Queering Wikipedia/Travel

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Program Fringe Events Registration & Participants




Reports, Reviews

Queering Wikipedia logo


How to get to the venue and hotel[edit]

From Linz Central Station[edit]

Emojione 1F687.svg

From Linz Central Station you can take a bus or a tram to the venue and hotel. The following bus line is possible: 12 (direction Karlhof). The bus ride takes about 10 mins. Get off at Parkbad bus stop. Or you take any tram (direction Universität or Landgutstraße) and get off at “Hauptplatz” tram stop and enjoy a walk.

You get bus and tram tickets at the ticket vending machines (marked LINZ AG LINIEN) at Linz Central Station. A ticket in one direction costs 2.30 Euro, choose the one called MIDI-Karte. A 24-hours-ticket costs 4.50 Euro and offers unlimited rides on the public transport system.

From Vienna International Airport[edit]

Emoji u1f6ec.svg

There’s a direct train connection between Vienna International Airport and Linz Central Station which is served multiple times per hour during daytime. Depending on the train, the journey lasts 1 h 41 mins or a little longer.

Train travel in Austria is regarded as safe and reliable. The railway line is served by ÖBB, Austria’s national railway system. Information and tickets: oebb.at/en


Schengen area

Visas for stays of up to 90 days are not required for citizens of the EU, the EEA and Switzerland, much of Eastern Europe, Israel, USA, Canada, the majority of Central and South American nations, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand. All other nationalities, including nationals of Belarus, China and Russia, require a visa. For some nationals a biometric passport is required.

Austria is part of the Schengen Agreement, which includes all EU states (minus the United Kingdom and Ireland) and other states. In practical terms this means a visa issued by one Schengen country is good for all the other member countries. You can stay for a maximum of 90 days within a time frame of 180 days.

Please check whether or not you need a visa to enter Austria:

More and detailed information on the Schengen Visa:

List of Austrian embassies where you can apply:

Wikimedia Austria (WMAT) will need you to provide following information to help you with your visa:

  • a copy/scan of your passport
  • your date of birth and place of birth
  • your current address of residence
  • your travel dates and information

We strongly recommend that you check the amount of time needed for applications to Schengen states and apply as early as possible. You will need to make an appointment with the closest Austrian embassy/consulate in your area. If there is no Austrian embassy/consulate you may have to visit the embassy/consulate of another European Union country. You can find a list of embassies/consulates on the website of the Austrian Ministry for Foreign Affairs: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassies-consulates/search-for-austrian-representations/

Moreover, please note that if you are transiting certain countries (e.g. USA, United Kingdom) en route to Linz, you may also be required to apply for a transit visa. WMAT can assist you with your visa application and will provide the following documents:

  • Letter of invitation
  • Copy of registration of association of WMAT
  • Copy of identity card from the person signing the letter of invitation
  • Electronic Guarantee Letter (EVE) (scholarship holders only)
  • Foreign travel health insurance (scholarship holders only)
  • Travel plan for your flight / train (scholarship holders only)
  • Hotel room booking confirmation (scholarship holders only)

Please only reserve your flight and book your flight once the visa is successfully issued to you. In case you also successfully apply for a scholarship the flight reservation as well as the booking will be handled by Wikimedia Austria.