Requests for new languages/Wikispecies Greek
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikispecies Greek|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||el (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Greek||Language name in English|
|Language name||Ελληνικά||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9129 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Βικιείδη||"Wikispecies" in your language|
|Project namespace||Βικιείδη||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Βικιπαίδεια Συζήτηση:Wikispecies (non- crafted)||"Wikispecies talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikispices-logo.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Europe/Athens-Constantinople (Istanbul) GMT +02:00||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Here is the main page of the incubated Greek wikispecies.
The Greek language is the richest (in words) of the world. She has the most linguistic sounds. We need a Greek version of Wikispecies. Let something pioneering the Greek language. Since there is already English version why not begin to be issued in other languages? So far there is only the English version.--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 15:30, 8 September 2016 (UTC)
- Gts-tg (talk) 16:59, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- species: is a multi-lingual project, like c: and d:. If you would like to add Greek content, please do through the mw:Translate Extension and by suggesting edits to species:Wikispecies:Localization (we don't presently have Greek, but we could!) —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 07:08, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
- There is no "English version of Wikispecies". The proponent has made no edits to Wikispecies, but would be welcome to do so, as Koavf explains. Here, for example is the addition of a vernacular name in Greek. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 18:09, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
- --Murma174 (talk) 22:06, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
- Since the Translate extension is installed on species, why don't we just use species:Special:LanguageStats?language=el? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 11:11, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- @Ρητά και παροιμίες: You can see why Requests for new languages/Wikispecies Simple English and Requests for new languages/Wikispecies Macedonian are rejected, best regards. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 11:24, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- @Liuxinyu970226:Thanks. The same happens with the ancient Greek Wikipedia. This is the fourth time that it has been requested. Take position you support or oppose effort?--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 11:29, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- From what I see both requests made before about eight years. It may now be something different. Four years after the creation of wikispecies made requests. Now place twelve years after the creation.--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 11:37, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- The richness of a language is not a reason to start a version of another wiki. Wikispecies has no other languages, and one could see that the translation system in place, and the use of infoboxes from Wikidata is a means to better create items. Using a front page link as example from Wikispecies it links to species:Hylobates agilis and that page could easily be presented using translate functionality. Another new wiki does not seem to be the way to proceed, especially on the premise proposed. — billinghurst sDrewth 14:08, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
@Billinghurst: what is the evil of the case? To say that is Knowledge database eg wikidata or venture of the system so you do not need new venture. I know that does not play a role but It is an electronic encyclopedia about animals. I think there must be in other languages. And why only in English?--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 16:51, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
- Against I don't see any point for a separate wikispecies in any language, as long as Wikispecies provides support for different languages within itself. Wikispecies is a specialised directory containing the same set of items with the same properties, not a much more general encyclopedia that could merit the creation of a new instance based on a different language. Gts-tg (talk) 16:59, 7 September 2016 (UTC)
User:Koavf instead of translating can not have a project for each language and not a single. We can! They can be issued also in other languages.--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 07:50, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
User:Koavf I know that is multilingual project but has no relation to the commons and wikidata. The commons are shared media storage and wikidata is knowledge database while wikispecies is list all species and encyclopedia for species.--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 08:03, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
- @Ρητά και παροιμίες: Wikispecies is not an encyclopedia, so its content is supposed to be language-neutral. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 08:13, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
User:Koavf the wikispecies provide information about all the species on the planet Earth. There are elderly people who do not know English there are untranslated or semi translated pages.He will not understand anything or will not get into trouble to search the Greek , Bulgarian , Turkish matches from the English page . To change the default language (which of course is English ) must be entered . Older people do not know of such. If there were Greek , German , Turkish would be much easier for the elderly. He googling Βκιείδη would seek in Βικιείδη what they wanted and would end. Chuck bam !--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 08:37, 9 September 2016 (UTC)
User:Pigsonthewing, I know. I want to be. To be created the English, Greek version etc. That would be best. Why there is the English monopoly. Not the board game monopoly. Monopoly.--Sayings and proverbs (talk) 13:23, 10 September 2016 (UTC)