activities included Wikipedians appearing on a local program broadcasted over radio and social media platforms, and engaging vloggers and social media influencers in promoting Wikipedia. The Raul S. Roco Library which is run by City Government of Naga has been supportive of the Community's efforts for collaboration.
- PhilWiki Community supported Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom, a pilot program of Wiki Education Team in partnership with Department of Education - Division of Pasay City, concluded in November. Just three days before the Wikipedia 20 celebration, Bikol Wiktionary project was approved after years in incubation.
- January 18 - Meet-ups with Ringer, ChisoyWasabe, Filipinayd and Albay-based Jp2593 in Naga City.
- January 21 - PhilWiki Community moves to the Archive Section of Raul S. Roco Library as its main office. This section houses a rare collection of works of Philippine National Hero Dr. José P. Rizal and old magazines and newspapers in the Bicol Region. The city public library is now open to serve its clienteles.
- January 30 - In preparation for Wiki Loves Earth, the user group conducted nature photowalk and photoshoot at Isarog National Park in Tigaon, Camarines Sur.
- February 1-28 - Thru Wiki Loves Folklore PH Facebook page, the promotion of the international photo competition in the Philippines was conducted. The page featured past winners from the Philippines and posts about folklore to inspire followers in joining the competition. By February 5, the number of page followers reached 500. The Facebook page would continue to promote othe activities and competions on Wikipedia namely WikiGap Campaign PH, Wiki Loves Earth Philippines, Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos PH among others.
- March 5 - In partnership with Developh Community, the 1-hour WikiGAP: Closing the Digital Gender Gap discussion via livestream to launch WikiGap in the Philippines. PH-WC president Irvin Sto. Tomas introduced the activities of the organization and answered relevant issues related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement.
- March 7 - Wiki Loves Earth and Wikimedia Commons Workshop was among the topics at the Pagkarahay Art Festival 2021 organized by Kintab Artist Group, Inc. in partnership with the Local Government Unit of Minalabac and National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) held in Minalabac, Camarines Sur. PH-WC president talked about the international nature photography competition and free licensing. The 8-day art festival featured webinars, zoom and live streaming, arts exhibits, art installations, performance arts, murals, films, bands, yoga, zumba, open mic, talks and workshops on arts, literary, theatre, music and dance, bringing in the theme “Pagkarahay: Isip, Lawas, Kalag” (Healing: Mind, Body & Soul).
- March 18 - Ten teachers from Cararayan National High School attended a meet-up organized by Maffeth Opiana wherein she oriented the attendees with the on-going WikiGap Campaign. At least 10 of her co-teachers have also participated in past activities organized by PhilWiki Community including the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary in 2017, Wiki Loves Earth Philippines from 2018-2020, and WikiGap Campaign in 2020.
- March 20 - The 2021 annual general meeting was held on the 20th day of March, from 1:47 pm - 8:02 pm Philippine Time at Blackscoop Café, Naga City with live updates in Facebook messenger. Thirteen (13) members were in attendance, six were absent and one membership is suspended.
- The duly-elected as trustees to serve for a one-year term were: Ralff Nestor Nácor (9 votes - ELECTED), Maricris Gomez (7 votes - ELECTED), Irvin Sto. Tomas (7 votes - ELECTED), Leah Banastao (7 votes - ELECTED), Steven Fung (7 votes - ELECTED). Other members who received votes were: Marvin Molin (6), Ian Kenneth Orasa (3), Joseph Ciudadano (3), Ramon Olaño Jr. (2), Maffeth Opiana (2), Harold Gomez (1) and John Paul Collantes (1).
- At the first board meeting of the newly-elected trustees, Ralff was unanimously elected President/Chair with Steven as Vice-President/Vice Chair. To serve as the new Treasurer is Irvin while Leah was elected as the new Secretary. Appointed officers were Joseph as the new Auditor, and Ian Kenneth as the new Public Information Officer.
- March 24 - Milestone! Bikol Wikipedia has reached 11,000 articles with the creation of the biography of Armi Millare. #WikiGap
- March 29 - Milestone! The 40,000,000th edit on a Philippine-language based Wikipedia has been made. The combined total number of edits in all eight Philippine Wikipedia editions has passed the 40 million mark.
- April 8 - Ralff Nestor Nacor successfully completed the #100wikidays challenge on April 8, 2021. He is the first Filipino Wikipedian to win the challenge!
- April 9 - PhilWiki Community conducted a nature photowalk and photoshoot in Siruma, Camarines Sur in preparation for Wiki Loves Earth. Batuwanan Island and Siruma South Coastal Area (Vito-Cabugao-Sulpa) would be declared as Siruma Ecotourism Zone by the Philippine Congress later.
- April 19 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer). The agenda included: partnerships, membership, and other matters. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (4/19/2021), eleven (11) membership applications were unanimously approved.
- May 5 - Organizational-Board Meeting was held in Naga City attended by Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer); other attendees/past officers: Marvin Molin, Maffeth Opiana. The agenda included: transfer of duties of past officers to new officers, treasurer's report, organization's financial statements and percentage tax requirements, submission of copies of financial statements and general information sheet to the Securities and Exchange Commmission, new membership and privileges of regular members, and project initiatives and collaborations. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (5/5/2021), eight (8) membership applications were unanimously approved.
- May 22-23 - Five teachers from Cararayan National High School, Camarines Sur National High School, and San Juan National High School participated in a photowalk in Caramoan and Tigaon, Camarines Sur.
- May 25 - Wikimedia Commons tutorial and membership orientation were conducted in CBSUA Pili, Camarines Sur attended by some members of the faculty of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, and staff of Extension Services Division held at Central Bicol State University of Agriculture Main.
- May 29 - PH Virtual Meeting, a meeting via Google Meet attended by members of the Community, was held to connect with the group. New members were introduced and oriented.
- May 30 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas, Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary). The agenda included: membership, chapter, upcoming activities, and other matters. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (5/30/2021), seven (7) membership applications were unanimously approved. To date, PhilWiki Community has thirty-nine (39) members.
- June 1 - In partnership with Kintab Artists Group and Manapao Elementary School under District of Minalabac, PhilWiki Community conducted the first Wiki Loves Art mural painting.
- June 2 - PhilWiki Community members were asked: What do we want to achieve in the next 6 months as one Community? The word cloud is based on the answers of 21 respondents.
- June 5 - Community representatives talked about Community Chapters during the 2nd PH Virtual Meeting.
- June 12 - Organizational Meeting was held in Naga attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Irvin Sto. Tomas, (treasurer); Other attendees were Roderick Sumalinog and Maffeth Opiana. The agenda included: Dinner with the President, policy on the creation of a community branch, amendment of resolution on Member in Good Standing, membership, and other matters.
- June 15 - Meet-up with Ringer, Filipinayd and Manila-based Ralffralff in Naga City.
- June 19 - Wikimedians, artists, teachers and volunteers visited San Juan National High School in Libmanan, Camarines Sur for the Wiki Loves Art Mural Painting advocacy and outreach activity, which is part of the #Wikipedia20 global celebration. Decimo L. Espiritu, Ed.D., SNHS Secondary School Principal III, graced the ocassion and donated materials for the group's upcoming mural painting activities in his appreciation.
- June 19 - Four teachers joined a photowalk at Cabusao Critical Habitat in Cabusao, Camarines Sur.
- June 19 — Engr. Ralff Nestor Nacor served as a guest speaker on Chemical Engineers and the Food & Beverage Industry at the Philippine Institute of Chemical Engineers - Junior Chapter Luzon (PIChE-JCL) Fair 2021 attended by B.S. Chemical Engineering students from Luzon via Zoom. Aside from sharing his experience as a chemical engineer, he also presented his volunteer works as a Wikipedian advocating the science information in the local language.
- June 21 - Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom PH Facebook page was launched to help increase the awareness of the Education program of WMF as well as PhilWiki Community among teachers and students. In one of its first posts, the page announced PhilWiki Community's Localization and Contextualization of Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom - Teacher's Guide Modules of the Education Team, through collaboration of teachers, writers and volunteers, is an initiative project. The goal of the project is to localize and contextualize the materials produced by the Education Team for the future use of the Community. The project also serves as a venue for teachers to get acquainted with the Wikimedia Movement through Education programs. Initially, the Community aims the localization and contextualization of the modules.
- June 25 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer), Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), and Leah Banastao (secretary). The agenda included: approval of a resolution on Policy on Establishing a Philippine Wikimedia Community Branch, branch officers, expansion of Board and/or Officers, and Wiki editing contest for the members of the user group.
- June 27 - Wiki Loves Art Mural Painting was conducted at Central Bicol State University of Agriculture - Pili Main Campus.
- July 26 - Thru Wiki Loves Folklore PH Facebook page, the winners of Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 international competition are announced: Over 7700 entries, we are happy to announce the six winning photos from the Philippines who made it to the international round. We are so proud of you! Continue showcasing the beauty of our culture. The entries from the Philippines which received recognition are the following: 2nd Place - The Yellow Fellowship by Herbert Kikoy, 3rd Place - Pintaflores Queen by Francisco Pajares, Jr., Consolation Winners - Cultural dance of Sinulog Festival in Cebu, Philippines by Wynn Loner U. Uy, Sinulog Festival Ritual Dance by Jumelito Capilot, Matigsalug Elders by Theglennpalacio, and Strings of the Ancient by Herbert Kikoy.
- August 1 - Thru Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom PH Facebook page, the announcement of WMF Education Team's Training of Trainers is published. The page has over 150 followers to date.
- August 25 - Thru Wiki Loves Folklore PH Facebook page, promotion of the activity on illustrating Wikipedia articles using quality photos from Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 was published. The activity runs from August 25 to September 25.
- August 30 - Wikimedians took a day off from the on-going Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos 2021, WLF 2021 Illustrate Wikipedia articles, and other online activities to get together for the Wiknic Naga 2 held at Naga Ecology Park.
- September 3 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet. The Board unanimously passed resolutions on Policy on Code of Conduct, Grievance Committee, and Member Expulsion after a series of discussions among the members.
- September 4 - PhilWiki Community and other stakeholders volunteered for the Brigada Eskwela 2021 at Bikol High School for the Arts and Culture in preparation for the opening of classes. The Community conducted a dialogue with the school head on a posible partnership together with Parasurat Bikolnon and Kintab Artists Group.
- September 15 - Thru Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom PH Facebook page, the call of WMF Education Team for EduWiki Outreach Collaborators is published for information dessimination which applications are accepted until 5th October.
- October 8 - Thru Wiki Loves Folklore PH Facebook page, the promotion of Wiki Loves Fashion in the Philippines was published. The announcement invites photography enthusiasts to participate in Wiki Loves Fashion photography contest to exciting prizes. Wiki Loves Fashion photography contest aims to increase the images related to Philippine fashion and to different underrepresented ethnic groups in the Philippines.
- October 20 Over 200 printed copies of the localized version of the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom booklets were provided to teachers and students of San Juan National High School.
- November 2 - A meetup with teacher-writers from Cavite National High School, Ragay National Agriculture and Fishery School, and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture was done to introduce Wikipedia as a learning tool and platform.
- November 25-30 - Pagkarahay Art Festival 3 sponsored by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), Kintab Artist Group Inc., Isarog Garden Society Foundation Inc. in partnership with the city government of Naga, Metropolitan Naga Water District and PhilWiki Community was held at Naga City Ecology Park. On the part of PhilWiki Community, it conducted Wiki Loves Art Photo Hunt, discussions on Wikipedia as part of its 14th Bikol Wikipedia Day celebration, and Wiknic gathering. The 6-day art festival will feature art exhibit, murals, art installations, painting competition, photo walk, Wiknic, traditional games, open forum, art talks and concert. This year's festival has a theme “Kapalibutan: Burabod nin buhay” (Environment: Source of life).
- December 11 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Facebook. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (12/11/2021), four (4) membership applications were unanimously approved. To date, PhilWiki Community has forty-three (43) members.
- December 12 - Release of the result of PhilWiki Community engagement survey conducted from 26 September to 30 November 2021 to learn the capacity and engagement of the members in the organization and in the movement.
- ↑ WikiGap: Closing the Digital Gender Gap YouTube. Uploaded on March 6, 2021
- ↑ IN CELEBRATION OF NATIONAL ARTS MONTH: 2nd pagkarahay art festival launched
- ↑ Kintab Artist Group, Inc. holds 2nd Pagkarahay Art Festival amid the pandemic by Ana-Liza S. Macatangay. Philippine Information Agency. Published on March 10, 2021