Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Amis
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Amis|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ami (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Amis||Language name in English|
|Language name||Pangcah / 'Amis||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q35132 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikipitiya||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Wikipitiya_kasasowal||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Taipei||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 12:34, 1 September 2017 (UTC)
This test is doing particularly well considering its contents and page statistics. It's a shame it has only got one single (active) editor. Building a larger community surrounding it would be the number one task to ensure the continuity of the project as well as its approval. --OosWesThoesBes (talk) 11:34, 8 March 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose as there was only one contributor to the test site, this contributor has not edited since 2017. Would need more contributors to take off as a project. Rubbish computer (Talk: Contribs) 14:18, 21 October 2019 (UTC)
There is no need to "support" or "oppose" the promotion of a test wiki into a standalone wiki (AKA a new subdomain) once the language has been verified as eligible. Use of those templates (or equivalents) invites uninformed users to start "voting" here as if it will make any difference. It won't. Of course, any evidence of attempts to make a test wiki look like it is meeting the criteria for final approval when it really isn't can be pointed out here — as can evidence that the test wiki is meeting the criteria but apparently being ignored (although in that case a comment left at Talk:Language committee would be more effective) — but those kinds of issues can be discussed in "normal" comments (like Ooswesthoesbes's comment above), without being formatted as !votes. - dcljr (talk) 01:08, 22 October 2019 (UTC)
Namespace and logo translations
Hello! I am happy to announce that we (the language committee) have just approved the creation of the Amis Wikipedia. Before it can be created, however, there are some things we need:
- The name for the project, i.e. "Wikipedia" in Amis
- The name for the project talk namespace, i.e. "Wikipedia talk" in Amis
- Translation of the logo (i.e. "Wikipedia" and "The free encyclopedia") in Amis
- Translation of the following namespaces into Amis (I have pasted in the Traditional Chinese translations; please replace them with the Amis translations):
$namespaceNames = [ NS_MEDIA => '媒體', NS_SPECIAL => '特殊', NS_TALK => '討論', NS_USER => '用戶', NS_USER_TALK => '用戶討論', NS_PROJECT_TALK => '$1討論', NS_FILE => '檔案', NS_FILE_TALK => '檔案討論', NS_MEDIAWIKI => 'MediaWiki', NS_MEDIAWIKI_TALK => 'MediaWiki討論', NS_TEMPLATE => '模板', NS_TEMPLATE_TALK => '模板討論', NS_HELP => '幫助', NS_HELP_TALK => '幫助討論', NS_CATEGORY => '分類', NS_CATEGORY_TALK => '分類討論', ];
Also: Does Amis use capital letters at the start of sentences, like English (and most other Latin-alphabet languages), or does it not (like Sakizaya)?
@Iyumu: Jon Harald Søby (talk) 13:12, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- Good day. For the first 3 translation, we have done. Please see below.
- 1. Wikipitiya
- 2. Wikipitiya_kasasowal
- 3. paifaloco’an pitiya a tilid
- And the rest of the translation for namespaces, we still need some time to discuss about it. Thank you. iyumu 00:50, 15 October 2021 (UTC)
@Jon Harald Søby:: Good day. Please see the translation of namespaces in Amis language below.
$namespaceNames = [ NS_MEDIA => 'mitiya', NS_SPECIAL => 'kasi’iked', NS_TALK => 'kasasowal', NS_USER => 'midemakay', NS_USER_TALK => 'kasasowal no midemakay', NS_PROJECT_TALK => '$1 a kasasowal', NS_FILE => 'faylo', NS_FILE_TALK => 'masasowal to faylo', NS_MEDIAWIKI => 'MediaWiki', NS_MEDIAWIKI_TALK => 'masasowal to MediaWiki', NS_TEMPLATE => 'masalipa', NS_TEMPLATE_TALK => 'masalipaay a kasasowal', NS_HELP => 'nipadama’', NS_HELP_TALK => 'mipadama’ a masasowal', NS_CATEGORY => 'kasasiwasiw', NS_CATEGORY_TALK => 'masasowal to kasasiwasiw', ];
And for Amis writing, they use capital letters at the beginning of sentences like English. Thank you. iyumu 03:18, 25 October 2021 (UTC)
- The translation of NS_PROJECT_TALK is updated. Thanks. iyumu 08:36, 25 October 2021 (UTC)