Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Quenya
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Quenya|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||qya (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Quenya||Language name in English|
|Language name||Ouenya||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q56383 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||No and never any||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task. It will include everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings. After creating the task, add a link to the comment.|
Quenya is the most popular of Tolkien-created languages; in enwiki there is more than 100 users who know quenya and, maybe, can egit this wiki. In ruwiki there is a user that speaks natively. --Cat of the Six (talk) 15:41, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
One can't have a Wikipedia with an ISO 639-3 language code, period. Even after that,qya is a valid ISO 639-3 code. Still, the only artificial languages to get Wikipedias have languages designed for human communication, not for artistic reasons. The Klingon Wikipedia was moved from Wikipedia to Wikia; see History of the Klingon Wikipedia. Quenya would suffer the same problems, including I believe an even more incomplete grammar and vocabulary.--Prosfilaes (talk) 05:37, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
- Fixed parameter, as iso639-3:qua means en:Quapaw language, not Quenya. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 01:19, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
- Oppose for now, but support in the future. --18.104.22.168 04:08, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
- Oppose for now, there is a Wikia for this, which I support. Elenire (talk) 15:58, 16 July 2016 (UTC)
- Oppose There is no recognition nor a valid ISO language code. Does it even have a complete grammar? This is a artistic-purposed language, not intended for human communication. --Zerabat (discusión) 13:47, 5 September 2016 (UTC)
- qya is a valid ISO 639-3 code for the language.--Prosfilaes (talk) 05:58, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
- Comment. There is Neo-Quenya Wiki at Wikia for quenya. --Danvintius Bookix (talk) 18:08, 17 September 2016 (UTC)