Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kotava
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Kotava|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||avk (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Kotava||Language name in English|
|Language name||Kotava||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1377116 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||See this page for a list of the active Kotava community on the project|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
I think that we would need a Kotava language Wikipedia. --188.8.131.52 03:06, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
Support : Kotava exists since 1978. Its community is small, not proselytizing but nevertheless active. This project is already progressing well in the incubator and I am sure it will remain active and of good quality if it will be officially open. Amongst the constructed languages, except Esperanto, Kotava is certainly the one with the strongest literary development, with many translations and original texts. Among other fields that will be strong on the encyclopedia, there is Africa (look for example the "portal" about Tanzania), prehistory, history more generally, the Russian world widely, the geography and some other themes. On the other hand, for the moment at least, the scientific fields (medicine, mathematics, chemistry, etc.) are weak points.
Languages die every day, unfortunately. Others, very rare, are born and need space and benevolence to grow and to blossom. Wikipedia must fit into this free way of life. Thank you. --Axel xadolik (talk) 07:23, 9 January 2019 (UTC)
- I'm going to put this on hold for a time. There is a fairly high bar to have a conlang marked as eligible. So I'd like to give this test community a little time to solidify before I start discussing this request with LangCom. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:59, 25 January 2019 (UTC)
Strong support. I contribute to this project in the incubator which is very active and diverse. There are already more than 2500 articles. What is the bar required to be validated? What time is needful, a year, ten years, the engulfment of Amsterdam under the water? Biscuit 26507 (talk) 09:18, 14 June 2019 (UTC)
Support : The speakers of Kotava are widely scattered throughout the world and this project is a wonderful way to federate them intelligently and to share their knowledge and culture. Seramikya (talk) 09:47, 10 July 2019 (UTC)
- (eo) Saluton Fenikals.
- La Kotava parlantaro ja estas malgranda sed aktivegas kaj ĝiaj uzantoj estas altnivelaj. Ekzemple vidu literarurajn tradukaĵojn de verkoj de rusaj beletristoj kiel Шолохов, Гроссман, Короленко, Неверов, Пастернак, Чехов, Толстой, Достоевский, Замятин, ktp. Kaj ĉe la Kovilo artikoloj kiel tiu koncerne al la gulago de Kolima aŭ esplorantoj de Siberio.
- Ne opiniu laŭ kelka konkurado kaj plibone informiĝetu. Amike.
- (avk) Va Fenikals kiavá.
- Kotavusa doda efe tir pinafa voxe tegipir isen avusik tid ontinekaf. Tulon disukel va kalkotavaks va grabom ke rossiavaf suterotik dum Coloxov is Grosman is Korolenko is Neverov is Pasternak is Tcexov is Tolstoy is Dostoyevski is Zamyatin ikz-. Isen dene Incubator xadola, va teliz dum tel icde Gulag pemaxobolk ke Kolima ok vestasik va Sibira.
- Ton tuelicara me trakul voxe lokiewon cenkadamal !! Noton. Nevatovol (talk) 10:05, 31 July 2019 (UTC)
Support: I just saw this proposition. Kotava is not a "big" language and will probably never be, but it's one of the actually original IALs that have the most dedicated community of speakers. I'm sure that they could keep a Wikipedia living and growing --Theomanou (talk) 14:37, 22 August 2019 (UTC)