Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Shughni
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Shughni|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||sgh (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Shughni||Language name in English|
|Language name||xuγ̌nůn ziv||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34053 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
Shughni language is spoken by more than 60,000 people in Tajikistan and Afghanistan. With the growing community of Internet users in Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Province of Tajikistan and Northern Afghanistan, there are more chances to have high-quality contributors to the Wikipedia in this language,
Arguments in favour
- Creating Wikipedia in Shughni language will in some way save it from extinction, as far as there are less written sources of Shughni language and it is currently taught to children in families, not in schools. Shughni Wikipedia can become one of the main sources of knowledge in this language. Bektour (talk) 17:11, 11 May 2013 (UTC)
- Shughni speaking minority will be included to the internet community with a possibility to get more excess to the information\ knowledge, which is also can be viewed as empowering people.
- Shughni speaking people are not in minority ( government does a good job making it one), there are actually a lot of people speaking Pamirian language, so adding this type of language to wikipedia will give a way for Shughni speaking people to develop, in turms of knowledge.
- I am for the preservation of the Shugni language. So the bulk of the Pamirs speak this language. All Pamirs speak this language among themselves.
- They are also present on the Internet and often use the capabilities of the network (social networks in the first place). This means that there will be potential contributors to the Wikipedia project among them.
- It will be good to provide a place where they will receive the knowledge of their ancestors, share texts, thus preserving the language of their ancestors and their real consciousness.
- I would not like the language of the Pamirs to disappear like the Avestan language, they have very similar features. TajikMaterialist 21:28, 19 December 2022 (UTC)
- The language does not have a standard, commonly accepted alphabet
- There is no widely available font for the language
- Native shugnis widely use Tajik for written communication