Proposals for closing projects/Closure of Akan Wikipedia 2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a proposal for closing and/or deleting a wiki hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. It is subject to the current closing projects policy.
The proposal for closing ak: is accepted and the proposed actions should be taken.
- A Language Committee member provided the following comment: The Language Committee proposed to implement the proposal and there was no objection from the Board of Trustees. The wiki will be closed and the Twi and Fante projects are open to content in their respective languages. Remaining articles on akwiki will be moved to twwiki, if needed, and deleted. I will request the closure of the wiki on Phabricator when the preparations are done. --MF-W 12:41, 1 April 2023 (UTC)
- Type: 2 (non-routine proposal)
- Proposed outcome: closure
- Proposed action regarding the content: Move all the articles to the Twi Wikipedia, and change the main page to point to the Twi Wikipedia and the Fante Incubator. Twi and Fante are the two varieties of Akan
- Notice on the project: Discussion
- Informed Group(s): Wikimedia Ghana User Group (notification)
I am requesting a closure for the following reasons;
- The language is the same in both ak and tw.
- There are articles in both Akuapem and Asante under ak and tw Wikipedia.
- Akan includes Fante, but Fante is not used anywhere on the Akan Wikipedia, and it also has its own ISO 639 language code, fat.
- . Some articles are identical
- There are fewer than 600 articles in ak. They can be moved to tw in reasonable time. Some of them have been moved already. Robertjamal12 ~🔔 22:31, 21 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support per ak_and_tw_Wikipedias —M@sssly✉ 19:34, 21 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support because Akan is not a language but the name of the clan. Akwapim Twi, Asante Twi and Fante to mention a few are languages. daSupremo 17:12, 23 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support. Akan is a tribe name therefore it will prudent to merge the Akan which has content of the Twi dialect. For instance, Ga Wikipedia cannot be named as Ga Adamgbe because it is collective name for the various tribes and clans. - Uprising Man.
- Strong support Akan is the name of people speaking Twi hence Twi Wikipedia makes a lot of sense. Just like we don't have Dagomba wikipedia but Dagbani wikipedia, or white wikipedia but English wikipedia et al, I think it's prudent to merge these two wikipedia platform to have more participation from the language speakers. Dnshitobu (talk) 01:53, 24 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support. It is only useful to merge Akan and Twi Wikipedia to avoid duplication of information on both platforms since they both represent the same thing. Ruby D-Brown (talk) 14:46, 27 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support I support this proposal because Akan is not a language but the name of an ethnic group, and within that, they have several dialects; Twi is one of them. So it's only prudent that Akan Wikipedia is merged with the Twi Wikipedia. Thank You. Owula kpakpo (talk) 07:26, 29 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support All contents on ak: looks closely like Twi, not Akan, and as said by else peoples above, Akan isn't a language, but a collection of several languages. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 09:44, 29 April 2022 (UTC)
- Support Inactive wiki, on incubator or Twe Wikipedia is better. AlPaD (talk) 14:31, 1 May 2022 (UTC)
- Support It would be more prudent to keep the Twi Wikipedia since Twi is the language (Dialects including Akuapim Twi, Asante Twi). Just like it done on the English Wikipedia, where the English dialect is indicated eg. Ghanaian English, British English, American English. Similar thing can be done for the Twi, if its written in Akuapim Twi or Asante Twi, etc. I agree 100% with the proposal. Ampimd (talk) 23:35, 2 May 2022 (UTC)
- Support per the existence of Ak and Tw wikis. Rubbish computer Ping me or leave a message on my talk page 04:52, 15 May 2022 (UTC)
- Support as an inactive wiki and closely like Twi. Thingofme (talk) 13:31, 28 May 2022 (UTC)
- Support I don't know which is the better target, but given that there are no Fante articles at .ak, .tw is perhaps better. Kwamikagami (talk) 08:11, 12 July 2022 (UTC)
- Comment the proposal should be reclassified as a type 2 non-routine proposal, as there clearly is an Akan/Twi userbase and there is activity, which would result in ruling against the closure per the closure guidelines. Closing and merging duplicate projects definitely do not fall within the scope of routine proposals. --126.96.36.199 07:59, 18 July 2022 (UTC)
- modified Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 23:08, 18 July 2022 (UTC)
- Support. It's a redundant wiki. --Agusbou2015 (talk) 18:55, 22 September 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support Akan is the name given to people who speak some related languages like Twi, Fante, Nzema and so on hence Twi Wikipedia makes a lot of sense. So I think it's important and to merge these two wikipedia platform to have more participation from the language speakers, editors and contributors. - Yaw tuba (talk) 10:03, 18 November 2022 (UTC)
- Support as redundant to twwiki. --SHB2000 (talk | contribs) 06:30, 24 January 2023 (UTC)