Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Maghrebi Arabic
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Maghrebi Arabic Wikipedia
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Maghrebi Arabic|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||(SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Maghrebi Arabic||Language name in English|
|Language name||Darija||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1194795 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Grammar Book, Orthography Book||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- Maltese Wikipedia
- Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Algero-moroccan arabic
Arguments in Favour
- Favor Egyptian Arabic has over 100,000 articles on Wikipedia so why can't meghrebi arabic do the same. I agree that we don't want too many arabic dialects on Wikipedia, but if you just have the major ones like meghrebi, mesri, khaliji, shami, etc. I don't see a problem. I think it will help spread information especially to younger populations who can't understand formal arabic as well; after all, isn't the spread of information the purpose anyways?
- Oppose I think it's a bad idea. Personally (as moroccan) I understand Algerian & Tunisian Arabic with difficulty especially when they introduce some frensh words or when they speak quickly. By the way, Moroccan Arabic have some words from Spanish which doesn't exist in Algerian & Tunisian (for ex: صباط (Sbbat) from Zapatos means Shoe).--A. SADIQUI (Talk) 16:43, 31 October 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose --Alaa :)..! 11:43, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose it is not a separate language but rather an accent of arabic language--مصعب (talk) 12:24, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose No ISO code, please just contribute at Arabic Wikipedia! --22.214.171.124 08:32, 25 September 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose--أبو هشام السوعان (talk) 10:50, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose What a absurd coincidences! Migration season to the absurd. -- صالح (talk) 19:52, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose As long as there is an Arabic encyclopedia, there is no benefit from this project. --عبد الله (talk) 06:21, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose-- All Arab countries speak Arabic and understand it why you wants to differentiates between the Arab peoples.--Bander7799 (talk) 09:03, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose All speakers of Maghrebi understand and speak Arabic as an official language. So I'm definitely against these projects.--Faisal talk 15:49, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose No need to create too many Arabic dialects wikis, their users can and should contribute to ar:. --126.96.36.199 09:01, 24 July 2019 (UTC)